Want Emergency Medicine Residency, what step score? IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you guys think a 220 is good enough for an IMG to get an ER residency!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope.

Even US MDs and DOs need around a 230+ nowadays plus stellar SLOEs. EM is certainly very competitive (only idiots think it is a true lifestyle specialty).

You should probably be shooting for FM, Peds, and IM community programs with that score being an IMG.

good luck

Reactions: 2 users
ok so what score is good enough for an IMG for EM? are you a DO? I hear a lot of DOs go into EM why is that? Do MDs not just want to do EM?? seems like a lifestyle better than most other specialties, but I get that not everyone likes shift work..

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so what score is good enough for an IMG for EM? are you a DO? I hear a lot of DOs go into EM why is that? Do MDs not just want to do EM?? seems like a lifestyle better than most other specialties, but I get that not everyone likes shift work..
You might have a shot at some places. I wouldn't say no completely. Just talk to your mentors and ask EM department for advise. What did your EM rotation feel like? Did you get honors?

You might have a shot at some places. I wouldn't say no completely. Just talk to your mentors and ask EM department for advise. What did your EM rotation feel like? Did you get honors?

Thanks for that! gives me hope. I didn't take my boards yet, but i am scoring high 220s, I start rotations in a few months, will try to do my best to honor EM! what score would i have a realistic shot with?

Thanks for that! gives me hope. I didn't take my boards yet, but i am scoring high 220s, I start rotations in a few months, will try to do my best to honor EM! what score would i have a realistic shot with?
I mean I think a 220 gives you a realistic shot. You obviously want to aim to be average (which is around 230 for EM I think) to have a really solid chance but I think if you apply broadly to 90+ places and go on all the interviews you get, you'll land somewhere. You just need to do well in clinicals and do better on step 2. But if you didn't even take step 1 yet, just go study. You might get a 240 who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean I think a 220 gives you a realistic shot. You obviously want to aim to be average (which is around 230 for EM I think) to have a really solid chance but I think if you apply broadly to 90+ places and go on all the interviews you get, you'll land somewhere. You just need to do well in clinicals and do better on step 2. But if you didn't even take step 1 yet, just go study. You might get a 240 who knows.
thanks for the advice very motivational! you do know something after all jon snow!

Reactions: 1 users

I'd probably say something above 230+ is good for EM and if you have the good SLOEs to match.

Apparently, step 2 improvement is something else that is very important to Programs directors.

DOs go into it because they have the scores and experiences to do so... just like MDs do.

We ain't getting leftovers like IMGs bruh bruh (no offense... but if the shoe fits... well... wear that bitch then).

As for lifestyle... depends who you ask.

Gangbangers, drug seekers, patient who haven't seen their PCPs or are off their antipsychotics... mixed with the occassional trauma here and there... does that seem like the type of environment you wanna be in from 7:00 PM - 7:00 AM...?

I don't mind it persay but I also wanna be alive when I'm 50 and in a outpatient setting just moving the meat.

Do you boo-boo.

Thanks for the advice, but I have no idea why you need to be so condescending. Let me break down reality for you my friend:

I have no idea why your a medical student acting hard, who are you trying to impress? like really bro, get that thug life mentality out of your head, your going to be a doctor, how about you act like it?

You honestly think your better than IMGs because you a DO? lmao bro, your behind would fail out at the top Caribbean schools, they weed out all the students who can't hack it before step, they accept with lower standards but they kick your butt out before step.

Be a little bit more professional, and less arrogant, who the hell wants to work along side person with an attitude like that?, maybe you are professional in real life but like to act hard here?

Your %110 percent delusional if you think residency directors are treating you the same way as they treat US MDs

I may be an IMG but i'll be damned if I let you talk to me like that.

You can try to comfort your self with that DO title but only time will tell how successful of a physician you will be in life, you don't seem to be to be that successful if your projecting your insecurities of being a DO on others.

We are going to be doctors to hopefully, be more respectful to us, maybe US IMGs didn't get their **** together till they got older, or what ever damn reason, but that does not give you the right to talk to people like that bruh. Cause you will get put in your place, whether your a US MD or DO, or what ever title you want to use to put down others. Are you kidding me we are busting are asses too and your talking down to us like we never studied medicine and just got a degree? just chill.

Since you talk big game and think your better, lets see what your step score is going to be, and I'll beat that score, can't wait to see what you get, lmao, you need not reply to this post anymore, but I will wait till you get your score, and I'll post a screen shot of mine, just to show you up.

p.s. seriously though stop acting hard young buck, it doesn't fit your profession or the people in it, wanna act hard ....go some where else, just not medicine. I use to work with law enforcement before I changed career paths (did you figure out why I really want to do emergency medicine yet?) and man they way you talk is just like the punks that would would act hard in the streets and turn into little cry babies when they get locked up, just chill with your attitude. I've seen hardened mother F**rs in my time, there is not too many of them and you don't fit the bill, so stop acting like it!

Hi there. I personally think 220 is too low for IMG (it is what it is :( ), but I definitely think it's not impossible. I think the goal for IMGs should be 235+, but that's my opinion. You may get a higher score on the real thing so I wouldn't worry to much about it right now.

But reading your reply, I think it's ironic that you are passionate about EM. While I understand it may be frustrating to deal with people like this online, I hope you realize that you will encounter very frustrating individuals in the ER, and EM docs have to show professionalism regardless of the situation; and yes, including online.

I want to encourage you to keep working hard and I hope you achieve the score you want. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice, but I have no idea why you need to be so condescending. Let me break down reality for you my friend:

I have no idea why your a medical student acting hard, who are you trying to impress? like really bro, get that thug life mentality out of your head, your going to be a doctor, how about you act like it?

You honestly think your better than IMGs because you a DO? lmao bro, your behind would fail out at the top Caribbean schools, they weed out all the students who can't hack it before step, they accept with lower standards but they kick your butt out before step.

Be a little bit more professional, and less arrogant, who the hell wants to work along side person with an attitude like that?, maybe you are professional in real life but like to act hard here?

Your %110 percent delusional if you think residency directors are treating you the same way as they treat US MDs

I may be an IMG but i'll be damned if I let you talk to me like that.

You can try to comfort your self with that DO title but only time will tell how successful of a physician you will be in life, you don't seem to be to be that successful if your projecting your insecurities of being a DO on others.

We are going to be doctors to hopefully, be more respectful to us, maybe US IMGs didn't get their **** together till they got older, or what ever damn reason, but that does not give you the right to talk to people like that bruh. Cause you will get put in your place, whether your a US MD or DO, or what ever title you want to use to put down others. Are you kidding me we are busting are asses too and your talking down to us like we never studied medicine and just got a degree? just chill.

Since you talk big game and think your better, lets see what your step score is going to be, and I'll beat that score, can't wait to see what you get, lmao, you need not reply to this post anymore, but I will wait till you get your score, and I'll post a screen shot of mine, just to show you up.

p.s. seriously though stop acting hard young buck, it doesn't fit your profession or the people in it, wanna act hard ....go some where else, just not medicine. I use to work with law enforcement before I changed career paths (did you figure out why I really want to do emergency medicine yet?) and man they way you talk is just like the punks that would would act hard in the streets and turn into little cry babies when they get locked up, just chill with your attitude. I've seen hardened mother F**rs in my time, there is not too many of them and you don't fit the bill, so stop acting like it!

I didn't read all this, but read the bold. You can apply that same statement to yourself as an IMG. Also, as someone going into EM, EM is one of the least IMG friendly specialties in medicine.

Hi there. I personally think 220 is too low for IMG (it is what it is :( ), but I definitely think it's not impossible. I think the goal for IMGs should be 235+, but that's my opinion. You may get a higher score on the real thing so I wouldn't worry to much about it right now.

But reading your reply, I think it's ironic that you are passionate about EM. While I understand it may be frustrating to deal with people like this online, I hope you realize that you will encounter very frustrating individuals in the ER, and EM docs have to show professionalism regardless of the situation; and yes, including online.

I want to encourage you to keep working hard and I hope you achieve the score you want. Best of luck!

Your right I agree, thank you.

I didn't read all this, but read the bold. You can apply that same statement to yourself as an IMG. Also, as someone going into EM, EM is one of the least IMG friendly specialties in medicine.
I am applying the same statement to my self, that is why I started the thread, to see what kind of a score an IMG needs for EM, but you should probably read the whole thing, its not meant to offend, but have all future doctors respect each other.

Were you a LEO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope.

Even US MDs and DOs need around a 230+ nowadays plus stellar SLOEs. EM is certainly very competitive (only idiots think it is a true lifestyle specialty).

You should probably be shooting for FM, Peds, and IM community programs with that score being an IMG.

good luck
EM is horrible lifestyle wise - lol what are you talking about? Everyone knows EM is a crappiest specialty lifestyle wise. No one wants to deal with that crap. Most of people who go there go because they like high adrenaline stress situations and/or like money it offers. For lifestyle you want IM, PMnR and specialties like endo, etc.

And OP with 220 you can get into EM - but you will need to apply broadly. People even with 210 get into EM if they are not picky to location.

