wanna work for target , switching chains when u started workin for one right of sch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work for DR and i just got licensed, i wanna work for target i want to ask 2 qns

1) is switching chains a good idea a few months after licensure ?

2) what makes target rock, i.e. how is better than lets say Rite AID c'mon lets see some answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by PharmD2b
2) what makes target rock, i.e. how is better than lets say Rite AID c'mon lets see some answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Maybe there are Target pharmacists who can provide you with better answers. I can only give you my observations as a student who just completed a 6 week rotation at a Target in Los Angeles.

• Low to Medium Script Volume (compared to most chain retailers)...you actually have time to talk with patients
  • No Drive-Thrus
  • PDX-Although the pharmacists have told me it is not as "powerful" as many other systems, and it is antiquated, it's relatively easy to use
  • I honestly have never seen a better organized store...I saw one other Target pharmacy just as well organized as this...made the Rite Aid I was at look absolutely chaotic ;) We get our McKesson order every weekday morning...and we actually have time to put the stuff away.
  • I've yet to meet an unhappy Target pharmacist. It's a very supportive and "warm" environment.
  • People who come to Target pharmacy are often there to shop...they don't hang around for 15 minutes for their meds...as a result, they seem to be in a much better mood.
  • Other "Target Team Members" and Leaders have a great relationship with the pharmacy. When things get busy, they often come back and volunteer to help with the register. When the pharmacy is slow, the technician and the pharmacist often go out of the pharmacy to help with "go-backs" and shelf cleaning in the OTC sections...helps build and maintain that rapport with the other Target workers. Great environment.
  • HUGE pharmacy! Lots of square footage in there, with room for a decent kitchenette...I feel sorry for Rite Aid pharmacists having to spend an entire shift in such small spaces :)

not to diss Rite Aid or anything but I haven't talked to one tech, student, or pharmacist happy with anything at Rite Aid except for the pay

Members don't see this ad :)
Target runs the pharmacy as a loss leader. The management supports quite a few pharmacy-supported community initiatives, because they're concerned about the draw. My preceptor and I are trying to take the Vial of Life idea corporate. He earlier had success making a water safety program national with Target.

Plus, the clientele are degrees better than CRW and Wal-Mart. Regardless of script count, you feel better about what you do.

Originally posted by lord999
Target runs the pharmacy as a loss leader. The management supports quite a few pharmacy-supported community initiatives, because they're concerned about the draw. My preceptor and I are trying to take the Vial of Life idea corporate. He earlier had success making a water safety program national with Target.

Plus, the clientele are degrees better than CRW and Wal-Mart. Regardless of script count, you feel better about what you do.

Hey lord999, what's "Vial of Life"?

You're right about the clientele, they tend to be of a much younger, somewhat "hipper" demographic. A lot of families out for their shopping...less of the "grumpy ol' folks" you see at the corner drug shop ;) You actually feel good about helping these folks...
We did get some older folks (to a lesser extent), but they seemed to be nicer.

They also seem to have a lot more "community service" stuff, like having pharmacists volunteer to speak at schools about drug safety, etc.

Vial of Life:

1. Take a form with basic health information (Name, Health Conditions, Meds, etc.)

2. Stick it in a Rx. vial.

3. Put vial in refrigerator shelf.

4. Put BIG red "Vial of Life" sticker on your entrances.

5. The EMT's and Firefighters are trained to look at a door when responding to a medical emergency. That way, they know whether to draw the Epi, Nitroprusside, or the Glucostat that much sooner. It improves response times by 1 to 2 mins, which may be enough time to save one pt.

6. Cost: $0.08 per vial. It's cheap, doable, and something I hope Target sponsors at a national level.

BTW, I guess you've dressed up as "Katie the Kangaroo" too!

Don't forget the support hours! Target gives their pharmacists fifty hours of technician help when they open their doors, regardless of script volume. Beyond the initial opening, they're extremely responsive to 'cries for help' when tech hours are involved.

PLUS... what other chain gives their part-time pharmacist FULL benefits??

Don't worry about switching chains. If you get an opportunity with Target, TAKE IT. I worked for CVS for about 6 years before I made the switch. I've never once regretted my decision.