Wanna play What are my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wgsutherland

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who wants to play "What are my chances"????

Submitted my Application 11/5, I am waiting to have it verified.

Applied to PCOM CCOM OCOM DMUC KCOM MSUC MDNJ NYCO WUHS NOVA UNEC LECO AZCO TUCO

Age 29
Sex M
AACOMAS GPA 3.3
MCAT 27 (7P, 8B, 12V, Q) (August, 1st try)

Graduated from top 25 liberal arts college, psychology.
Ivy League Post-Bac Program.
In a social science MA program at a top 10 university.

Uneven post-bac science work; I re-took organic twice still got a C. Reason - I suck at Organic. My other science classes were are fairly solid. I have re-taken a few other classes over the years.

6 years of clinical work experience in high acuity medical and psychiatric settings at much at Ivy affiliated hospitals.

Extensive research experience - clinical research interviewer at top ranked psychiatry department - published book chapter, several presentations at major conferences, returned as teaching assistant at my undergrad college.

Research assistant on an Ivy affiliated OMT outcome study.

15 LOR to premed committee.

Strong DO letters/contacts from politically relevant physicians.

DO applicant only; high motivation, interested and understanding of osteopathic medicine.

But, MY APPLICATION IS LATE and I am freaking out!

What are my chances?????

Members don't see this ad.

As long as the schools got your primary application within deadliine, I would say your chance to get in either one school is pretty good. My 2nd application was not complete until May and I still got into 3 schools and waitlisted on one. Just relax and make sure your application material are in before deadline. Good luck.:)

You'll get into one of them

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine! Good luck with everything, and try not to get too stressed out in the whole process!

Thanks everyone! Its hard not get a little freaked - so many people seem much farther along than I am.

Over 200 views and only 3 messages does anybody else wanna play????

You could post your stats and give this a whirl too.........

It would be interesting to see how accurate SDNers are at predicting acceptances.

Where are you from? That could factor into the decision.

How well can you communicate in an interview? Important as well.

There is no way of predicting anything. This medical school things is odd sometimes.

You applied to 14 schools.
9 of those schools would be in my "Top 10 DO schools" list.

I'm guessing you will get interview invites from at least 9 schools, and depending on how well your interviews go, you could get accepted at 8 or 9 of them.

Have fun.

Hey ..

I agree in that you will get interviews at schools. I applied to NOVA, UNECOM, PCOM, OUCOM, and DMUCOM and will apply to UHS. I thought that I had an outside chance at NOVA considering I had a 3.35 overall, 3.30 science, and a pretty decent MCAT score. However, I was granted an interview. I think they look beyond the numbers. Behind my numbers is a lot of extracurriculars. Not only am I student, but I was also a high school coach as well as a volunteer and employee at a highly recognized children's hospital. Furthermore, if they see dedication and motivation, I am sure you will get in. They want people who can hack it not only intellectually but sociall, and physically. I can assure you that you will get opportunities with your background. I hope this helps.

Alright, I'll play!

Sex: F
Undergrad: tier 1 liberal arts school
Majors: Biology, Pre-med
Minors: Chemistry, Psychology
EMT certified & licensed
1yr biochemical research -- full-time
1yr genetics research -- full-time
AACOMAS GPA: 3.65
MCAT: Composite 25 all 4 times I took it! (Cursed number)
Apr. 2000: 9VR, 8BS, 8PS, O W
Aug. 2000: 9VR, 7PS, 7BS, Q W
Apr. 2001: 8VR, 8PS, 9BS, N W
Aug. 2002L 10VR, 6PS, 9BS, Q W

this is the 3rd time applying to school, but 1st applying to osteopathic schools. (I never really had the facts about DO schools because our advising SUCKED at school when they got rid of the advisor that had a 90% student placement record.) Last year I got wait-listed at the University of Wisconsin.

Opinions?

Oops - forgot 1 important thing...

Interviews:
UW - Nov. 1st
CCOM - Nov. 22nd
KCOM - Nov. 25th
DMU - Dec. 6th

Hi JP-

I was a MA resident until 9/02. Now I am living in IL; I went to HS in IL. My residency status seems to bolster both UNECOM and CCOM.

I think that I will handle interviews well - I have a lot of experience as a psych interviewer and I am fairly verbal.

Oh, my premed advisor/committee has a 98% acceptance rate, so that should help.

I think that I will get negged from OCOM MSUCOM MDNJCOM mostly due to state residency issues. MSUCOM often has less than 10 out of state students per class.

I wonder I should even complete secondaries for these places if I get them......

My top choices are UNECOM, CCOM and PCOM - they are also the places where I have the strongest contacts. Yet, PCOM and CCOM are the best of the non-state schools.......

I have worries about KCOM NYCOM AZCOM TUCOM.

What do you think?

Dancing Nancy:

You will get DMUCOM.

Conservatively I'd say 1 out two for KCOM and CCOM, only because of the last 6 in PS - I think some schools have a 7 cutoff. If neither have a 7 cutoff you will get both of them.

I have not idea about Wisconsin - has anything changed significantly with your app since last year?

345 Views - Any other guesses/players??????