Want to punch father-in-law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL and HAPPY that I got accepted to Saint Louis University (SLU).

I went over to my parent's in law to tell them the good news, expecting a congratulations and maybe a celebratory dinner somewhere nice (I wanted to mooch off of them).

Anyways, the first thing my father-in-law said was, "Saint Louis isn't a very good school, from what I hear. That's too bad that it is your first acceptance. Hopefully it isn't your last because that would be a bad place to study medicine."

I just wanted to smack that idiot in the face. Would I have been justified or am I too sensitive? He really burst my bubble and got me off of cloud nine pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL and HAPPY that I got accepted to Saint Louis University (SLU).

I went over to my parent's in law to tell them the good news, expecting a congratulations and maybe a celebratory dinner somewhere nice (I wanted to mooch off of them).

Anyways, the first thing my father-in-law said was, "Saint Louis isn't a very good school, from what I hear. That's too bad that it is your first acceptance. Hopefully it isn't your last because that would be a bad place to study medicine."

I just wanted to smack that idiot in the face. Would I have been justified or am I too sensitive? He really burst my bubble and got me off of cloud nine pretty quickly.

Where did he go to medical school again? hah.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, I have a bit of a temper, so I would probably have slapped him or atleast blessed him out. I dont know why he doesnt think SLU isnt a good school?? Its one of my top ones. COngratulations on your success!!

Um definitely not too sensitive... I'd like to see him get in there. You must be a very calm person to not have punched him right then and there.

Congrats to you on SLU... I think its wonderful! :hardy:

wow.....

if the father in law were a horse, this is what i would have done to him::beat:

You should have done what Bobby Bouchee off of waterboy did to Colonel Sanders!

Remind him of this great saying: "Be nice to your kids - they'll choose your nursing home."
:laugh:

Ask him what the capital of Thailand is.

Your father in law = :beat:

:thumbdown:

Congrats, man! I am jealous

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell him bye bye free health care/referrals/notes/prescriptions for the rest of his miserable life! I have a father in law too and am sympathetic with you.;)
Congrats on your acceptance.

1. Congrats! awesome school you got into :)

2. Tell the b***h that unless he is a doctor or someone of as noble a title (rocket scientist, nobel prize winner, etc.) then he has no room to talk. It reminds me of my own father (God bless his soul) who didnt have much of a college education (4 yrs 3rd world country) and sits saying how we have it so easy here and straight As isnt too much to ask at all. :rolleyes:

I would normally say get back at him by sleeping with his wife....but that's not really a good option here.

Maybe hes just mad that for sure you were going to plug his daughter in the next few hours?

slapppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

seriously, does he realize how difficult it is to gain admission to a U.S. allopathic medical school?

i actually had a fellow interviewee at USC tell me this when I told him I had interviewed at SLU. imagine my surprise...i was caught completely off guard. i couldn't imagine going to school with guys like him, but i guess he had the last laugh, since i'm not going to school with him. anyway, the point is, there's always going to be people that try to detract from your accomplishments - just try to be polite and pay them no mind - it's what i do.

Get revenge on him by knocking up his daughter, if you haven't already.

When I first read the thread title my initial reaction was to comment saying: people want to punch lots of things, you ain't special!

But now I want to punch your father in law.

er... actually, he's right, SLU sucks. Just give up the acceptance. C'mon, please?

Tell him you realize that St Louis isn't a good school, which is why you're holding out for your acceptance from St George because it's the BEST medical school in the caribbean!

BTW, congrats on the acceptance!

drop kick his ass.

Just so people know, I forgot to mention that my father-in-law is a surgeon that went to Baylor.

It just gets annoying. He thinks he's the man. Whatever.

Tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.

Sorry for the saucy language, but it had to be said.

Just so people know, I forgot to mention that my father-in-law is a surgeon that went to Baylor.

-_-

That changes everything. Do tell him though that it isn't the old days where you just apply and get in. Less than 50% getting in definitely means SOMETHING.

LOL, yeah it's great he went to Baylor....except for in his days, all you had to do to get into medical school was be a white male who managed to pass all his classes. :rolleyes: He didn't even have to write the MCAT! I see even younger docs (35 or so) say they'd never get into medical school today with their old credentials.

-_-

That changes everything. Do tell him though that it isn't the old days where you just apply and get in. Less than 50% getting in definitely means SOMETHING.
LOL, we posted at the same time.:hardy:

If you really wanted to have some fun, you could tell him surgeons are just glorified mechanics anyway and a monkey could be trained to do his job, then finish it off with "ya ****in' wannabe wrench-turner"....sure it's not accurate at all, but it'll probably piss him off pretty bad, so the intended effect will be achieved. :D

"You're a bit mis-informed, sir. We don't have any bad medical schools here in the US. We're full up on [phrase of choice here] though..."

uh... why would you punch him? he obviously cares about you and wants you to get an acceptance from "better" medical schools. I'm sure he wants to brag about his son-in-law when he gets into a top medical school.

uh... why would you punch him? he obviously cares about you and wants you to get an acceptance from "better" medical schools. I'm sure he wants to brag about his son-in-law when he gets into a top medical school.

I'd almost guarantee this guy is the kind of guy that's going to scoff at whatever this kid does.

"Oh, you got into Harvard medical school? I've met some Harvard trained doctors and I think their medical education is highly overrated."

I'd almost guarantee this guy is the kind of guy that's going to scoff at whatever this kid does.

"Oh, you got into Harvard medical school? I've met some Harvard trained doctors and I think their medical education is highly overrated."

now that wouldn't make sense unless his father-in-law actually went to one of the top medical schools. if he says that and he didn't even graduate from high school, you can just take it as a joke and have a good laugh.

Have kids and teach them to poop on him.

Forget about him and enjoy your victory! And then go out to a really, really nice dinner, and put it on his tab. After all, if he's such a big bad doctor, he'll already have a tab at said restaurant. :D

you are awesome... its october 16 and you got into a great medical school. Your father in law is jealous because you **** his daughter.... he should be excited for you and if he's not, well then I'm really sorry that you have a misunderstanding father in law

I have been laughin' for the last two hours at all of these hilarious posts. I never realized how funny these threads can get.

I still want to punch my father-in-law, though. There have been some great suggestions on here. Keep 'em comin'!

Don't let him get to you. What does he know? I couldn't give a damn what my in-laws thought. Seems you are in a minority, giving what your in-laws say any weight. Most people can't stand them much less care what they think.

Back in the 80s when applicants were considered highly competitive with a 3.5 GPA?

That is an awful thing to say while you were still flying high from the news! You have every right to be offended.

I am getting the same type of thing with my siblings (they are all grown and have families) They either think that it's stupid to go back to school at my age or very stupid that I only applied to one (pick any of their adjectives - mediocre, sucky, worthless, joke of a) school. My wife threw me a HUGE party and we had 80 friends packed in here, but my siblings had better things to do.

Hey, at least you got in somewhere! Ignore him and just think "I'm going to be a doctor!"

You should explain to him that you would love to have easy-non selective admissions the way it was in his day, but in this day and age, you unfortunately have to compete with females, asians, indians and other minorities. Being white and able to afford tuition isnt enough anymore.

There is a reason 35 years ago harvard college had a 1280 avg sat and now its over 1500.

What a wanker! Tell him to sod off! Unlike him, you actually had to WORK to get into med school. Did they even have the MCAT in the pre-historic era? Did they have to chisel their answers into a stone tablet? You should discuss these historical mysteries with him sometime...

CONGRATS!!

[edit]quoted text removed[/edit]

WOAH! :laugh: :thumbup: