Want to make sure this is clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started a part-time job while studying as a valet in an ER. While not in the job description, I frequently helped people into wheelchairs and transported them into the ER desk...unless they were bleeding out/it was an extreme emergency, then I contacted the nurse. I also talked to a lot patients as they were waiting for rides. My boss and the nurses seemed fine with the setup since I was usually the first person people saw/talked to, and even asked for my help in wheeling the patients on some occasions.

Can I add this as clinical experience even though it was of my own volition rather than "my job?"

Members don't see this ad.

You were employed by a health care facility. As part of your job you had face to face contact with patients. You had to speak to patients and in some cases you had to make decisions to bring the patient to the attention of health professionals stat. You had to reassure anxious, suffering people there to seek health care. Sounds clinical to me. That said, it shouldn't be your only experience in a health care setting. Be sure to have at least some shadowing or volunteerism in a clinical setting, ideally in a primary care setting.

Reactions: 1 users
You were employed by a health care facility. As part of your job you had face to face contact with patients. You had to speak to patients and in some cases you had to make decisions to bring the patient to the attention of health professionals stat. You had to reassure anxious, suffering people there to seek health care. Sounds clinical to me. That said, it shouldn't be your only experience in a health care setting. Be sure to have at least some shadowing or volunteerism in a clinical setting, ideally in a primary care setting.

Just making sure, thank you! I appreciate your guys' time.