Want to prepare my kids to be the best applicant for med. school?

letmeinwillya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm first generation immigrant myself, didn't go to med. school here in the US. Currently PGY-3. In case my kids decide to apply to med school (they are in primary school as we speak), what should they do so they are considered a "good" applicant?

I ask because I hear/see/read that you need to have extra curricular activities, social service/volunteer experience, sports to show that you are a well rounded person.

I went through med. school overseas (non-carribean) and all I needed was good scores and an entry test (sorta of like MCAT I suppose) and nothing else ( I didn't need to write an essay, have done any volunteer work in my life or played any sports).

How would you reverse engineer the process knowing that you or your kids would apply to med. school in the goo ol' US of A? :)

Thank you!

PS: New to this sub forum, nice to meet you!

Members don't see this ad.

Let your kids find their own way; it's way too early to be thinking about this. If anything, it'll turn them off to the idea. Come back here in 10-15 years if they decide they want to pursue medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
Having immigrant parents myself, I understand that many immigrant parents really hope their kids will excel in science/medicine/law etc, but it's so important to your kids' well-being (as well as their relationship to you) to not be overbearing/neurotic about this. I am like 99% certain my parents always hoped I would do medicine, but they hid that desire/pressure extremely well until when I was old enough to understand. When I was your kids' age, I wanted to be a paleontologist, and god dammit my parents helped me borrow dinosaur books, movies, and documentaries from the library to my heart's content. At this point, all you should be doing is encouraging good school habits and giving them room to explore their interests. It is much too early to be thinking about this.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best way is to let your kids develop altruistic mindset and confidence. In addition, encourge guided independent problem solving and good study habit.

They need some stress and responsibilities and more importantly coping strategy to stress. Do not give them too much stress. It is unhealthy and will backfire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I'm first generation immigrant myself, didn't go to med. school here in the US. Currently PGY-3. In case my kids decide to apply to med school (they are in primary school as we speak), what should they do so they are considered a "good" applicant?

I ask because I hear/see/read that you need to have extra curricular activities, social service/volunteer experience, sports to show that you are a well rounded person.

I went through med. school overseas (non-carribean) and all I needed was good scores and an entry test (sorta of like MCAT I suppose) and nothing else ( I didn't need to write an essay, have done any volunteer work in my life or played any sports).

How would you reverse engineer the process knowing that you or your kids would apply to med. school in the goo ol' US of A? :)

Thank you!

PS: New to this sub forum, nice to meet you!

Teach them social skills by letting them have fun, make mistakes, and hangout with other kids

Reactions: 2 users
Being a well-rounded person will help them in any future career endeavor. Let them develop their own interests and passions.

When I was your kids' age, I wanted to be a paleontologist, and god dammit my parents helped me borrow dinosaur books, movies, and documentaries from the library to my heart's content. At this point, all you should be doing is encouraging good school habits and giving them room to explore their interests. It is much too early to be thinking about this.
Lol! My 6 year old is quite strongwilled and for the past 3 years he alternates between being a paleontologist or a construction worker! :uhno:
This month he's building "homes" from empty amazon boxes and duct tape :confused:... I'm 100% sure next month we'll be digging for dinosaur bones again at the beach :rolleyes:.

@letmeinwillya, let them be kids and let their imaginations run wild :cool:. Let them decide for themselves if being a physician is what they truly want.

Last edited:
I'm pre-med with kids, applying this cycle. So far, four of my kids have expressed an interest in pursuing medicine later in their lives. One changed her mind freshman year of college ("takes too long to make real money"), one has decided to be a pure biologist instead (this week...who knows next week), one is passionate about music but is convinced that he'd rather be a doctor and have music as a hobby, and one loves marine mammals but thinks he'll be a doctor and use his 'doctor earnings' to save marine wildlife on the side. Our fifth child has never had any desire to do anything medical, and is more engineering-minded.