EM is horrible lifestyle wise - lol what are you talking about? Everyone knows EM is a crappiest specialty lifestyle wise. No one wants to deal with that crap. Most of people who go there go because they like high adrenaline stress situations and/or like money it offers. For lifestyle you want IM, PMnR and specialties like endo, etc.

And OP with 220 you can get into EM - but you will need to apply broadly. People even with 210 get into EM if they are not picky to location.

Read my response again... Slowly.

I literally said only IDIOTS think it is a lifestyle specialty.

What are you smoking because I want some of that stuff homie.

You most certainly do not need a 230 to have a realistic chance at EM as a DO. Every DO school sends like 10-20 people to EM every year. I promise you their average step is nowhere near 230.

As an IMG... maybe? I don’t know IMG dynamics.

Word ‘round school and SDN says that step score is a *relatively* unimportant factor for most EM programs - the really important thing is the SLOE and INTERVIEW/personality. It seems to me that EM is kind of like psych where personality and fit are the most important things.

Terrible scores and failures are gonna be a big problem, but at least for a DO, a 215-220, a chill personality, and a deep love for all things triage make matching a good bet.

Lets add some data to this thread
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf

Its not perfect(theres no way to know who in that data is a reapplicant, if you look at the graphs there are a decent amount of people who applied with step 1 scores between 180-190, which means they probably graduated a while ago or who has multiple attempts) but its probably the best place to start. 12 US-IMGs matched and 10 did not with step 1 scores between 220-230.

I'd probably say something above 230+ is good for EM and if you have the good SLOEs to match.

Apparently, step 2 improvement is something else that is very important to Programs directors.

DOs go into it because they have the scores and experiences to do so... just like MDs do.

We ain't getting leftovers like IMGs bruh bruh (no offense... but if the shoe fits... well... wear that bitch then).

As for lifestyle... depends who you ask.

Gangbangers, drug seekers, patient who haven't seen their PCPs or are off their antipsychotics... mixed with the occassional trauma here and there... does that seem like the type of environment you wanna be in from 7:00 PM - 7:00 AM...?

I don't mind it persay but I also wanna be alive when I'm 50 and in a outpatient setting just moving the meat.

Do you boo-boo.

Hey! just got my score back was hoping for 220s.....232...hope Step went well for you ;)

Hey! just got my score back was hoping for 220s.....232...hope Step went well for you ;)

Nice dude.

Now get some SLOEs under your belt and pray your school didn't make you take any time off or does in the future for STEP 2.

A lot of IMGs are screwed over by their own schools because their schools makes them start 3rd year at random times and are off-cycle.

Make sure you apply to 100+ programs too.

Good luck man.

I don't know a whole lot about the topic but it seems to me that EM is fairly closed off to IMGs and you probably won’t get it based on application or score alone (even with a high score), you will likely need a connection. There just aren’t any spots left for IMGs so programs aren’t going to dig into the IMG application pile to see if there are some stellar applicants.The one and only person from my school (I’m also an IMG) I know of who got EM knew people at the program.

I don't know a whole lot about the topic but it seems to me that EM is fairly closed off to IMGs and you probably won’t get it based on application or score alone (even with a high score), you will likely need a connection. There just aren’t any spots left for IMGs so programs aren’t going to dig into the IMG application pile to see if there are some stellar applicants.The one and only person from my school (I’m also an IMG) I know of who got EM knew people at the program.
Yeah I totally agree, that its harder for IMGs to match into EM than most other specialties, but what are your thoughts on a US-IMG applying to a program with a good relationship with a medical school, for example my medical school every year, has a certain number of 4th year students that match into the same set of EM programs every year, my only fear was not getting a score high enough for them. I don't think I would get an EM residency via a blind match, meaning I never rotated there before, or they simply don't know who I am, even if I had a higher score.

Yeah I totally agree, that its harder for IMGs to match into EM than most other specialties, but what are your thoughts on a US-IMG applying to a program with a good relationship with a medical school, for example my medical school every year, has a certain number of 4th year students that match into the same set of EM programs every year, my only fear was not getting a score high enough for them. I don't think I would get an EM residency via a blind match, meaning I never rotated there before, or they simply don't know who I am, even if I had a higher score.

I think if your school has a relationship with the program and people from your school have matched there it’s a really good sign. That’s a rare connection and most IMGs don’t have that so I think thats why the IMG EM rate is low. My impression of EM is an IMG with an average score and connection has a better chance than an IMG with a 260 just applying broadly when it comes to EM. EM is just too competitive for programs to go digging into the IMG pool looking for good candidates imo