Want to go to dental school in Austrailia after graduate from here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eminent1217

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have question about how to go to dental school in Austrailia. I am going to graduate from my college in an year. I have 99 credits and majored in Biology. I want to know what kind of stat should I have to get into dental school in univ of sydney. I have heard that I can take the DAT except their exam. So, what kind of GPA and DAT score should I have in order to get in there? Also, how do I process the application? Waiting for you guys help. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know what kind of stat should I have to get into dental school in univ of sydney. I have heard that I can take the DAT except their exam. So, what kind of GPA and DAT score should I have in order to get in there? Also, how do I process the application?

Yes, the University of Sydney will accept either the US or Canadian DAT instead of the Australian exam (GAMSAT) if you are an international applicant.

Local students have to apply through the GAMSAT online application service. However, I think if you are an international applicant.. you may also be able to apply directly to the University. I don't know what the min acceptable DAT score would be. Just like US schools.. it varies from year to year depending on the average score of your fellow applicants. Sydney University usually accepts 10 international students (mostly Canadians) every year and there are usually quite a few applicants for these spots.

For the most up to date information you should contact:

Mrs Anne Quinlan
Admissions officer
Faculty Administrative Unit,
Faculty of Dentistry

Phone: +61 2 9351 8308
Fax: +61 2 9351 8333
Email: [email protected]

C12 - Faculty of Dentistry
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

Good luck!

Here are a couple of student testimonials you might find interesting:
student 1
student 2
Here is a guy who graduated a few years ago and now works in the US

Last edited:
Yes, the University of Sydney will accept either the US or Canadian DAT instead of the Australian exam (GAMSAT) if you are an international applicant.

Local students have to apply through the GAMSAT online application service. However, I think if you are an international applicant.. you may also be able to apply directly to the University. I don't know what the min acceptable DAT score would be. Just like US schools.. it varies from year to year depending on the average score of your fellow applicants. Sydney University usually accepts 10 international students (mostly Canadians) every year and there are usually quite a few applicants for these spots.

Mrs Anne Quinlan
Admissions officer
Faculty of Dentistry

The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

Good luck!

student 1
student 2

Thank you so much for your help. I have just talked Ann, and I could have much more informations than I expected. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)

Mrs Anne Quinlan
Admissions officer
Faculty of Dentistry

The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

Good luck!

student 1
student 2

If I want to come back to the USA and want to practice here, what do I need to do? Do I need to take some kind of exam? such as NBDE? or Do I need to go back to school?

If I want to come back to the USA and want to practice here, what do I need to do? Do I need to take some kind of exam? such as NBDE? or Do I need to go back to school?

If you attend dental school in the US or want to apply to a US residency program you will be required to take and pass the NBDE exams. These exams are not required however if you want to work in Canada.

At the moment.. If you will see in the last link from my post there is an example of an American who graduated from Sydney and then went back to the US. He wanted to return to work in his home state of Washington which required him to complete 2 years of US residency prior to obtaining a license.

There are some discussions currently that the CODA/US-ADA may develop a full reciprocal agreement with the ADC/Aus-ADA and allow both US dentists to work in Australia and Australian dentists to work in the US without further study or exams... but it hasn't happened yet.

I'll tell you what though.. by in large.. the majority of the US and Canadian students who do attend dental school in Australia end up staying, not because they couldn't get into some residency program back in the states.. but because they usually fall in love with the country and because dental graduates here are making the same salaries if not higher salaries than US dental grads (especially considering the US economy). So.. you may come over with the idea of going back.. but you may end up liking it so much you want to stay. :)

Last edited:
If you attend dental school in the US or want to apply to a US residency program you will be required to take and pass the NBDE exams. These exams are not required however if you want to work in Canada.

At the moment.. If you will see in the last link from my post there is an example of an American who graduated from Sydney and then went back to the US. He wanted to return to work in his home state of Washington which required him to complete 2 years of US residency prior to obtaining a license.

There are some discussions currently that the CODA/US-ADA may develop a full reciprocal agreement with the ADC/Aus-ADA and allow both US dentists to work in Australia and Australian dentists to work in the US without further study or exams... but it hasn't happened yet.

I'll tell you what though.. by in large.. the majority of the US and Canadian students who do attend dental school in Australia end up staying, not because they couldn't get into some residency program back in the states.. but because they usually fall in love with the country and because dental graduates here are making the same salaries if not higher salaries than US dental grads (especially considering the US economy). So.. you may come over with the idea of going back.. but you may end up liking it so much you want to stay. :)

Thank you for the information!!!:laugh:

I think you are currently in Austrailia and doing your residency. Can I ask your stat when you were getting into the school if you are ok? right now I have 3.2 gpa and I think I will be able to get 19 for the DAT. How is this look to you? Am I competetive?:laugh:

Thank you for the information!!!:laugh:

I think you are currently in Austrailia and doing your residency. Can I ask your stat when you were getting into the school if you are ok? right now I have 3.2 gpa and I think I will be able to get 19 for the DAT. How is this look to you? Am I competetive?:laugh:

Sorry.. I'm not really able to comment. Scores are all relative.. it varies year to year and depends on the scores of the other North Americans applying for the spots. Those 10 spots are reserved for internationals.. so you are only competing with other internationals for those spots (not local students). If one year there are 300 US/Canadian applicants for the 10 spots and all of them have 3.8+gpas but 17-18 on the DAT then the min scores required would be different than the following year if there were 350 applicants for the 10 spots and each had gpas of 3.0-3.3 and DAT scores of 20s. (not sure if that makes any sense). Also, be aware that the faculty also recieves applications from the UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc for those same spots.

Again.. Anne Quinlan would be the best person to speak for more details about admission. Good luck!

Last edited: