Wanted: Audio Osmosis CDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Want cash for the summer? I'm looking for Examkrackers Audio Osmosis. PM me with your asking price. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, please delete this thread if you want to continue using SDN :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is complete and utter bullsh#t. I freaking hate it when a company decides that they can restrict out First Amendment rights because they are worried about their profit margins. Have some courage, SDN! I don't want to see this site shut down - but if we run away with our tails between our legs every time a lawyer threatens us, we are truly slaves to the dollar.

There is a name for this kind of crap: It's called "consensus at lawyerpoint". Freaking ridiculous.

Off to the Wanted & Housing forums where it will never be seen again.

(I wish I had that power.)

look, it's about copyright infringement - when someone offers to make illegal copies of someone else's copyrighted material, the author has the law on their side. It's NOT about people giving their opinions of E/K - we've got the right to say that. But none of us has the right to promote ripping off someone else's work, and that was done here a few days ago, unfortunately.

I don't have insider knowledge - I just know that what I read was absolutely illegal and E/K had every right to be unhappy about it. I also presume that their lawyers have the common sense to know that you can't threaten someone on free speech issues, but you sure as he11 can sue 'em over promoting copyright violation.

So everyone needs to chill before they get all pissed off at E/K. It was a few people on SDN with poor judgment who brought on the problem.

I can blame SDN for bending for the lawsuit threat one bit. Is it worth it to take a stand? If you win, it still costs money and time, just so we have a place to post. If a certain company (who shall remain nameless) wants to sue, shut the site down. Another will spring up and this same company can focus on suing them too.

I don't understand how the bad PR they're creating is worth what they save in potential sales. If someone was discussing burning the CD, they likely weren't about to buy it. I just don't understand I guess.

You don't see Kaplan, Princeton, or Berkeley coming here crying.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MaggieD:
•Have some courage, SDN! I don't want to see this site shut down - but if we run away with our tails between our legs every time a lawyer threatens us, we are truly slaves to the dollar.
•••••I disagree. SDN barely has enough money for bandwidth costs let alone lawyer fees. I say we just lock all threads mentioning this company. I'm sure they will find that it is much more advantageous for us to mention them with a few negative comments here and there than no mention of them at all.

SDN: Do what you need to do to survive. This is such an important resource for premeds and other health students.

Everyone... CALM down!! This is a big misunderstanding. Here are the exact words from the owner of EK:

"As for the issue with the other website, let me set the record stratight: Examkrackers never threatened, implied, has the inclination, nor the power to shut down another website.

We have no intention of trying to shut down a site that brings us business. We have no power to do so, and we have never pretended to do so. We would like to have a good relationship with those who run this site. "

They just wanted the posts about illegal copying of their products deleted.

i agree, it's probably good publicity for the company. i never heard of the company except from sdn

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mamadoc:
I just know that what I read was absolutely illegal and E/K had every right to be unhappy about it. I also presume that their lawyers have the common sense to know that you can't threaten someone on free speech issues, but you sure as he11 can sue 'em over promoting copyright violation.••••They should be upset. But there are MUCH better ways of handling it than threatening a law suit. Then again, we are going off on supposition here. It was posted that a cease and desist letter was sent. It assumed that this warning carried with it a threat.

In my opinion, a polite letter calling attention to the matter, rather than an intimidating cease and desist letter, would have been a much better way to go. The company not being mentioned here is a just a little too overzealous about legal threats and accusations.

Chemistry Boy, what is wrong with you? What do you have against this company? I'm sick of having to read all your trash talk of them. Come back when you've actually tried some of their products, will ya?

Street Philosopher,

Read your quote at the end of your post. I find the irony to be magnificent.

I don't want to come off as too much of a zealot, but it's a slippery slope from "cease and desist" letters to 1984.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Lavndrrose:
•Everyone... CALM down!! This is a big misunderstanding. Here are the exact words from the owner of EK:

"As for the issue with the other website, let me set the record stratight: Examkrackers never threatened, implied, has the inclination, nor the power to shut down another website.