My husband and I don't discourage any of their dreams or push them toward medicine...instead, we go to museums, get books from the library, attend concerts and plays, and use birthday trips to encourage exploring new ideas and things they love. We volunteer in our community. We show up and cheer at their musical performances, sporting events, and academic achievements. We talk to them and really listen when they tell us about what they're excited about. We encourage good academic habits and help with school projects when they need us.

We also are deliberately encouraging them to be good people. We encourage community service opportunities, as well as just helping out a neighbor, family member or friend. If we see a need we try to meet it. They see me pursuing my dream every day as I talk to them about school, studying, and applying to med school. I think this encourages them that they can pursue whatever they want in the future as well. If that happens to be medicine, I think they will be well prepared for those steps when the time comes, but I also think they will be well-rounded and well-equipped for whatever they choose to pursue.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your replies! I'm not pushing them to go to med school at this early age. Trying to familiarize myself about the process of applying to college in general where simply good grades apparently are not the ticket to admissions.

Seeing their parents in the fields of Engineering and Medicine, they may show the desire down the road but of course I would leave it up to them to eventually what they would like to pursue in terms of what fields to pursue.

Imagine an acquaintance who moved to US and doesn't know the system, how should they go about preparing their children for college application process? I know it may seem early and I think it is but then again I wouldn't want to be at the time of application to colleges and not know that I was supposed to get some certificate or some such thing where kids volunteered or something.

The reason I'm asking the question here is because medical school is arguably among the toughest colleges to get into so if there're things that are looked at during the admission process to a med. school, it would serve anyone well even if they were applying to non-med schools. I hope I'm making sense.

I appreciate your feedback and looking forward to learning all about it. Feel free to share your experience on how you came up through the years to become a great applicant or how you are working towards becoming one.

Thank you for your replies! I'm not pushing them to go to med school at this early age. Trying to familiarize myself about the process of applying to college in general where simply good grades apparently are not the ticket to admissions.

Seeing their parents in the fields of Engineering and Medicine, they may show the desire down the road but of course I would leave it up to them to eventually what they would like to pursue in terms of what fields to pursue.

Imagine an acquaintance who moved to US and doesn't know the system, how should they go about preparing their children for college application process? I know it may seem early and I think it is but then again I wouldn't want to be at the time of application to colleges and not know that I was supposed to get some certificate or some such thing where kids volunteered or something.

The reason I'm asking the question here is because medical school is arguably among the toughest colleges to get into so if there're things that are looked at during the admission process to a med. school, it would serve anyone well even if they were applying to non-med schools. I hope I'm making sense.

I appreciate your feedback and looking forward to learning all about it. Feel free to share your experience on how you came up through the years to become a great applicant or how you are working towards becoming one.
Medical school here is considered a professional degree, not simply a bachelor's degree. So they can start preparing when they go to college. By then, they should be able to figure out by themselves about their future degree.

It goes like this:
Highschool-->college(4yr)-->medical school(4yr)-->pgy

Medical school here is considered a professional degree, not simply a bachelor's degree. So they can start preparing when they go to college. By then, they should be able to figure out by themselves about their future degree.

It goes like this:
Highschool-->college(4yr)-->medical school(4yr)-->pgy

So how does one become an attractive applicant to colleges and then to med. schools? Is there's some method to the madness? :)

Does it matter if one pursued any science related subjects in College? In other words, if my kids wanted to learn fiction writing in College, they could still qualify for med school provided they take the MCAT and whatever other CATs :) they need!

So how does one become an attractive applicant to colleges and then to med. schools? Is there's some method to the madness? :)

Does it matter if one pursued any science related subjects in College? In other words, if my kids wanted to learn fiction writing in College, they could still qualify for med school provided they take the MCAT and whatever other CATs :) they need!
You seem to be more interested in getting your kids into the best schools rather than making sure they end up well-rounded, curious individuals who contribute to society. They're in primary school. Let them be kids. Foster a home environment of love of learning, curiosity, and service to others. If they develop an interest in something, encourage that and don't let them give up on it just because it's too hard.

