Want to go back to Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsyance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I drifted from the pre-med path and became interested in a career in neuroscience research. I just graduated, but now have decided I want to finish my prerequisites and apply to medical school. So my question is.....

Does this sound insane?

.Fall 2010.
Chem I
.Physics I.
.Calculus.
Spring 2011.

.Chem II.
.Physics II.
.English.
.Bio Chem.
Summer 2011.

.O Chem I.
Fall 2011.

.O Chem II.
.O Chem lab.

I'd be taking the MCAT in the Spring of 2011, but would be able to retake it in August if need be. Naturally, I wouldn't matriculate until Fall 2012.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I drifted from the pre-med path and became interested in a career in neuroscience research. I just graduated, but now have decided I want to finish my prerequisites and apply to medical school. So my question is.....

Does this sound insane?

.Fall 2010.
Chem I
.Physics I.
.Calculus.
Spring 2011.

.Chem II.
.Physics II.
.English.
.Bio Chem.
Summer 2011.

.O Chem I.
Fall 2011.

.O Chem II.
.O Chem lab.

I'd be taking the MCAT in the Spring of 2011, but would be able to retake it in August if need be. Naturally, I wouldn't matriculate until Fall 2012.

Thoughts?
How exactly are you taking Biochem after just Chem I? Or before any organic, for that matter? I've never heard of a school where you can take Biochem before O Chem, as you kind of need the basic framework of O Chem to understand biochem.

Aside from that, it looks fine to me. It'll be hard, but as long as school is your #1 priority and you manage your time well, there's no reason this can't work. Take the MCAT in the spring of 2011 with the mindset that it will be the ONLY time you take it; if you go into it thinking "I always have another shot," there's always a temptation to not go all-out, and with a whole semester free from classes there's really no excuse for not to doing great on your first time anyways.

I'm assuming that if I can fit Bio Chem into my coursework, it'd be a good idea, and would probably help me qualify for more medical schools (as I know some want Bio Chem).

Could I take Bio Chem in Fall 2011 while I take O Chem II maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought O-Chem was a prereq for biochem? might be wrong though

At my school you can take Ochem II and Biochem at the same time.

Whoa whoa whoa. I just realized you're planning on taking the MCAT in Spring of '11 BEFORE taking O Chem I or II. That just won't work; O Chem is ~25% of the biological sciences section, and it's not really a subject that lends itself to self-teaching. Taking it in the middle of Gen Chem II (and to a lesser extent, Physics II) would also put you at a disadvantage.

Depending on your school, you might be allowed to take Biochem and O Chem 2 at the same time. But whatever you do, please don't take the MCAT without taking O Chem at all =/

Honestly, I have trouble seeing a situation in which you can apply any sooner than 2 years from now, and then plan on matriculating in the Fall of '13. I know that after all of your years of school already, you want to hurry through this as quickly as possible, but it's far better to just apply once and do it right than to be stuck applying multiple times because you tried applying too quickly.

Whoa whoa whoa. I just realized you're planning on taking the MCAT in Spring of '11 BEFORE taking O Chem I or II. That just won't work; O Chem is ~25% of the biological sciences section, and it's not really a subject that lends itself to self-teaching. Taking it in the middle of Gen Chem II (and to a lesser extent, Physics II) would also put you at a disadvantage.

Depending on your school, you might be allowed to take Biochem and O Chem 2 at the same time. But whatever you do, please don't take the MCAT without taking O Chem at all =/

Honestly, I have trouble seeing a situation in which you can apply any sooner than 2 years from now, and then plan on matriculating in the Fall of '13. I know that after all of your years of school already, you want to hurry through this as quickly as possible, but it's far better to just apply once and do it right than to be stuck applying multiple times because you tried applying too quickly.

Could I maybe take the MCAT right after the Spring semester ends? That way I'd have at least O Chem I.

When are you going to study for the mcat? I assume you are taking ochem 1 in the summer with lab. And according to your schedule, you won't be done with ochem until end of summer. I would agree there is no feasible way to apply any sooner than 2012.

Could I maybe take the MCAT right after the Spring semester ends? That way I'd have at least O Chem I.
I really don't recommend it. Not only will you not have O Chem II, but you won't have had any time to review any of the stuff, but you won't have time to crack an MCAT book to get any of the points that your school might not teach.

Furthermore, not only that, but when are you going to find time for clinical volunteering? Or writing your personal statement? Finding people to write your letters of recommendation? It really takes several years to prepare to apply for medical school and give yourself a reasonable chance.

Ive seen crazier, how old are you if you don't mind?

how were you planning on a career in neuroscience research if you hadn't ever taken a chem or physics class? and for that matter, how did you even graduate with a science degree?

how were you planning on a career in neuroscience research if you hadn't ever taken a chem or physics class? and for that matter, how did you even graduate with a science degree?

I don't think he graduated with a science degree. Ditto on your first point though.

OP: Your overall schedule is very similar to what I did my freshman/sophomore year, so it's not insane at all. Just re-schedule biochem, as everyone pointed out. You don't need to know that much orgo for biochem, just general familiarity with the concepts, so one semester should be sufficient. I had a friend that took biochem and orgo I at the same time and did fine on both.

I'm confused, if you just graduated, didn't your degree require you to take some English classes for GEC's? :confused: Do you really need to take another English course? It would lighten up your schedule for one thing...

Are you taking these [re]taking this courses because you had "drifted" from the pre-med path and need better grades? Or will this be your first time taking this coursework? Previous exposure would help with taking the MCAT according to your schedule.

I'm surprised your school didn't require any of this for a neuro degree. I mean I guess it makes sense but my undergrad definitely at least required inorganic chem.