Want to practice in CO, good idea to get into anes?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by sandstone, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sandstone

sandstone 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone,
    Third year DO student here. I've been really considering going for anesthesiology, it sounds awesome. However, my goal is to live in Colorado, a state that allows CRNAs to practice independently.

I know there's tons of threads about the CRNA issue, and I've read many of them. It seems that nobody really knows how things will turn out with this issue, so I'm sorry if this is redundant. I only ask these questions because I would be 100% on board for going anes, but if Colorado prospects are dim, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Is it a good idea to get into the field if the state that I want to practice in already has independent CRNAs? Would my job prospects or salary be affected? How would this impact me if I want to live in a rural mountain town vs Denver area? Would getting fellowship trained help? Thanks!

Last edited: 09.29.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. IkeBoy18

IkeBoy18 ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My humble opinion is that you should just do what you want. Geographical preferences shouldnt play a huge role in the career you will have for 25+ yrs. For all we know all the states will have independent CRNAs before we finish training.

FFP and sandstone like this.
  4. Stank811

Stank811 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

My state has been an opt out state for almost a decade and has not changed much as far as I can tell….even when talking to the more experienced partners in my group they have not seen more independent CRNA practice and actually feel like they are seeing less bc big hospitals systems are expanding to rural areas. Do what you like….everything will work out in the end….the CRNA discussions have been going on for decades and have not changed much.

sandstone likes this.
  5. imfrankie

imfrankie Anesthesiologist 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the CRNA discussions have changed--or should have--considerably since I finished training in the late 90s. When I finished there were trace numbers of CRNAs working at my academic medical center; now there are significant numbers working there as they are at many others, including specialty academic hospitals, e.g. children's. In addition, the AMC model has emerged and grown very quickly in the last few years. I love my job, but it's a tough business. Frankly, if I were to do it over again and choose anesthesiology now, I'd either work to get academic tenure post haste, or in private practice initially go wherever the pay is superlative and bank like winter's coming.

sandstone and BLADEMDA like this.
  6. nycitygas

nycitygas ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Meh, it's extremely difficult to get academic tenure unless youre a born academic.

I wouldn't worry so much about CRNAs-in my area they are actually slowly being phased out with AAs-I didn't believe until I saw it firsthand.

About the ads