want PM&R but low step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After leaving med school due to dissatisfaction in way medicine is practiced, I returned because of learning about PM&R. It is a perfect match to my philosophy and how I want to practice medicine.

I'm in 3rd year now and just found out my step 1 score: 197/82. Now I'm wondering if this is too low for PM&R.
Any word of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not hopeless. Is that an 80? Alot of programs have a min score of 80. Rock Step 2 and you will be fine.

It's not hopeless. Is that an 80? Alot of programs have a min score of 80. Rock Step 2 and you will be fine.

I think it's an 81. For PM&R, if the rest of your app is solid, you should have no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top Tier program - very little chance.

Middle tier - probably a chance with good LORs and a good step 2

Lower tier - you are breathing and passed step 1, you're in somewhere

I think it's an 81. For PM&R, if the rest of your app is solid, you should have no problem.

Would refer to PMR4MSK's post above; the upper echelon programs are a bit more competitive than that.

Top Tier program - very little chance.

Middle tier - probably a chance with good LORs and a good step 2

Lower tier - you are breathing and passed step 1, you're in somewhere

What would you consider middle tier and lower tier programs? On this board, the top tiers are always talked about but little info is available on the other programs even through searching the forum.

Thanks!

what if I dont have pmr letters is it worth applying?

sorry.. i post the wrong website... hehe sorry

what if I dont have pmr letters is it worth applying?

Sorry, probably not. It's such a small field that letters of rec may be more important than other, larger fields. A sparkling letter of rec from a well-regarded graduate may be more important than a high board score.

Sorry, probably not. It's such a small field that letters of rec may be more important than other, larger fields. A sparkling letter of rec from a well-regarded graduate may be more important than a high board score.
Along these same lines, should I wait until I have a PM&R letter before applying to programs? I have heard that some programs will invite for interviews before the entire application package (step II scores, Dean's letter, etc.) is submitted. I guess I always thought that it was wiser to apply early and submit things on a "rolling basis" than to wait until everything is perfect before submitting.

I would consider myself a strong applicant with good board scores, grades, etc, but I haven't yet received a letter from a Physiatrist. It should be coming in the next few weeks (I hope!). Should I wait until I have at least one PM&R letter before submitting any part of my app?

Along these same lines, should I wait until I have a PM&R letter before applying to programs? I have heard that some programs will invite for interviews before the entire application package (step II scores, Dean's letter, etc.) is submitted. I guess I always thought that it was wiser to apply early and submit things on a "rolling basis" than to wait until everything is perfect before submitting.

I would consider myself a strong applicant with good board scores, grades, etc, but I haven't yet received a letter from a Physiatrist. It should be coming in the next few weeks (I hope!). Should I wait until I have at least one PM&R letter before submitting any part of my app?

The PM&R letter definitely strengthens your application. Understanding that while some people will be submitting their applications 9/1 at 12:01am, there really is no harm in waiting 1-2 weeks for the letter before submitting. Programs will not be rushing on 9/1 to review applications and granting interviews right away. Some of the more academic programs will even wait until the Dean’s letter is submitted, which won’t be until October – November 1 by the latest. Get over the rolling admissions mentality.

If you’re feeling extra neurotic, you can always submit your application early and update/reassign your LORs later. But if a program downloads your file early, they may never see your PM&R letter. For good programs, no rehab letter could be a deal breaker.

If one is coming, submit it. A lot of programs continuously update, and it never hurts to give a friendly call to the program coordinator at that hasn't refreshed your app. after the PM&R letter comes in.

Be nice to your program coordinators! :)

Thank you both for your insight! It sounds like as long as I get my completed (w/ PM&R letter) app submitted sometime in September that I'll be alright.

P.S. - Are there actually people out there that submit at 12:01 AM on Sept 1st?

What would you consider middle tier and lower tier programs? On this board, the top tiers are always talked about but little info is available on the other programs even through searching the forum.

Thanks!

I am looking for an answer to this same question.
Have you found anything out yet?

do a search, the most talked about programs on here are most likely the top tier programs...the others i would slot by if they are university based/affiliated then middle tier...the smaller community based ones would be lower tier. this is just what i'm surmising from reading this board over the past year. of course their are exceptions and every program has its strength and weaknesses. i think the right fit for you is more important than where the program is ranked or tiered.