Wanna talk about ED?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishtolive

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This for all the people happy with their scores who are thinking about going early to a school. I figure it's a good topic that is besides these MCAT horror stories which are pretty upsetting (if they only knew what they were doing to people!)
Anyway, now that I have my MCATs I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go early to Robert Wood Johnson in New Jersey and I'd like to talk about the risks/benefits/realities as you see it...or whatever else might come up...I'm just tired of the same old posts--no offense though!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are talking about Early Decision Programs, it is something that I have been laboring over. I know what school I want to go to, but am worried about not getting in and having my other schools not see my app until October. It hurts your chances in any school with rolling admissions. Also, I would like to be able work on secondaries during the summer and early in the semester, if possible. Unless I get some sort of divine revelation in the next couple of days, I am not going EDP.

I think you should use "EDP" instead of "ED." At first I thought you were talking about Erectile Dysfunction.

Members don't see this ad :)
good call dagny~ I thought this thread was about the "Emergency Department" although erectile dysfunction would have been an interesting thread!

newfocus out~

Great topic!

I've been going over whether to do EDP this entire week since I received my scores. I would love to go to my state school and I know I have a decent chance of getting in early, but what if I don't? then I don't get to send in my primary until Sept/Oct. when many people will already have their secondaries done! that is a scary thought. However, getting in early would mean cheaper application costs, the wonderfullness (fake word) of knowing that you were in early in the application cycle, etc...., but I'm still terrified of the thought of not getting in early at my state school and then being behind the eightball for the rest of the schools i want to apply to.

Another good thing about early decision is that (at least at my state school) if you don't get accepted early your application gets placed on the regular decision pile and you get another interview. Essentially two chances at one school!

I have no idea what i'm going to do.

later

wow, ED, huh...my bad folks. well, now that you mention it, i have been feeling, i dunnoh, less virile lately...just joking.

12R34Y...yeah, EDP is a pretty great thing if you get in, ya know, but I'm only about 91% sure I'll do it. I actually called admissions at my 1st choice and they said my numbers look good and i know a student that said she'd put in a good word for me once my app got sent out (dunno if that would help)...I would suggest calling admissions...it's a bit forward but they seemed to appreciate my concern and were really great about it at my #1...let me know what you do as i'm still trying to get enough confidence and weigh all the pros and cons.

I just read my latest email from the good people at AMCAS, and it states that applications that they receive during high traffic times (i.e. the next few days) will take longer to process than the usual 6-8 weeks. Since we are already three weeks behind when most classes were able to send in their applications, it is possible that even if you apply the first day , schools may not get your application until late August/early September anyway. Suddenly EDP is more attractive. I am going to email my contact at my first choice and get his opinion.

awesome point ewells..the deadline is august 1st for reciept or transmission? this amcas app really makes life hard, no? thanx for the input!

Hey newfocus and 12R34Y - I see a KC connection!

One thing on EDP - you can still apply to AACOM schools if you're edp amcas.

Anyone considering UHS vs KU - I'd love to hear any thoughts you may have - I've got very little info on UHS at present and my preference for.

I won't go into too much detail - doesn't fit the thread, but please hit me w/ a private message if you've got anything worthwhile.

thanks

fishtolive makes a good point. My MCAT scores came back higher than expected, and with my GPA I feel I have a shot at EDP at my state school. But what good is that if my app won't even reach the school by Aug 1st? Any feedback on the EDP deadline of Aug 1 and how AMCAS is dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just looked at the email that I received from AMCAS and it seems to me that August first is the deadline for sending in your application for EDP(maybe someone with more experience knows better). My contact at Mayo is going to call me Monday to discuss the situation, which is the first day they want someone named "W"ells to apply anyway. If I knew for sure that I was going to go EDP, I could transmit tommorrow, though.

Almost senior member,
ewells

ewells...please let me know if it's for submission or reciept (the deadline that is).

i am tempted to submit today but i think i'll wait...plus, if the aug 1st deadline is for submission, i really don't care. thanx!

Originally posted by fishtolive:
•ewells...please let me know if it's for submission or reciept (the deadline that is).

i am tempted to submit today but i think i'll wait...plus, if the aug 1st deadline is for submission, i really don't care. thanx!•

Ditto...

So what kind of numbers do you need to reasonably apply ED? Say the average numbers for school X are GPA 3.5, MCAT 30. Assuming one has reasonable other stuff, what would you say is competetive to apply ED?

lawrence81,

I think the confusion is in using the word "deadline" in the same sentence as "submission", since it's not really a deadline we're talking about with respect to transmission. The first date you are allowed to transmit your amcas ap is today, 06-21. The "deadline" for submission is August 1. That means after that date (aug 1), you can no longer apply EDP. (you've still got plenty of time to apply regular decision, though)

I have spoken recently to the dean of admissions at my state school. She informed me that all schools are aware of the issues being created by the amcas web "project". It was her opinion that there would more than likely be additional periods of time allowed to submit secondaries and so forth for both edp and regular decision due to the set backs. (Granted, there are still 6 weeks to get your ap in and that's more than enough time.) Anyway – it was also her opinion that any institution not willing to work with students under these circumstances may be an institution to reconsider as an option.

Best of luck – Just get it done and you won't have to worry about anything – except of course the decision between edp and regular decision. – isn't that what this string is about anyway???
;)

Jetson,

Thanks for the info. That definetly clears up some confusion I had on the whole EDP thing. On that note, is a GPA ~3.9 and a pretty high MCAT a decent start towards EDP at a person's state school? I guess I've always been under the impression that only the best of the best have a shot at EDP, anywhere. Any input?

i know for a fact from several first year medical students at KU that there are many people each year that get into KU with 27-28 on MCAT for EDP. Last year they had a 26 get in early.

who'd you talk to at KU about the AMCAS stuff?

later

lawrence81,

Here's my .02.

At least here in the midwest, there is a need for docs in rural settings. This is opinion, but I believe that state schools in this neck of the nation are aware that kids going to med school out of state don't generally come back to practice - these are pretty solid numbers. The kids who stay in state generally stay. When there is a need like we've got here, the state schools appear to want to keep as many in state as possible. To me, this means that if someone shows the interest in committing early to a state school, that state institution should snatch the student up if they think there is a chance that they may end up somewhere else.

Check out 12R34Y's comments - they say a lot. It certainly doesn't mean that every 28 mcat in the midwest is going to get into their state school edp, but before a school throws that ap into the regular decision pile, I believe they will weigh the possibility of that student going elsewhere.

Jetson & 12R34Y,
Thanks for the info. Jetson, what you're saying certainly makes sense to me. I think I might give this EDP thing a shot, that is if I can ever access AMCAS long enough to finally put the finishing touches on my app...
Later.

lawrence81 - good luck (and go wildcats!)
:p :p :p

I agree with the earlier posters about the relative lack of disadvantage of applying EDP this year.

As far as I can tell, there has never, in the history of AMCAS, been a better time to apply as an EDP candidate than this year.