Want some advice about other specialties view on psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need to address this issue and I'd like responses that are sincere and thoughtful please - no bashing on this thread, especially non-psychs.

So, what I want to know is what we as psychiatrists can do to enhance our reputation among our colleagues. What I mean is, I'm tired of hearing "Oh I couldn't handle psych, you people spend all this time saying oh whats the diagnosis this and whats the diagnosis that and in reality WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO USE THE SAME 3 DRUGS FOR IT ANYWAY"

This is what I've recently run into and to be honest, I felt put down and looked down on. I feel like people look at me and say "Oh shes doing psych because of bad grades or lifestyle or she can't do medicine" When I tell people I really love psych, they either a. don't believe me (and say something like but your so good at x,y,z, WHY PSYCH?) or I get b. psych isn't even medicine, along with the "you use the same 3 drugs" comment.

I worked really hard to get here, and I know I could have done a lot of other specialties but this is what I chose for multiple reasons - why is it so hard for my colleagues to see that?

I'm offended by these comments, and I'd like any advice on how to handle such comments :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Poety said:
So, what I want to know is what we as psychiatrists can do to enhance our reputation among our colleagues.

do what any self-respecting doctor would do: work hard, take good care of your patients, and grow a thick skin. unfortunately, you'll never please let alone convert everyone no matter how hard you try. there'll always be those who despise psych (many who've probably had bad personal experiences with it). the way i see it, each specialty has a certain personality type it attracts. it takes all kinds of people to make the world. no sense in bashing one field of medicine or health care over another. we're all needed on this planet or else the fields wouldn't have been created, ya know? if they can't see that, it's totally their problem. chances are, they couldn't do psych even if they wanted to due to their narrow-mindedness.

MDgonnabe said:
do what any self-respecting doctor would do: work hard, take good care of your patients, and grow a thick skin. unfortunately, you'll never please let alone convert everyone no matter how hard you try. there'll always be those who despise psych (many who've probably had bad personal experiences with it). the way i see it, each specialty has a certain personality type it attracts. it takes all kinds of people to make the world. no sense in bashing one field of medicine or health care over another. we're all needed on this planet or else the fields wouldn't have been created, ya know? if they can't see that, it's totally their problem. chances are, they couldn't do psych even if they wanted to due to their narrow-mindedness.

great points mdgonnabe, thanks for the encouragement - wish I wasn't surrounded by such narrowminded people sometimes :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:
WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO USE THE SAME 3 DRUGS FOR IT ANYWAY"

Psychiatry has more drugs than other specialty, except maybe ID. "Same 3 drugs?" WTF? I wish it was that easy.

This is what I've recently run into and to be honest, I felt put down and looked down on. I feel like people look at me and say "Oh shes doing psych because of bad grades or lifestyle or she can't do medicine" When I tell people I really love psych, they either a. don't believe me (and say something like but your so good at x,y,z, WHY PSYCH?) or I get b. psych isn't even medicine, along with the "you use the same 3 drugs" comment.
Honestly, I've never had anyone tell me this. They might ask why I'm not in medicine...but when I point out the better lifestyle, more cerebral profession, higher salary, and lower malpractice...they understand pretty quick. I tell them they can keep their CHF, diabetes, cellulities, and HTN. :sleep:

I worked really hard to get here, and I know I could have done a lot of other specialties but this is what I chose for multiple reasons - why is it so hard for my colleagues to see that?

Show people that you're smart...help with thier patients when you're on C/L. They'll be knocking your proverbial door down for advice...even asking you how to handle neurological emergencies at times.

Poety said:
Ok, I need to address this issue and I'd like responses that are sincere and thoughtful please - no bashing on this thread, especially non-psychs.

So, what I want to know is what we as psychiatrists can do to enhance our reputation among our colleagues. What I mean is, I'm tired of hearing "Oh I couldn't handle psych, you people spend all this time saying oh whats the diagnosis this and whats the diagnosis that and in reality WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO USE THE SAME 3 DRUGS FOR IT ANYWAY"

I'm offended by these comments, and I'd like any advice on how to handle such comments :( :(

Just be glad that these people are going into specialties other than psych! ;)

Anasazi23 said:
Show people that you're smart...help with thier patients when you're on C/L. They'll be knocking your proverbial door down for advice...even asking you how to handle neurological emergencies at times.

Exactly. They LOVE psych when they have "one of ours" that they want off their service!!

OldPsychDoc said:
Exactly. They LOVE psych when they have "one of ours" that they want off their service!!

Oh yes, or when I'm doing my rotations, they always call me in - shes going into psych, have her tell us what to do with them ;)

I have been doing just what you said Sazi, I've been super efficient in doing my rotation AND addressing a lot of the psych issues (I do love OB, would consider it if not for lifestyle and drain on your body)

What I like is that SW enjoys having me around, and today, I think a few attendings noticed that psych is very important since I caught TWO not one TWO severely depressed that HAD SI, YES SI - so, perhaps throwing in a bit of "c & L" while I'm on rotations will help :)

Thanks for the support everyone, THIS IS WHY I LOVE PSYCH! :) :D