Want f'ship in Heme-Onc - qualification.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betrhalf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am applying to Heme-Onc programs this year. I am an IMG, non-traditional and have MPH and PhD degrees from the US. I have high 90s in my USMLEs and I hope to have really good LORs. My biggest drawback, I feel, is that I am doing my residency in a community program (a good one but nonetheless...). I have done a month long Heme-Onc rotation at a good University but am not sure how much a LOR from that short rotation will count. I have been offered a Chief Residency in my program and I am debating its pros and cons.
To begin with, I am not getting any younger (nearly 40 now). I do have research experience - some papers and abstracts - and two degrees with the PhD being in Molecular biology. How much will this help my application?

For those who know anything about the visa scenario: I require a Visa- am currently on H1B and in case I take the Chief offer, I will invariably have to do my fellowship on J1 (although it is easier to get a fellowship on J1 - the waiver process is grueling)

So, any inputs if I should accept the offer? Will being the Chief significantly improve my chances? I am a little reluctant - especially because of the Visa issues.
Any advice/ inputs/ 2 cents will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Betrhalf

Members don't see this ad.

When you say the workload is incredible, how does that compare to Cards and GI. Can someone realistically attempt to maintain a normal family life in the field?

Also, is there any way to do research in private practice?

thanks for any help.

to the OP:
where do you want to match and what kind of career do you want?
most 'top' programs are research oriented - some more basic research and others more clinically research. your advanced degrees will help tremendously. doing a chief year might help, but depends on the program.

if you want to go into private practice - then you should match for location, and doing a chief year wont really add much.

chief year wont hurt, but depending on the program you apply to, it may not help, and it may not be necessary given that you are probably ready to move on at this point. it will definietly help, however, if you want to stay at your current program for your fellowship. that will go a long way in the future.

hope that helps

Your credentials are quite impressive... I do not think chief residency will help you much at all given you have great basic science research background, unless chief residency is from a top tier IM program... if you have solid letters (especially if one from a renowned oncologist) you should be in the running for top tier programs in the country... in my experience, seeing colleagues from my program(reputable university affiliated program in NY) last several yrs (IMGs with high 90s USMLE, PhD) all matched into Hopkins, Fred Hutch (but of course none of them had visa issues so im not sure if this affects things)... of course you will have to impress during your interview visits... hope this helps!

Hi all,

I am applying to Heme-Onc programs this year. I am an IMG, non-traditional and have MPH and PhD degrees from the US. I have high 90s in my USMLEs and I hope to have really good LORs. My biggest drawback, I feel, is that I am doing my residency in a community program (a good one but nonetheless...). I have done a month long Heme-Onc rotation at a good University but am not sure how much a LOR from that short rotation will count. I have been offered a Chief Residency in my program and I am debating its pros and cons.
To begin with, I am not getting any younger (nearly 40 now). I do have research experience - some papers and abstracts - and two degrees with the PhD being in Molecular biology. How much will this help my application?

For those who know anything about the visa scenario: I require a Visa- am currently on H1B and in case I take the Chief offer, I will invariably have to do my fellowship on J1 (although it is easier to get a fellowship on J1 - the waiver process is grueling)

So, any inputs if I should accept the offer? Will being the Chief significantly improve my chances? I am a little reluctant - especially because of the Visa issues.
Any advice/ inputs/ 2 cents will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Betrhalf