Wanting to know of hardships of non-trad med student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love medicine and the idea of teaching it as well, but I hope someday to do the family thing. I'm 31, soon to be 32. I might be accepted by the time I'm 34, get out of med school at 38, then finish residency at 42 or 43. For those with families, do you regret the decision to have gone through medical school around those ages? How has the financial strain been? What other obstacles have you overcome and how did you go about it? I worry a little about being a 43 year old man with 300+k of debt to my name, not being able to provide well for a family or even have a home likes many other people who are a bit more settled in life at that age range. I guess I just have fears, normal i suppose, and want some feedback to be better prepared. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a whole forum dedicated to this

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

But I can tell you now that there are plenty of people older than you who have gone through this process and don't regret it at all. I'm only 27 so only a few years a non-read so I'll leave specifics to them but definitely go to the non-trad forum

Please don't post the same thread in multiple forums. Thread closed; anyone wishing to contribute may see the thread in non-traditional students.

Status
Not open for further replies.