helix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
Status
I graduated with a major in Biochemistry in Summer 2004. I am currently studying for DAT and will be applying this year for FALL 2006 class.
I have a low GPA and I understand that getting a good score in DAT might help me with getting adm. in dental schools, but is there a way to enroll in an online university or something to take the classes I did not do well in and improve my GPA??

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
helix said:
I graduated with a major in Biochemistry in Summer 2004. I am currently studying for DAT and will be applying this year for FALL 2006 class.
I have a low GPA and I understand that getting a good score in DAT might help me with getting adm. in dental schools, but is there a way to enroll in an online university or something to take the classes I did not do well in and improve my GPA??
Are you talking about science courses, business courses, etc.? I don't know how adcoms would react to transcripts from an online university. My advise is that if you want to raise your gpa then the best bet would be to enroll in a community college or your local university and retake them there.

OP
H

helix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
Status
Sprgrover said:
Are you talking about science courses, business courses, etc.? I don't know how adcoms would react to transcripts from an online university. My advise is that if you want to raise your gpa then the best bet would be to enroll in a community college or your local university and retake them there.
Thats a good solution. I have moved from where I did my undergraduate degree and btw I was talking about a few science courses :(

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
a lot of people with poor undergraduate grades also enroll in a one year graduate program of some sort and do awesome in it to show adcoms they have changed their ways. if your undergrad science grades are OK, not terrible but not great, like a 3.0, you might want to do that instead of retaking the same science classes.

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
helix said:
How low of a GPA are we talking about here? Sub 3.0? Sub sub 3.0?

If you are in REAL bad shape (GPA wise -- the sub sub one) you may want to consider getting your masters and keeping that GPA rather high. This shows the schools you are capable maintaining good grades. Combine this with good DAT scores.

If you are in DECENT shape (~3.0) you have a good shot with a solid score on the DAT (20's). There are plenty of people on SDN who are in that catagory and I believe many of them have been accepted. Additionally, maybe you should continue takling some science classes -- doing as best as possible. Sorry, I don't know about the online thing and how that would be viewed by the d-schools. You're better off IMO at a college/university/JC.

OP
H

helix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
Status
Well, I talking about 2.8 - which is I guess pretty bad compared to 3.0 which would work out fine.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
So what about those with a BCP gpa of 2.3? +pity+

lake04

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
Status
Hey Iceman:

Are you an applicant for the current cycle or are you preparing for the upcoming 06 cycle? If the former, where have you applied and any interviews? Is that bcp you mentioned real?

thanx!

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Take 20 units of upper division science course work at a university that is near by and get 20 units of A. This will pull your sci GPA up abouve 3.0. Combined with a good DAT score and Extra Curr. you should have no problem.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
lake04 said:
Hey Iceman:

Are you an applicant for the current cycle or are you preparing for the upcoming 06 cycle? If the former, where have you applied and any interviews? Is that bcp you mentioned real?

thanx!
I'm planning on applying for 2006 cycle. Yes that BCP is real, but it might be like 2.4 now. I'll be honest I've gotten mostly C's in science classes, because I didnt have much direction in undergrad and studied about as hard for them as I did music appreciation :thumbdown: . I SORELY regret that now, since I'm gonna have to do TONS of work to get in d-school anywhere. +pissed+

DestinyDDS

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
IcemanDDS said:
I'm planning on applying for 2006 cycle. Yes that BCP is real, but it might be like 2.4 now. I'll be honest I've gotten mostly C's in science classes, because I didnt have much direction in undergrad and studied about as hard for them as I did music appreciation :thumbdown: . I SORELY regret that now, since I'm gonna have to do TONS of work to get in d-school anywhere. +pissed+

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am part of the low gpa club. I have a 3.03 cumm, 2.75 bcp, and 2.6 sci. My dats aren't too hot either (AA: 18, TS: 18, PAT: 17, bio: 18, gchem: 17, ochem: 20, rc: 16, qr: 18). I'm taking 3 sci class (14units) this semester at a jc to try to bring up the gpa but i'm not sure how much it's going to help. Can someone explain to me how to calculate the g.p.a thing. Also, should I be notifying the schools that I am taking classes this semester even though the grades don't come out till late may/early june? I don't even have a single interview yet and things aren't going in my favor since it's getting late in the apps. cycle. Should I start focusing on retakin my dat and takin more sci class? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanx!

DDSdude

Never Give Up...Never
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
AUG2UAG said:
since you mentioned doing classes online, you can take advantage of the distance education classes many universities offer. for instance, UCLA and UC-Berkley offer classes through 'Extension' and you can take upper division and lower division classes there as a "non-degree"/undergrad student. these classes will count toward your undergraduate GPA and improve it accordingly. the classes that will be of interest are (any) "independent studies" courses. furthermore, you can complete these classes in a short amount of time; on the flipside you can also opt to stretch a single class for 2 years, in case you want to take your time :confused:
my personal reccomendation is the univ of alabama b/c they are (one of) the least expensive. Here's a link to their program:
http://academicoutreach.ua.edu/

btw,
schools give no preference for where you attend school (as long as the school is accredited), granted you are a student from a well known univ., adcom's will add points to your gpa (reflecting your school's strength). they will never take away points because you took classes from a college or unknown school.
Actually I have been in a meeting with the dean of a dental school and also met with dental board admin members who have flat out said that they do consider where you went to school. If an applicant is very similiar in numbers and experience, the final decision will be made on school attended. Also, they prefer you attend a 4 year university for pre-reqs rather than a community college. The perception is a 4 year university has more rigorous/busy work classes compared to a community college. I am not saying all schools feel this way, but some do.

True they don't take away points but it is an intangible aspect to the admin's decision.

OP
H

helix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
Status
Apart from taking classes and stuff to improve my GPA, I have decided to "observe" a dentist. I can't be assisting him so I will be going to his clinic and observing him, asking him questions - I donno, I'll probably learn something. Hoping that this kind of interest will be appreciated during admissions in d-schools. :scared:

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
DDSdude said:
Actually I have been in a meeting with the dean of a dental school and also met with dental board admin members who have flat out said that they do consider where you went to school. If an applicant is very similiar in numbers and experience, the final decision will be made on school attended. Also, they prefer you attend a 4 year university for pre-reqs rather than a community college. The perception is a 4 year university has more rigorous/busy work classes compared to a community college. I am not saying all schools feel this way, but some do.

True they don't take away points but it is an intangible aspect to the admin's decision.
Very true. This is straight from the Case 2004-2005 Admissions Info brochure:

"GPA's are not considered the only measure of a student's level of performance in a school. Also taken into account are the type of college attended."

It certainly isn't a stretch to assume that many dental schools consider this in the admissions process. As to how important it is, I don't know and frankly don't care since most of my classes were taken at the university level.

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
AUG2UAG said:
thanks for sharing your nastyness nasty one.

ps-
$10 says a sociable 3.5 student from hobo college of the canyons w/ avg dat scores can get into case (assuming s/he applied early)... what the heck is your point? :laugh:
Was I even talking to you?

AUG2UAG--the king of overreaction. Not sure how you got offended from that statement. A few weeks ago you tried to slam me because I couldn't "prove" that dental schools considered the school you attended in the admissions process:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2268648&postcount=21

Now you are pissed because I show proof. You have a serious chip on your shoulder, man. Whatever happened to this?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2278208&postcount=25

P.S. I'm sure current SDN Case students appreciate your comments on the school.