want to practice dentistry in the US, got some questions

Sep 2, 2015
hey guys, I'm new here.

I just finished residency and got my license in dentistry here in Armenia, but I want to practice dentistry in the US. Got few questions and would appreciate any guidance and help

- do I even have a chance to practice in States? not a citizen and didn't study dentistry there.
- what is the first step? NBDE part 1 exam?
- what happens after I pass the exam? getting into the university?
- I want to do either Endodontics or restorations, how will that work?
Jul 20, 2015
To practice in the U.S., you need to pass the NBDE part 1 and part 2. Flowing that you need to apply to dental schools that accept foreign-trained graduates in advanced standing, there are many schools in the U.S. that offer this option.
When you are accepted, you will be admitted to 3rd and 4th year. After graduation there is the state’s licensing exam.

The second option: your can apply for a General Practice Residency for two years but only after passing the NBDE Part I and NBDE Part II. Several states will accept the 2 years GPR as equivalent to the advanced standing. Then you can sit for that state’s licensing exam. However, practicing dentistry might be limited to that state

The third option: You may specialize by doing graduate studies in one of the dental specialties. Upon graduation, this will qualify you to apply to states that accept foreign-trained graduates who acquired specialty training in the US to receive a specialist license limited to this specialty, in addition they can teach in dental schools. Many dental schools will allow faculty to practice dentistry in the dental faculty practice within the school with a teaching license.
  • Like
Reactions: dante72