Want to get into an FM residency...WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, things have changed, but not that much. Most US MDs that I know apply to ~20 programs, interview at 10-15, and rank most of them. It's tougher to get through the mass of applications that every program seems to get, and programs interview like 100+ applicants.

Dude, you will get FM if you apply to a range of programs. Don't only apply to the top programs or only in one city or something.

If you're applying FM as a backup, I would drop that number down to 20. I'd also significantly reduce the number of programs you apply to for IM. You can get the same result with applying IM to 10-15 reaches, 10-15 reasonable programs, and 10-15 "safeties". You really don't need to be applying to 100+.

The truth is, its pointless to apply to a ton of programs, because you will not physically be able to interview at more than 15-20 places at most.

To give you an idea, I had a higher step score than you, but I'm a DO, and I had interviews from >70% of the programs I applied to. That said, it was more like 90%+ in the region of my med school (state and contiguous states) and like 40-50% in socal (have a connection there, but it wasn't obvious in my app).

You really will be fine. Write a good PS, get good LORs, and wait for invites to come in.
Ty for your answer, you help me)

Members don't see this ad.