Want to Become a Rural Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lakevu

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot fo articles lately that there is a growing need for rural doctors in America. I would really like to help out with this but I have no idea where to start. Can somebody help me?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school would probably be a good first step.
You could also shadow a rural doc to see what its like.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you from a rural community? Ever lived in one? Ever worked in one? I would do some experimenting with rural life and see if you could really do it. In my experience either you love it or you hate it and you need to know which type of person you are.

Yes, medical school would be a good start. Were you already planning on going to medical school or is this a new idea for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some medical schools are designed for future rural practitioners.

Focus on school for now and work on things you're passionate about.

There are?! Do they offer a program or is it more of a speciality that you choose when going to residency??

Are you from a rural community? Ever lived in one? Ever worked in one? I would do some experimenting with rural life and see if you could really do it. In my experience either you love it or you hate it and you need to know which type of person you are.

Yes, medical school would be a good start. Were you already planning on going to medical school or is this a new idea for you?
Med School is a fairly new idea for me but the rural work is not. I was already planning on becoming a rural math teacher.

Medical school would probably be a good first step.
You could also shadow a rural doc to see what its like.
Any idea where I might be able to look for special programs and scholarships for Med school? Maybe some assistance for those wanting to become rural doctors?

Any idea where I might be able to look for special programs and scholarships for Med school? Maybe some assistance for those wanting to become rural doctors?

I can only speak from my regional experience. I am from the rural west and there are a few programs I’ve encountered out here. WWAMI (university of Washington) is probably the best out here if you are from Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho. During 3rd and 4th year you can rotate throughout the entire 5 state region, much of it being rural. You are also required to have some training in Seattle so you will get a good mix of rural and urban training. It is very difficult to get into UWSOM if you are outside of this region though.

RVU is a DO school in Denver that has a rural track that allows some additional training and rotations at rural locations. Many of the students speak very highly of it.

I am not familiar with rural programs further East, but I know they exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I also would like to become a rural doc.
step 1. Graduate med school. Get rural exposure there if you can but you don’t necessarily need to go to a rural school. I got to a school in a large city but did my 3rd year clerkships in a far more rural area of the state.
step 2. Match residency. I actually am not planning on doing residency in a rural place. I felt like doing residency in an academic powerhouse might better prepare me for when I go Out on my own in a rural area of the country.
step 3. Watch your inbox and phone explode with job offers from rural areas with good pay.
step 4. Accept a job and become a rural physician
what do you plan on specializing on in residency? Have you applied for any scholarships that help with this sort of thing??