Wanting to seek mental health under a different name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkyj731

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to see a psychotherapist as I am feeling a little overwhelmed by some of the stresses of residency and I want an outlet. I would be seeing a Psychiatrist MD but I am afraid that the Psychiatrist may document his recommendations in a licensing database and my program may find out. I already take medication for depression that is prescribed by my PCP but want to explore alternative options.

I'm just fearful that seeing a Psychiatrist under my regular name and disclosing to the Psychiatrist that I am a Physician in a Residency program may alert some central database.

Oh and it's not like I'm going to be using a completely different alias, I'm just planning on using my Family name and my maiden name (which could still potentially identify me but not as likely as if I were seeking care with my real name).

Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no central database. There is no reporting, unless you disclose that you are homicidal or something similar.

You can increase your privacy by obtaining care somewhere other than where you work.

You can also increase your privacy by paying cash and not using your medical insurance.

But if you pay cash, you can basically use any name you want.

Reactions: 3 users
I am afraid that the Psychiatrist may document his recommendations in a licensing database ...
I'm just fearful that seeing a Psychiatrist under my regular name and disclosing to the Psychiatrist that I am a Physician in a Residency program may alert some central database.
It's fine to have concerns, but these are not realistic/reasonable ones.

Reactions: 2 users
As a psychiatrist, I have treated fellow medical professionals on occasion. I never reported any of them to anyone. Most psychiatrists take confidentiality very seriously and will only break it if they truly think that you may pose a danger to yourself or others. I would encourage you to talk to the doctor about their policy on confidentiality and what kind of circumstances would cause them to break it.