Want To Read Medicine In London And Around England? ......

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by raj2002, Sep 7, 2002.

1. raj2002

raj2002 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. miscalculated

miscalculated Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    nice one raj;)

yep, St George's is a nice little school, (got an offer from there too).

Just to add myself to the London contingent:

I'm starting Guy's, King's & St Thomas' (popularly known as GKT) School of Medicine on Sept 23rd and here's the link:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medicine

We're the biggest medical school in the UK and have the largest number of places for overseas applicants (27).

4. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Did you guys read recently about a surgeon from Royal College of Surgeons blasting St. George's fast-track and other schools? Said their knowledge was sub-par. Pretty stupid, since the whole idea of reforming medical education was to produce better clinicians, not experts in biochemistry, obscure anatomy, etc.

5. Sita

Sita Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys! May as well give Barts a plug while im here. ;)

If anyones interested...im gonna be starting at, St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry...to do medicine in less than 5 days! :clap:

Anyways its part of one the oldest hospitals in England, very friendly and diverse. It is also part of the world famous University of London, as are the two mentioned above, plus Imperial and UCL.

Heres the webpage;

http://www.mds.qmw.ac.uk/

If anyone want further information, post here or send me a PM..im happy to help. :)

Pill counter, i think you're talking about this article right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2247912.stm

If you're interested there is a whole discussion on this on the forum that Raj mentioned.

6. raj2002

raj2002 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah it was pretty stupid and very arrogant too, considering he hasn't sat the GEP course.
    But I guess everyone knows nowadays that doctors aren't smart- they just have to believe they are.:rolleyes:

Well done Miscalc and Sits. Nothing wrong with a bit of doody competition I guess.
    SITA and MISCALC ? How many guests can you sign into your freshers events?
    We are bored down here in Tooting, see.:oops: :oops: :oops:

7. Josh Deb Barman

Josh Deb Barman Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm at GKT too, but in the 4th year...what I would say about the amount of knowledge required is that you may not think you need all the stuff you learn in pre-clin for clinical practice, but you may well do...the whole point is that you will be like stem cells, able to differentiate into any speciality you wish...for that you need a base in everything. Granted, there are some bits which seem more OTT, but my experience of clinical medicine is that I am now wishing we had been taught more in the first two years because we are often do fall short in knowledge that is core to being a doctor and have to catch up again.

At GKT, the curriculum has lost Pathology and Pharmacology as distinct subjects (instead, they are sort of slotted in as and when needed) in the year I joined, and I can now see the definite negative effects of that now.

As for learning clinical medicine in the first years of the course, I don't know that this will be as successful as the traditional way...a lot of conditions are multi-system and are best tackled once you have studied the physiology and pathology of those systems...just concentrating on one system and learning its anatomy, physiology, pathology, treatments, history, examination etc strikes me as being a bit odd.

This is what makes me a little uneasy at the way the fast track systems (e.g. the George's one) are heading.

8. LoveMachine

LoveMachine New Member

Hey...thought I'd add some UCL flavor here also. ;) I'm a final year medical student...just passed my written finals!!!!!!! AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!! How cool is that?

But about the fast-track graduate courses. Personally, I don't think the graduates of these courses will be sub-par or anything. I mean, having gone through two full clinical years, passing the written finals, and going through numerous OSCEs and vivas, I really do feel that medicine is so do-able in 4 years. I mean, the pre-clinical curriculum can be easily squished into 1.5 years, and one can easily knock off one year from the clinicals. Like here at UCL, our first clinical year was spent just doing medicine and surgery all year round...which frankly became boring towards the end and you get muddled up as to what you're supposed to really pick up...especially because we get senior attachments in medicine and surgery again in our final year! Anyways...just my two cents.