Like many posters have said above, it's way too early to start thinking about what they need in college in order to get into medical school (unless your kids are skipping multiple grades and going into their senior year of high school next year). Listen to all the good advice that's already been given. That's the best you can do.

You seem to be more interested in getting your kids into the best schools rather than making sure they end up well-rounded, curious individuals who contribute to society. They're in primary school. Let them be kids. Foster a home environment of love of learning, curiosity, and service to others. If they develop an interest in something, encourage that and don't let them give up on it just because it's too hard.

Like many posters have said above, it's way too early to start thinking about what they need in college in order to get into medical school (unless your kids are skipping multiple grades and going into their senior year of high school next year). Listen to all the good advice that's already been given. That's the best you can do.
I'm not saying anything to the kids :) They don't know that I'm secretly plotting their future moves..kidding!! My interest is in learning the process and give them the best chance by doing things that would not only make them a well rounded contributor to the society at large but also give them better shot at college and beyond.

As I mentioned earlier, I belong to a different era and for that matter a different country, so some of the things that are common knowledge may not be that obvious to me.

Getting into college doesn’t require top grades and a bunch of extracurriculars, it just requires a high school diploma or GED. There are colleges all over this country that will take students who barely passed high school, whether they are ready for college or not. Getting into a top 20 college requires excellent grades, extracurriculars, standardized test scores (ACT/SAT), etc. From there, good grades (3.0-3.5+ GPA for DO, 3.75+ for MD) and a decent MCAT score (~500-505 for DO, 507+ for MD), plus shadowing, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and research will get you into a medical school in the US. For a top 20 medical school, you’re looking at needing a higher GPA, MCAT score, more ECs, etc.

There is absolutely nothing you can do for your children at the primary school level that will help them get into medical school, except teach them how to learn and how to be good people. High school is the very earliest I would begin exploring this career path, and even then I would only say get some medical exposure through programs aimed at high schoolers, make the best grades you can, develop some interests outside of school, learn to be altruistic, and develop good time, money, and study management skills.

Yes, a college student can major in creative writing and apply to medical school, as long as they take all required premed prerequisites and MCAT. If anything, pursuing a major in something they are *passionate* about is probably a better strategy than majoring in biology (if they don’t have a special interest in biology specifically). For example, I’ve seen people major in sociology, then pursue extra coursework/thesis related to social determinants of health outcomes. Or, they could major in Asian or African studies and then study barriers to healthcare access in these populations. Or studying languages, and work as a language interpreter in the hospital. Study women’s studies, and volunteer in a women’s shelter/do clinical work in women’s health. There are endless possibilities.

If they study what they’re passionate about, then, the other stuff (volunteering, clinical experiences, higher level coursework) will fall into place. This is why everyone is saying that the most important thing is to let your kids be curious and have the freedom to figure out what they’re passionate about, in addition to building good study skills in middle school/high school.

What we’re trying to warn you about is a mentality of “OMG I have to go to med school, what do I have to do to get into med school” is actually counterproductive— these people tend not to allow themselves to explore their interests, and end up having very boring med school applications, which can ultimately be unsuccessful. I’m not saying that you are making this happen, I’m only explaining why everyone is basically telling you to not worry about this stuff right now.

What everyone else has said and one other item. There is another popular college web site out there that can give you good info and can lead you down the wrong rabbit hole. It can lead you to believe that if your precious children don't have perfect grades from kindergarten up, thousands of hours of volunteering, shadowing, have written and published papers in high school and started a non-profit that they will never be successful. So not true! To get into med school (or for me veterinary school) it doesn't really matter where you go to college if you have good grades, good test scores and experience hours, and have taken the prerequisites you are good. You don't have to go to Harvard or Stanford or Cornell. You can go to your local State U and be a top person in your field.

