1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Want to prepare my kids to be the best applicant for med. school?

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by letmeinwillya, Nov 7, 2018.

1. letmeinwillya

2+ Year Member

Hi,
    I'm first generation immigrant myself, didn't go to med. school here in the US. Currently PGY-3. In case my kids decide to apply to med school (they are in primary school as we speak), what should they do so they are considered a "good" applicant?

I ask because I hear/see/read that you need to have extra curricular activities, social service/volunteer experience, sports to show that you are a well rounded person.

I went through med. school overseas (non-carribean) and all I needed was good scores and an entry test (sorta of like MCAT I suppose) and nothing else ( I didn't need to write an essay, have done any volunteer work in my life or played any sports).

How would you reverse engineer the process knowing that you or your kids would apply to med. school in the goo ol' US of A? :)

Thank you!

PS: New to this sub forum, nice to meet you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stubblesmcgee

Medical Student
    Let your kids find their own way; it's way too early to be thinking about this. If anything, it'll turn them off to the idea. Come back here in 10-15 years if they decide they want to pursue medicine.

4. capriccio

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Having immigrant parents myself, I understand that many immigrant parents really hope their kids will excel in science/medicine/law etc, but it's so important to your kids' well-being (as well as their relationship to you) to not be overbearing/neurotic about this. I am like 99% certain my parents always hoped I would do medicine, but they hid that desire/pressure extremely well until when I was old enough to understand. When I was your kids' age, I wanted to be a paleontologist, and god dammit my parents helped me borrow dinosaur books, movies, and documentaries from the library to my heart's content. At this point, all you should be doing is encouraging good school habits and giving them room to explore their interests. It is much too early to be thinking about this.

5. YoushallpassthyMCAT

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Best way is to let your kids develop altruistic mindset and confidence. In addition, encourge guided independent problem solving and good study habit.

They need some stress and responsibilities and more importantly coping strategy to stress. Do not give them too much stress. It is unhealthy and will backfire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

letmeinwillya likes this.
  6. ihaveagf

Teach them social skills by letting them have fun, make mistakes, and hangout with other kids

7. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Being a well-rounded person will help them in any future career endeavor. Let them develop their own interests and passions.

letmeinwillya likes this.
  8. PeleHonuaMea

PeleHonuaMea SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Lol! My 6 year old is quite strongwilled and for the past 3 years he alternates between being a paleontologist or a construction worker! :uhno:
    This month he's building "homes" from empty amazon boxes and duct tape :confused:... I'm 100% sure next month we'll be digging for dinosaur bones again at the beach :rolleyes:.

@letmeinwillya, let them be kids and let their imaginations run wild :cool:. Let them decide for themselves if being a physician is what they truly want.

#7 PeleHonuaMea, Nov 8, 2018 at 1:37 AM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 1:45 AM
    letmeinwillya, capriccio and Toutie like this.
  9. seaturtle98

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm pre-med with kids, applying this cycle. So far, four of my kids have expressed an interest in pursuing medicine later in their lives. One changed her mind freshman year of college ("takes too long to make real money"), one has decided to be a pure biologist instead (this week...who knows next week), one is passionate about music but is convinced that he'd rather be a doctor and have music as a hobby, and one loves marine mammals but thinks he'll be a doctor and use his 'doctor earnings' to save marine wildlife on the side. Our fifth child has never had any desire to do anything medical, and is more engineering-minded.

My husband and I don't discourage any of their dreams or push them toward medicine...instead, we go to museums, get books from the library, attend concerts and plays, and use birthday trips to encourage exploring new ideas and things they love. We volunteer in our community. We show up and cheer at their musical performances, sporting events, and academic achievements. We talk to them and really listen when they tell us about what they're excited about. We encourage good academic habits and help with school projects when they need us.

We also are deliberately encouraging them to be good people. We encourage community service opportunities, as well as just helping out a neighbor, family member or friend. If we see a need we try to meet it. They see me pursuing my dream every day as I talk to them about school, studying, and applying to med school. I think this encourages them that they can pursue whatever they want in the future as well. If that happens to be medicine, I think they will be well prepared for those steps when the time comes, but I also think they will be well-rounded and well-equipped for whatever they choose to pursue.

10. letmeinwillya

2+ Year Member

Thank you for your replies! I'm not pushing them to go to med school at this early age. Trying to familiarize myself about the process of applying to college in general where simply good grades apparently are not the ticket to admissions.

Seeing their parents in the fields of Engineering and Medicine, they may show the desire down the road but of course I would leave it up to them to eventually what they would like to pursue in terms of what fields to pursue.

Imagine an acquaintance who moved to US and doesn't know the system, how should they go about preparing their children for college application process? I know it may seem early and I think it is but then again I wouldn't want to be at the time of application to colleges and not know that I was supposed to get some certificate or some such thing where kids volunteered or something.

The reason I'm asking the question here is because medical school is arguably among the toughest colleges to get into so if there're things that are looked at during the admission process to a med. school, it would serve anyone well even if they were applying to non-med schools. I hope I'm making sense.

I appreciate your feedback and looking forward to learning all about it. Feel free to share your experience on how you came up through the years to become a great applicant or how you are working towards becoming one.

11. YoushallpassthyMCAT

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Medical school here is considered a professional degree, not simply a bachelor's degree. So they can start preparing when they go to college. By then, they should be able to figure out by themselves about their future degree.

It goes like this:
    Highschool-->college(4yr)-->medical school(4yr)-->pgy

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

12. letmeinwillya

2+ Year Member

So how does one become an attractive applicant to colleges and then to med. schools? Is there's some method to the madness? :)

Does it matter if one pursued any science related subjects in College? In other words, if my kids wanted to learn fiction writing in College, they could still qualify for med school provided they take the MCAT and whatever other CATs :) they need!

13. curbsideconsult

Medical Student
    You seem to be more interested in getting your kids into the best schools rather than making sure they end up well-rounded, curious individuals who contribute to society. They're in primary school. Let them be kids. Foster a home environment of love of learning, curiosity, and service to others. If they develop an interest in something, encourage that and don't let them give up on it just because it's too hard.

Like many posters have said above, it's way too early to start thinking about what they need in college in order to get into medical school (unless your kids are skipping multiple grades and going into their senior year of high school next year). Listen to all the good advice that's already been given. That's the best you can do.

14. letmeinwillya

2+ Year Member

I'm not saying anything to the kids :) They don't know that I'm secretly plotting their future moves..kidding!! My interest is in learning the process and give them the best chance by doing things that would not only make them a well rounded contributor to the society at large but also give them better shot at college and beyond.

As I mentioned earlier, I belong to a different era and for that matter a different country, so some of the things that are common knowledge may not be that obvious to me.

15. seaturtle98

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Getting into college doesn’t require top grades and a bunch of extracurriculars, it just requires a high school diploma or GED. There are colleges all over this country that will take students who barely passed high school, whether they are ready for college or not. Getting into a top 20 college requires excellent grades, extracurriculars, standardized test scores (ACT/SAT), etc. From there, good grades (3.0-3.5+ GPA for DO, 3.75+ for MD) and a decent MCAT score (~500-505 for DO, 507+ for MD), plus shadowing, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and research will get you into a medical school in the US. For a top 20 medical school, you’re looking at needing a higher GPA, MCAT score, more ECs, etc.

There is absolutely nothing you can do for your children at the primary school level that will help them get into medical school, except teach them how to learn and how to be good people. High school is the very earliest I would begin exploring this career path, and even then I would only say get some medical exposure through programs aimed at high schoolers, make the best grades you can, develop some interests outside of school, learn to be altruistic, and develop good time, money, and study management skills.