Want to start an MCAT Prep Organization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcd

.2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I am very interested in making an MCAT prep program completely FREE to its users. MCAT Prep is a major expense and one that our work can curb. If we get enough volunteers we will succeed! If you're intersted and/or have any suggestions, please post! Thanks!

The organization:

3 People in the directional board.
3-4 experts in each MCAT section (VR, PS, BS)
The general volunteer
Publisher volunteer
The website volunteer

Those in the directional board have an easy job. Mainly, they choose the current aim of the entire organization and set deadlines ( ex) 'ok, have your scripts ready for audio diffusion by 12:01am dec 10). They also assume other general responsibilites.

The MCAT section experts delagate responsibilites to their volunteers. For instance, someone may say 'I want to volunteer today,' and then work with the MCAT section that they want to participate in, where the MCAT section will assign something to explain, perhaps Graham's law. Or it could be more organized, it's really up to the MCAT section experts. They submt their completed work in at least a somewhat organized form to the directional board, which skims through it making sure everything's there, etc. Then it goes to the publisher volunteers.

Publishers are temporary positions and organize what they receive into a presentable form. They may add graphics or whatever.

Website volunteers are important because the website will be where much of our contact takes place. New volunteers will visit the website and determine where they fit. MCAT section experts will review material submitted by its volunteers. Eveyone will go there to see the calendar and its deadlines. And, though not paramount at this point, general users will download our material from the site.

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm...sounds intriguing but it's too long for me to read now; ask me AFTER i'm done with my own studying and have more time

Medikit said:
I'd rather trick my friends into getting on mailing lists so that I can get a free ipod.

:D no trick... i'll add to the sig to use a spam email... but i thought the other link (the explanation) would clear things up...

Psycho Doctor said:
hmmm...sounds intriguing but it's too long for me to read now; ask me AFTER i'm done with my own studying and have more time

k!

Members don't see this ad :)
let me tell you that this is much easier said than done. i did the same thing at UCLA (bruinmap.org) and am having some success with it, but it is hard work. hopefully, by the end of the summer, i'll have a "freeware" MCAT written so people will have one more diag at no cost to them. good luck with your project, but i have a feeling you're going to run into quite a few people who would love to be "directors" and not many who will actually work.

so long as this isnt a resume-padding scam (your sig doesnt really help your credability much, sorry), good luck,
R_C_

Well, if one is doing this just to pad resume that would be pretty insincere, wouldn't you think? It would be like going to Africa to snap a few pictures of yourself feeding a starving infant and then catching the next flight out of there.

Regardless of OP intentions, I could see this evolving into a top-heavy organization with 6 vice-presidents, 5 chairmen and 7 project managers, all these positions diligently recorded in the med school applications. And before anything actually gets done, everyone leaves for med school, handling reins to the next generation, when the cycle restart. :laugh: :laugh:

thanks for you comments :).

R_C_Hutchinson - I will be looking forward to buinmap's success and hopefully a mutually beneficial partnership in the future

ethanolabsolute - I agree, and I'm counting on that being a driving factor in mounting volunteers. As far as I can see, one of the advantageous of volunteer-work in a work-at-home organization is that you can work at 12:00am on Christmas day if it so suits you. And, I envision this organization being flexible enough where volunteers can work as much as they want, be it 1 hour/week or 20. In other words, this is a volunteer oppurtunity that takes relatively little commitment and will not prevent its volunteers from their main-stream volunteer/lab/otherjob-work, etc. Simply put, this is an attractive deal to resume-padders, and resume-padders will contribute to the organization's success.

silkworm - My first goal is to amass the vice presidents, chairs, and project managers. Together, we will work to find a model that will work. I just gave a quick run-down of how I envision the organization, which is very open to suggestions. I in no way claim to have the ability to build a stream-lined organization without help. As I wrote about to ethanolabsolute, I envision an organization where resume-padders are a contributing factor to the project.