We have no intention of trying to shut down a site that brings us business. We have no power to do so, and we have never pretended to do so. We would like to have a good relationship with those who run this site. "

They just wanted the posts about illegal copying of their products deleted.•••••Thanks. I wonder why they didn't just email Tweetie_Bird and ask her to delete that thread. :confused:

from Jon 6/21/02
•••quote:••• George,
You might try student doctor.net for students who have used our material. You could look on this board under "MCAT Discussion: April 2002 MCAT scores" ••••

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MaggieD:
•Street Philosopher,

Read your quote at the end of your post. I find the irony to be magnificent.

I don't want to come off as too much of a zealot, but it's a slippery slope from "cease and desist" letters to 1984.•••••touche :wink:

Chemistry Boy, what is wrong with you? What do you have against this company? I'm sick of having to read all your trash talk of them. Come back when you've actually tried some of their products, will ya?••••This laughable Lav. You quote their owner (there are actually two aren't there), yet you don't cite a source. You over-react to anything I post, because I'm not jumping in line with you to worship them. I have not talked a bit of trash, I have simply questioned the authenticy of all reviews on an open forum with hidden real life identiites.

I $eriou$ly wonder why you have an i$$ue when I don't $alivate over their product$. Care to $hare why you $upport them $o ademently?

Before you refer to my replies as trash, perhaps you should read them. I am saying that they could have handled it better. I can't say I'm tired of your E/K flag-waving posts, nor will I refer to your posts as trash talk, but I'd to hear why you feel the need to take anyone (namely me) to task for not raving about them to task.

Again, let me reiterate my point from before. I find it hard to believe their products are so much better than everything else, given that I have not heard of them beyond this forum. If that's trash talk in your eyes (ears I guess), then so be it.

Yes, it's trash talk in my eyes because you've never tried their products yet you're always so quick to post when a certain thread is discussing them. Care to share your motives for being here?
<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000266" target="_blank">Chemistry Boy's Trash Talk </a> You sure must have a lot of time on your hands for doing so much research on one company...

Yup, you have it. I'm the poster girl for them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That's why I post on SDN so much you know! :rolleyes: Funny thing is that the only forum I see you in is the MCAT forum, usually promoting the company you work or used to work for. :rolleyes:

Riddle me this Lavndrrose:
You have been asked where you got this quote from E/K. You simply said "there website". Another poster said they couldn't find it on their site. You ignored this.

But somehow you have found the time to again attack me. And yes, in my tenure on this planet, I have worked for two prep companies. I have made this clear, because I do not wish to be decietful in promoting a company. At this time I am not an employee of a prep company, but I tutor privately. I am very interested in the quality of materials, because I care about the students I tutor.

As such, I spend time searching ebay and other sites to see what is available. The post you reference is exactly what it reads to be. I am questioning why the items get love from people like you, but can't draw a high price on eBay. I have every right to be cynical, but apparently you feel this is an afront against you. I doubt you'd take it so personally without some vested interest, but to date, you have not mentioned any.

So we can banter back and forth for many pages of a thread if you wish. It won't change my opinion. But I will say this. I have met one person now who used their verbal. Their opinion was that it was "okay", no better or worse than anything else they used. I have ordered the physics book, so I'll let you know when it arrives.

So now that I've done that, will you PLEASE post the url for the quote you posted earlier. I'd say it's awfully suspicious that you have avoided this request a few times now.

Professor Chem Boy, like I said, I'm their poster girl...it's not necessary to question it anymore! :rolleyes: Geez, give it up...

Anyhow, I agree, you have every right to post your opinions, but please be respectful of the wishes of the moderators and only post what you've experienced, not what you hear. And no, being cynical does not give you a right to constantly bring down a company. <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000308" target="_blank">Take this into consideration Chem Boy</a>

I feel no need to prove myself to you, but will only point out the source of the quote because oldman was asking for it. If you must know, I only posted the quote because I don't want people to think the problem is any bigger than it actually is. Unlike yourself (IMO), I happen to cherish the existence of SDN. Anyhow, do you see any of my prior posts concerning the quality of EK material? I try to keep these comments to myself unless I know for a fact that it will help others out. But if you are absolutely dying to see the source of the quote...go to the EK site--&gt; bulletin board---&gt;Study with Examkrackers books--&gt; verbal section, posted by Jon Orsay on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 02:09 pm

There you have it...you're welcome! :)

I just wanted to say that no one here really knows what's been going on between ek and sdn. So unless you do, it think it is best to stop jumping to conclusions like "they are suing sdn" and "they could've wrote a polite letter before the cease & desist order". How do you know that wasn't done beforehand? You don't. We don't. Please stop assuming. Like all big controversies, they are started up by one little misunderstanding that gets blown out of proportion. Let's go back to discussing what we're here to discuss, our future as doctors and helping others along that process.

