Want it so bad you can taste it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmacstew

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh my,
You ever want something so bad you can almost taste it, but in the back of your mind reality wants to tell you that you may not get it. I am in that situation.
I want to go to medical school so bad, but I feel like there are so many things stopping me or keeping me from going. I have 2 kids, and my husband is in the military. There is no guarentee that I will get into a school that is near a military base so I may end up being away from my kids. I would hate that. Also he wants to go to medical school also. He really wants to go to USUHS. And I know I can't get into USUHS, because I was medically discharged from the military and my discharge is not waiverable.
Second I was really really stupid my freshmen year in college. I didn't study and basically failed my whole first year, then my second year, my mother died and I had a baby! Now I am on a much better trend. I have had a recent cum gpa of at least 3.5, however with those bad years, my actual cum is not that high, and if I manage to get a 4.0 the rest of my career in college, I may be able to get it to a 3.2
I will do great on the MCAT's I know it. I guess I need a pep talk. I have always wanted to be a Dr. I have always been a firm believer in that you can do anything you put your mind to, and I will teach my children that. However, it is easier said then done. You get discouraged and it is easy to loose focus. I am the first one in my family to even go to college, and I want to go all the way. I love people and want to help anyone and everyone that I can.
What do I do? Anyone out there been in my situation and gotten accepted into a medical school? Help me!!!
I am sure there are lots of these posted, but I am so serious, that sometimes the thought of me not being able to do what I have wanted my whole life, makes me cry.
Thank you everyone!!
Crystal

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by lilmacstew
Oh my,
You ever want something so bad you can almost taste it

Suprisingly, it tastes like chicken. :D

When all else fails, laugh. Hang in there, these things have a way of working themselves out.

tastes like chicken? that was not funny at all

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Ramoray

You are not funny. Woots, on the other hand, is consistently hilarious. "Tastes like Chicken" :laugh:

If by hilarious, you mean someone who used an old bad joke, then yeah, that was stupid.

Hi,

I think you will find plenty of people in your position on www.mommd.com
You definitely are not alone!
Good luck!:)

Man you people just never cease to amaze me. Woots is only trying to get the original poster to crack a smile. Instead of attacking Woots, why don't you guys focus on the OP. Did you fail to read the second half of the post? Essentially, that's the main thing you have to remember. Things will work out for the best. Try to keep a sense of humor about things people. You'll see how laughter and smiles actually helps when times are rough.

Lilmacstew...keep your head up. Life has a funny way of working itself out and giving us what we need.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
You are not funny. Woots, on the other hand, is consistently hilarious. "Tastes like Chicken" :laugh:

i concur. :D

to the OP - woots has a good point... focus on what is good in your life, rather than what distresses you. i am a fount of anxiety, and much more often than i would like to, i freak out. i have to - absolutely HAVE to - have people remind me to focus on the good. you expend a lot of energy focusing on what makes you discontent... it's like you have this energy pipe with a lot of different pipes coming off it. shunt the energy going towards your anxiety into something positive and trust in yourself to make your dreams happen. you have it in you to do what it takes to get yourself there. :)

lilmacstew-- hang in there, chica!! okay. you've got some challenges. but you can overcome them. make sure you have a supportive group to help you, be it your husband, your friends, your famile, or a combination...surround yourself with people who believe in you, and believe in yourself!!! don't let your fear prevent you from achieving your dream!!

oh, and keep us posted!! :clap:

From one Crystal to another :)
Good luck sweetie!! You are so admirable. I think it's so amazing to see people who are willing to overcome such adversity and what some would say daunting obstacles to achieve their dream. Think how much sweeter it will be for you, when you do get into medical school, having overcome all you have to get there. So many people get discouraged and lose focus and give up on their dreams which in our case are such lofty ones. It shows so much character of spirit to go after something you want so badly with courage. I'll pray for you. :)

Thank you everyone for your support. I am feeling lots better. Just had one of those days you know. You loose focus and all of a sudden you get slammed. People telling me that it won't be possible. However I have an adoring husband who has told me that he knows where my heart is, and that he will do everything to make my dream come true. He said that he has been considering doing the Physician assistant program through the army, and that he spoke with his mother and she is retiring next year and will come help take care of the kids. I just will miss my kids tremendously. However, he will get a military base as close to wherever I am as possible. But in the end it will be the most rewarding experience and will be worth every bit of anguish and discomfort that it entails. I also know that my kids will understand what I am doing. That is comforting also.
Take care everyone!!!

Hi Crystal,

My advice to you is keep up with your coursework and do well on the MCAT. Your background and life experiences actually set you apart from most of the typical pre-meds, and these qualities will actually help you in the long run! Make sure that you convey the same desire to do medicine as you did on the post. I'm very touched by your ambition. Keep up the good work and your future patients will thank you for hanging in there.

Nolan

lilmacstew,

To answer your question...yes.

I too have 2 children, a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old and I am still married. My wife is a stay-at-home-mom/disgruntled law student so I am the sole income. With this noted...I feel your pain.

I am still finishing my BS in Information Technology (a few more months...yah!) Then I am going to start the long road that is med school application preparation. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thewzdoc

a.k.a Joey bag-o-doughnuts.

Crystal,

When I read your post, I thought wow. You are an inspiration. Although I have not had the struggles you are going through, I can empathize with you on the wanting med school "so bad you can almost taste it." Those are my thoughts exactly. I'm sure that many of us who still do not have a firm acceptance to stand on at this point just feel so desperate like we are hanging in the breeze with one finger's hold on a loose rock on the side of a massive cliff. This is the desired fruit of our labors of the past however many years. Every waking moment that I am not able to occupy myself with something else I think about getting into med school at the school I am still waiting on that is my first choice. It started about 3 wks ago, and it is driving me insane (figuratively). So, I just keep reminding myself that if it is meant to be, it is meant to be. When you've done as much as you possibly can, all you can do is leave it up to the adcoms until you can try again. Have faith... there are good times to come. There always has been and there always will be as long as you keep things in perspective.

So, go ahead and have a good cry, but only one. You know what they say... laughing keeps you young and creative (there was actually a study done on the creative aspect). Besides, it's good for circulation and metabolism.

I genuinely wish the best of luck to you! Please keep us updated.

-nat :)

Originally posted by lilmacstew
Oh my,
You ever want something so bad you can almost taste it, but in the back of your mind reality wants to tell you that you may not get it.

Originally posted by Ramoray

Back from the MCAT board to give admissions ANOTHER good ol' college try? Go back to whereever you've been hiding.

ps. don't mess with the Donna