Want to become a medical doctor!! Plz help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gemin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I got admitted to master of biology in Uppsala University in Sweden. My programe is actually in ecology, so, i'll have to switch. But to what? I want to become a medical doctor. How do I do that in sweden? Is there such a thing as you go a programe and when you are done, you become a medical doctor?

I live in canada right now. I'm so confused for Sweden's education.

Please help me.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Master of Biology maybe has some common ground with medicine, but doesn't really help you becoming a medical doctor. You need to apply to medical school, there is a medical faculty at the Uppsala University too. To be able to apply there, you need to be fluent in swedish though. The competition is tough and you can't just switch programs from biology, you really have to have the best grades in high school to get in. The MD-program is 6 years and doesn't require a bachelor's degree.

thank you so much. what about other school? is it the same situation? also, what do you suggest me to do? because i still want to be a medical doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, tell us a bit of yourself and maybe we can help. What languages do you know, where did you go to high school?

All medical schools in Europe that are free or cheap require that you know the language, and usually are very competetive.

There are many medical schools in Eastern Europe that charge a higher tuition but offer education in english, these programs are intended for foreigners, and after finishing you will be a certified MD in the whole EU. So if you are willing to move for 6 years, and don't have the grades or know enough languages, Romania, Czech Republic, Poland etc. are alternatives.

Unfortunately, most Swedish/Norwegian/Danish schools are uber-competitive to get into so you'll definitely need to have an excellent command of the respective language. I think Swedish requires you to sit TISUS (a language exam) if you plan to study medicine there.

Other universities like Lund, Goteborg, Karolinska (very reputed), Linkoping are equally competitive.

I'm an American studying medicine in Sweden.

As others have posted, to get accepted to a medical program in Sweden you have to be fluent in Swedish. You have to have a high school diploma (it's not a graduate program here) and grades in advanced physics, chemistry, biology, and a math course that seemed to me roughly equivalent to basic calculus. You do have to either pass the TISUS or have a grade in Svenska B to prove Swedish fluency. You also have to (in most cases) take a test called Högskoleprovet that is kind of a general scholastic aptitude test (includes reading comprehension, math, vocabulary, etc.)

There are several different selection groups for admission, and all are pretty competitive in all the schools offering the program. Some spots are awarded solely on Högskoleprovet scores (among those meeting the educational preprequisites). Others are awarded on the basis of grade averages, but there is usually an oversupply of people with perfect grades so these places are usually awarded by ranking the applicants with perfect grades by their Högskoleprovet scores. A few universities use lotteries among those with equal grades or interview-based selection but I think that they call people in for interviews by selecting those with a certain cut-off Högskoleprovet score. But I'm not too familiar with interview-based admission as I did not apply to any of the schools that used interviews.

My understanding is that as of this upcoming term, the rules have been changed also in a way that might make it harder for foreign students to be admitted. Students with foreign grades are now going to constitute a separate selection group and I believe the number of seats they will compete for is going to be the same as the percentage of applicants that are foreign students to begin with, so there might only be one or two spots in each class awarded to foreign students. Sweden has also decided to start charging tuition fees to foreign students starting next year (fall 2011, I think) so that is worth considering as well.

Finally you have to be able to qualify for some sort of residence permit but I don't know the rules on student visas as I live here due to having a Swedish husband. You may already be up to speed on that if you were admitted to a master's program...

Anyway, I've only studied one term thus far but so far nearly all the course literature is English, although the lectures are of course in Swedish. A good command of Swedish is an absolute must. I'm good enough with the language to get by and did pass the TISUS, and I've lived here nearly 3 years now, but in some ways I'm struggling with the language as some of the exams are oral and there is a LOT of group work with active participation required (Problem Based Learning, if you Google it, is really big here). There are also study days in Swedish healthcare facilities even from the first term, and fluent Swedish is expected in these situations.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm an American studying medicine in Sweden.

You are like me :)
Where are you studying? Can you PM me, it would be really great to talk to someone in my situation.

Hey,
I am 4th year student of medicine. I live in the EU country and I would like to go to the internship ( AT ) in Sweden right after finishing my studies. Is it possible? If it is, what I should do before finishing my studies?:rolleyes:
Thank you so much for your help :)