Wanting to go into Psych straight into PGY-2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current intern. Program does mostly medicine. We don't even do peds or emergency medicine. Literally only wards, neuro, and ICU. Just wondering, is it possible to transfer straight to a PGY-2 year for psych? And what are my chances of getting a open spot anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

to my knowledge, I've never heard of someone coming from an outside specialty straight into psych pgy2, most cases there seems to be a few make-up additional rotations that need to be done that adds a bit of length to the overall residency

I'm not sure what about a psych intern year is different from other intern years, but that seems to be the case

ER medicine and Peds isn't needed to be a PGY-II in psych. You need 4 months of medicine and wards are fine, and two months of neuro. Your PGY-II, III, and IV will need to catch up on some 6 months of inpatient psych and ER psych etc. This will come out of some elective time, but it is possible. PGY-II spots aren't that common unless you are geographically flexible or lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
New Mexico is one program that takes PGYIIs. I believe WashU is another but I'll defer to another poster on that.

It's not a problem, you'll have to make up some Neuro (possibly by sacrificing electives).
Start looking for PGY-2 positions now, reach out to any program directors nearby and ask them for advice and if they expect any openings next year. If you have a posiion already for next year in medicine or whatever, you will need to decide when to let them know about your plans.

Several programs have designated pgy2 spots- UW Seattle and Cornell come to mind, that allow people to switch directly. I know people who have come from OB, Family, Peds, anesthesia and such who have made the switch and all were able to start at psych Pgy2. These spots are outside the match so you have to contact programs directly. Residents end up making up neuro I believe but as posted above the requirements for "primary care" can be most clinical things. The only person I heard of having to redo I intern year for psych came from pathology.

thanks for everyone correcting me

I know someone who did a categorical intern year in IM and switched to psych, they went through ERAS, started as PGY1, and only had 3 months credited, IIRC

must be program dependent

as it stands I personally know a few people who have switched specialties, it's quite doable and most I know got some credit for past rotations even if starting out as a PGY1 again before quickly transitioning to PGY2

Luckily my current residency is neurology so we do a few months in the first year. So I don't think I will need neuro. I will start looking for open spots.

Negotiating for "credit" going into a PGY-I spot is very different than going into a PGY-II spot. Programs have some obligation to staff medicine and neurology with their PGY-I residents where as PGY-II starters only belong to psychiatry. As a PGY-I candidate, you can ask to get out of some rotations, but you are competing with a few hundred people who are not asking to get out of some rotations. You can try and test programs to see how much they truly love you, but it is easy to fall in love with someone else in this game. The summary is that it is better to get a PGY-II spot if you can, but it isn't as likely as getting a PGY-I spot and starting over. You may have to really start over how ever.

Negotiating for "credit" going into a PGY-I spot is very different than going into a PGY-II spot. Programs have some obligation to staff medicine and neurology with their PGY-I residents where as PGY-II starters only belong to psychiatry. As a PGY-I candidate, you can ask to get out of some rotations, but you are competing with a few hundred people who are not asking to get out of some rotations. You can try and test programs to see how much they truly love you, but it is easy to fall in love with someone else in this game. The summary is that it is better to get a PGY-II spot if you can, but it isn't as likely as getting a PGY-I spot and starting over. You may have to really start over how ever.
I doubt I'll start over. I know psych programs that don't even have any psych their first year. Im doing a ton of medicine and neuro rotations. If a program says I will have to start over, I would rather just stay with my residency then. In any note, I will definitely make sure, I will not have to do PGY-1 again if I do switch.

Can you give an example or 2? I hadn't heard of any before.
Probably DO programs that are set up to have a bunch of surgery, ER, peds, OB and other nonsense for the 'traditional rotating internship.'

I think I remember something about "2 months of neurology, one of which must be in the first year." I don't recall anything mandating psychiatry in the first year, but that would be a lot of time not covering psych requirements and such a program would be mathematically unable to allow for fast tracking.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I remember something about "2 months of neurology, one of which must be in the first year." I don't recall anything mandating psychiatry in the first year, but that would be a lot of time not covering psych requirements and such a program would be mathematically unable to allow for fast tracking.
This is not true, as I quite a few people who did a full intern year or other residency and then started psychiatry as a PGY-2 and fasttracked after PGY-3. since you can double count some of the child psych residency requirements to general residency (e.g. addictions, neurology, child etc.) and the requirements aren't too onerous anyway. also many child programs include peds neuro, which counts for 1 month of neurology.

Yes, you can easily transfer into a 2nd year psych spot. Many psych programs actually prefer a non psych intern to transfer. We had that happen in our program, and many advertised pgy-2 openings for psych explicitly state they are open to fam and internal med transfers, and likely any internship for that matter.

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate everyone's input. I hope people realize by reading this thread that there a lot of misconceptions about transferring as a PGY-2 and I hope others don't get discouraged from other people's advice out there. Good luck.

i think the chances depend on the year and if spots open for any particular reason...at my program there we have had both internal and external transfers...won't hurt to email and ask any that you are interested in

I was able to get a pgy 2 psych spot and its close enough for commuting to home so it worked out. Also, I won't have to do neurology since pgy-1 rotations were counted. So everything turned out how I wanted. Loving psych right now. So much easier than pgy-1

Reactions: 1 user
I was able to get a pgy 2 psych spot and its close enough for commuting to home so it worked out. Also, I won't have to do neurology since pgy-1 rotations were counted. So everything turned out how I wanted. Loving psych right now. So much easier than pgy-1

And it keeps getting better each year. I'm one year out of fellowship and man, quality of life is much improved like night and day. For those still in training, there's a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel and it's big and bright for Psych. So hang in there.

I'm thrilled to be in Psychiatry.

Reactions: 1 users
And it keeps getting better each year. I'm one year out of fellowship and man, quality of life is much improved like night and day. For those still in training, there's a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel and it's big and bright for Psych. So hang in there.

I can only imagine. Good luck man. I swear doing psych is like having a regular job but the people you help are way more interesting. Also

And its pretty nice too. I know the hospital I work at and the surround hospitals are paying psychiatrists 200-250 hr. And they are still having staff issues so many are hiring locums. I swear doing psych is the way to go in this day in age.