-b

Professor Chem Boy, like I said, I'm their poster girl...it's not necessary to question it anymore! Geez, give it up...••••Besides the standard sarcastic reply, am I to assume you are not going to post anything about your experience/affiliation with a preparation company?

Anyhow, I agree, you have every right to post your opinions, but please be respectful of the wishes of the moderator(s) and only post what you've experienced, not what you hear. And no, being cynical does not give you a right to constantly bring down a company.••••Again, and I hope it registers, my opinion is that it is odd that the percentage of people I know in real life who have used a certain brand of materials is considerably less than the percentage on this website. If you call this constantly bringing down a company, then I doubt there is any way you can look at it objectively. You will note that I am not talking about another person's negative experience or referencing hearsay, I am talking about a natural, intuitive thought that every consummer should consider.

You are just taking WAY too much issue with this. Do you plan to do this with the others who posted threads about this same suspicion? It seems you have singled me out, and I very much do not appreciate this. Before this drags both of our cyber reputations any lower, please let it go. I am more than ready to.

Chem Boy: FYI, I could care less what prep company people use. Everyone is different...different companies work for different people.

Listen to your own advice and stop attacking me in your own little way. PM me if you have any further issues with me. I thought we were done when I gave you the source of the quote. I know it's hard, but try to lighten up a little. :cool:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by missbonnie:
I just wanted to say that no one here really knows what's been going on between ek and sdn. So unless you do, it think it is best to stop jumping to conclusions like "they are suing sdn" and "they could've wrote a polite letter before the cease & desist order".••••You are right MissBonnie. All we know is that a cease and desist letter was sent. But as I mentioned above, it is assumed that a cease and desist letter includes a clause stipulating possible actions should the request not be adhered to. Going strictly by what the site operator posted here, this site is in jeopardy of being shut down. It's a reasonable leap of faith that the two posts correlate.

That said, who were you quoting when you wrote, "they could've wrote a polite letter before the cease & desist order"? You have quotation marks, so I assume it is an exact quote from someone.

You make a good point that perhaps a nicer letter preceded the cease and desist letter, which is fully possible. In the time from when that thread started until its locking, multiple cyber letters could have been sent. I made what might be an invalid assumption that the cease and desist letter came first. Please accept my apology and acknowledgement.

I'm looking for your honest opinion Bonnie. I am clearly not the only person posting these ideas and I don't believe my posts are the most antogonistic. Why have I become the lightning rod on this subject for you and lav? Is my suspicious nature so bad that I have offended you? If so, I am sincerely sorry. Perhaps my silence on all things might be good. But isn't a website designed in theory for the exchange of opposing, and sometimes controversial opinions?

I know it's hard, but try to lighten up a little. ••••Excuse me Pot, I think I missed something.

Your Pal,
the black Kettle

sorry i made an assumption. you are correct in that i do not know what has actually occured. i am erring on the side of making sure legal action does not occur because I want my precious SDN to last a long time.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by missbonnie:
•I just wanted to say that no one here really knows what's been going on between ek and sdn. So unless you do, it think it is best to stop jumping to conclusions like "they are suing sdn" and "they could've wrote a polite letter before the cease & desist order". How do you know that wasn't done beforehand? You don't. We don't. Please stop assuming. Like all big controversies, they are started up by one little misunderstanding that gets blown out of proportion. Let's go back to discussing what we're here to discuss, our future as doctors and helping others along that process.

-b•••••

•But if you are absolutely dying to see the source of the quote...go to the EK site--&gt; bulletin board---&gt;Study with Examkrackers books--&gt; verbal section, posted by Jon Orsay on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 02:09 pm

There you have it...you're welcome! :) •••••thanks for posting it. that was buried deep in there!

that posts refers to a previous post. do you know where that one is???