Want to know what's really scary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destinydell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

destinydell said:
When you've spent so many hours looking at the websites of various professors at grad schools you want to apply to that you open some random article on MSN, see a name, and say, 'oh, I know him...he's a psychologist at Yale who researches eating disorders. He got his PhD in 1979 and his favorite color is chartreuse.'

Seriously though, it's happened like three times that I've come across some vaguely psych related article and recognized the name of a professor of some college psych department. I don't know if that's impressive or very sad...

Who is Kelly Brownell? [in my best Jeopardy! tone]

destinydell said:
When you've spent so many hours looking at the websites of various professors at grad schools you want to apply to that you open some random article on MSN, see a name, and say, 'oh, I know him...he's a psychologist at Yale who researches eating disorders. He got his PhD in 1979 and his favorite color is chartreuse.'

Seriously though, it's happened like three times that I've come across some vaguely psych related article and recognized the name of a professor of some college psych department. I don't know if that's impressive or very sad...

I've had this happen several times as well, even with post-docs. Sad indeed. ~sigh~

Members don't see this ad :)
Had it happen today at work! An article was being read at a training I had to bite my tongue to keep from shouting out the info.

Tara P

Or worse- when you know random crap about the professors' graduate students. The internet makes this too easy... and makes me feel like a total stalker;)

PublicHealth said:
Who is Kelly Brownell? [in my best Jeopardy! tone]

He loves the spotlight (see Super Size Me) :)

I know exactely what you are talking about. I had to laugh out loud when I read your post. Yes, it is true :laugh:And you know what else?

The internet----I finished it !

I'm always embarrassed when I see a psychologist appearing on a talk show or being quoted in an article in something like Cosmo or some other trash rag. And I'm also embarrassed that Dr. Phil exists and that's what a lot of the population think that's what all psychologists are like.

PsyDGrrrl said:
I'm always embarrassed when I see a psychologist appearing on a talk show or being quoted in an article in something like Cosmo or some other trash rag. And I'm also embarrassed that Dr. Phil exists and that's what a lot of the population think that's what all psychologists are like.

Umm, why would you be embarrassed by these folks?

These folks are what give a public face to psychology and in fact, many of them are legitimate professionals with deep backgrounds and experience in the areas they discuss. Even though Dr. Phil isn't an ideal figure, he's the modern-day equivalent of Albert Ellis in many ways, calling BS on people in a format that many people relate to.

Don't think a doctorate gives you some special insight or ability that others should just respect you for. People respect you for who you are and the good work you do. Just because some of these people work more in the public eye shouldn't tell you they haven't worked hard to get to that point in their lives... and since that's what the public sees, that's how most people will judge you.

-John

docjohng said:
Umm, why would you be embarrassed by these folks?

These folks are what give a public face to psychology and in fact, many of them are legitimate professionals with deep backgrounds and experience in the areas they discuss. Even though Dr. Phil isn't an ideal figure, he's the modern-day equivalent of Albert Ellis in many ways, calling BS on people in a format that many people relate to.

Don't think a doctorate gives you some special insight or ability that others should just respect you for. People respect you for who you are and the good work you do. Just because some of these people work more in the public eye shouldn't tell you they haven't worked hard to get to that point in their lives... and since that's what the public sees, that's how most people will judge you.

-John

Yes, but Dr. Phil's work is not going to help these people in the long run and he makes it sound like all you need to do is listen to his one hour of advice and all your problems are solved. That's the American way - the quick fix - and it really doesn't work. Nor do people really learn anything about themselves, or the tools to solve the problems themselves.

And I should clarify, not all psychologists on talk shows embarrass me. It's those who stoop to the level of Jerry Springer and the trash talk shows, not shows like Oprah.

NOT shows like Oprah? There will always be charlatans, and it is our job to educate our patients on what a real licensed psychologist should be...don't you think? Sorry I am not an Oprah fan, I feel she panders to the PC/ touchy-feely type mindset that gets many of my patients into Tx in the first place. 1st lesson= life is not fair.

PsyDGrrrl said:
Yes, but Dr. Phil's work is not going to help these people in the long run and he makes it sound like all you need to do is listen to his one hour of advice and all your problems are solved. That's the American way - the quick fix - and it really doesn't work. Nor do people really learn anything about themselves, or the tools to solve the problems themselves.

And I should clarify, not all psychologists on talk shows embarrass me. It's those who stoop to the level of Jerry Springer and the trash talk shows, not shows like Oprah.

Putting aside the question of whether such people are helped in the long run or not by a Dr. Phil-like intervention (they do get longer-term followup care after the show as standard), what about the people who watch such shows? Since millions do, there's the opportunity to educate folks about some basic things we, as psychology students or professionals, already know (and maybe sometimes take for granted).

The fact, for instance, that a mental disorder is not the person's fault. That personality issues can be overcome, that you do need to take some responsibility for the choices you make in life, and for choosing to get help or to try and change. That change is possible, that a different way of living is possible.

I agree that quick fixes don't work, and that American society is all too often focused on the quik fix (e.g., medications). That's why shows like this offer a field like psychology the opportunity to let the world know that all psychotherapy isn't lying down on a couch, and that it's not some mystical practice. The more light and knowledge that such shows can bring to the general public, the better the public will be to make (somewhat better) informed choices about things like their mental health and treatment.

-John

psisci said:
NOT shows like Oprah? There will always be charlatans, and it is our job to educate our patients on what a real licensed psychologist should be...don't you think? Sorry I am not an Oprah fan, I feel she panders to the PC/ touchy-feely type mindset that gets many of my patients into Tx in the first place. 1st lesson= life is not fair.

I'm not a huge Oprah fan either, but I respect her much more than folks like Jerry Springer and Rickie Lake and the like.