Wanna go med- GPA not too hot!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biffer

The good times doc
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently a junior at the University of Pennsylvania majoring in the Biological Basis of Behavior(a mix of neuro and behavioral science.) My GPA thus far hasn't been too stellar (3.3 and Sci GPA around 3.2) but I am still hard core pre med-and will do what it takes with the time left in college. I have confidence that I can do well on the MCATs-I have taken practice tests without studying and have done pretty well. I have also done volunteer work in local nursing homes-and at Penn I am a member of the exec. board of a prominent Tutoring/Mentoring Group-as well as the board of the larger Community service organization at Penn.
Should I apply after senior year and when is the best time for me to apply?-I understand that med school's use rolling admissions.
Do I have a shot if I beef up my grades in the next three semesters?

Thanks,
Biffer

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, there's always hope for getting in, but in reality, there's too many things you haven't completed for one to give an assessment (i.e. MCAT results, final science GPA, cum GPA, etc.)

As you've heard many times before, raise that science GPA as high as you can with your remaining upper-level science classes and kick butt on the MCAT (30 or above). Medical schools look for upward trends in academic performance, so try to make it painfully obvious you mean buisiness!! Suggestions of suitable upperlevel courses would be Biochem, Genetics, Molecular Bio., Cell Bio. or Human Phys. Good luck!
My .02.

Ibis,
Thanks for the advice-I will defintley load up on science-But is it a better strategy to take somewhat less time consuming(or at least for me)upper level psychology courses-assuming they count for sci GPA. I will definitley take Bio-Chem though.

Thanks again,
Biffer
(Ibis Mountain bike Frames are sweet-chances are your name does not refer to these,haha.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Biffer-
Your right!! It's actually Ibis, the mascot of U. of Miami.

As far as upper-level science courses, Psychology courses will not count towards your Science GPA. Only classes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math will apply. Just remember to construct a rigorous, yet feasible, semester schedule and obtain as many A's as possible!!! (In short, you need to demonstrate you can handle med school.) Good luck!!

I think it would be wise to suggest that in addition to loading up on higher-level science courses to get a good-looking background (if you do well in these classes, it will hopefully allow admission committees to see that you can handle the material.. at least on an undergrad level), you shouldn't neglect taking courses in other areas that might be of interest to you. Having some diversity.. and perhaps even diversity with a direction.. can help put another point on your "paper" that you are a well-rounded person. Besides, my view is that after college, I probably won't have the time to take courses in other areas of interest, so you might want to take advantage of it while you are still in college (Besides, UPenn is an awesome school!)

What does this mascot "Ibis" look like anyway? Heh.