Want to go into pharmacy but don't know if its worth it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juniorchemstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a junior chemistry/Pre-pharmacy major preparing to take the pcat during the 18-19 cycle. I've always wanted to be in the health profession but couldn't decide between what I really wanted to be so I shadowed a few doctors(Gen med and pain mngmt) and pharmacist and liked the pharmacist more. However the closer I get and the more negative things I am seeing about the pharmacist career the more I am starting to second guess myself. If you guys could share your opinions on both careers or know any other medical careers that would be really rewarding I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow additional professionals. If you really think pharmacy is the best fit, get some work experience in a pharmacy as a technician before applying to pharmacy school, but even before you do that, shadow more professionals in a diversity of practice settings. For ideas about other health care professionals, browse through Healthcare Occupations : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Also take advantage of any career counseling services your university provides (you pay for those services with your tuition and student fees, might as well take advantage of them if you haven't yet).

Just like when you make any major purchase, it's a good idea to make a list of a things that you "must have" and the things that would be ideal but not necessary for you to enjoy your career (consider consulting with a career advisor to make sure your list covers things that you might not have considered on your own), then look around different careers by shadowing, interning, and talking to people in the field.

I don't know you, so I can't tell you which career you will find more rewarding. Although I will say that If you highly value job security, I would avoid the pharmacy profession for now.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently a junior chemistry/Pre-pharmacy major preparing to take the pcat during the 18-19 cycle. I've always wanted to be in the health profession but couldn't decide between what I really wanted to be so I shadowed a few doctors(Gen med and pain mngmt) and pharmacist and liked the pharmacist more. However the closer I get and the more negative things I am seeing about the pharmacist career the more I am starting to second guess myself. If you guys could share your opinions on both careers or know any other medical careers that would be really rewarding I would greatly appreciate it.

"worth it" is way too vague of a metric. What are you looking for in pharmacy? an easy job? lots of demand? signing bonuses? high wage? low stress? prestige? help people?

maybe tell us what you are looking for more specifically. NP, CRNA, PA all are in way more demand and are better programs in my opinion. I went into pharmacy because I like learning how psychoactive drugs work. I think if you are content working as a pharmacist for 25 USD a year, 50,000 USD a year; you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 1 users