Let the kids be kids. Don't let them just sit and text all day. Get them out to talk to real people. Teach them to have fun and be social. Teach them to learn and to study efficiently. Don't make them take 20 AP classes in high school and burn out. Get them into something extracurricular that they love. Band, chess club, cooking club, gymnastics, baseball, robotics club, something (not too much - they need time to be kids). I will tell you the best thing I did as an elementary student was to go away in the summer to summer camp. 5 1/2 hours from home. One month every summer. No technology. Just outside fun. Kids being kids. I learned leadership (became a counselor), independence, archery (became state champion), and found my love of horses leading me to become a veterinarian. This isn't for all kids but think of this when thinking of the kids. Studying isn't all. Give them great life experiences. Travel if you can. Just enjoy!

Last edited:
My parents are also immigrants. And I have to say, the beginning new life in another country with endless opportunities is one of the best things they could give me. And I really appreciate that and I'm really happy my parents are responsive to my choices.
I agree with the statement you should teach them social skills and to be a well-rounded person. I truly believe that's really important on the way of every person to make the right decision on his/her career.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you ever need some assistance with your college assignment, feel free to visit essayshark to get high-quality help with your homework
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
They need good SAT scores and if they want to go to highly competitive college they will also need to take SAT II exams and should also take multiple Advanced Placement classes (AP). The best thing you can do is make sure they go to a high school that has access to lots of AP classes and is geared towards prepping kids for college. If they have a great GPA, SAT score, and a bunch of AP classes and nothing else then they may not get into Harvard but they will be able to get into a very good University with all the resources to set them up for medical school or other endeavors. Beyond putting the right resources in their view I would echo others and let them choose their own path. I went to a high school that was so rural that I didn't even know you could study for the SAT. No one ever advised me differently so I just winged it. It worked out in the end but ultimately I could have benefitted from a more academic high shool.

I think along the lines of what everyone else has said - let your kids be kids. Don't try to coerce them or force them into a path of your choosing. Sure, guide them and shape them as a parent would, but don't overrun their future dreams with your own ideas. The worst thing that you can do is to push your children down a career path that they truly don't align with.

This all being said, I think the most important quality that all professional schools look for nowadays is humanity. It's easy to train a person to be a good student, but not so easy to train one to be a good individual. Raise your children with an understanding of the humanities - expose them to the social, artistic, and philosophical aspects that make up the human condition. Put them in the arts that they enjoy doing, and expose them to opportunities that broaden their perspectives. Life is more than just a culmination of statistics (SAT, MCAT, GPA, Ranking, etc.) - there is more to a person than just their numbers, and I think that it is important that they realize this. If they have an understanding and appreciation for the finer aspects of life, they will be successful wherever they go. If they are raised with the perspective of achieving set scores and rankings, they will eventually lose motivation and direction. Raise your kids to become good human beings, and they'll succeed in whatever route they choose.

There's a 'tiger parent' stereotype that is often applied to 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from south and east Asia -- the idea that the kids are pushed and pressured into careers like medicine, engineering or law. While there is a genuine respect for the cultures and the value they place on education and hard work, there's also a generalized distrust of the results. Many of these kids rely overmuch on memorization, rote-learning and hard work as opposed to intrinsic love of learning and a joy of discovery. Creativity suffers. Emotional range is limited. Coping strategies are stunted. Burnout and other mental health issues are rampant. That's the stereotype --

So if your kids come off as having been pushed or pressured in this manner, that will be noticed and held against them -- even if they excel by all standardized measures.

Hence, all of the advice to "let them be kids!" So yeah - Let them be kids. Foster a wide range of interests when they're young and let them explore all that's available. Arts, history, museums, zoos, sports, nature. See where each child's natural interests and abilities take them, and go there - wherever it is. If they're not actually interested in becoming physicians, for goodness sake, don't try to force them!

When they get into middle school, if they're bright, funnel them into the more challenging classes -- up to the level of their abilities. In high school, two or three activities plus good academics can get them into a good-enough college, which is good enough to get them into medical school -- if they do well in college. Yes, really strong performance in high school can get you into a better college, which can get you into an even better medical school, which can get you into the very best residency programs. But in the end, any decent four-year college is good enough to allow a successful student to eventually become a doctor.