Medical Wanting to study medicine but my gpa is low - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non traditional student just completed my bachelors degree. I majored in biology, and minored in pre-professional health and chemistry cGPA 2.4 and sGPA 3.33. Single parent , up until this past year I was a full time student and I worked 80+ hours a week. I work as an CNA in a nursing home . I also do specimen processing in the lab at a well known hospital. It was difficult to find a balance working , parenting and being a student . I no longer have to work such extensive hours . I was wondering how I should proceed moving forward and what I would need to score on the MCAT to be considered. I’ve taken a few upper level courses such as histology , spectral interpretation , immunology and endocrinology. I have all of my pre reqs done except Biochem.
You have a lot of GPA repair to do before thinking about the MCAT. Right now your stats are lethal for med school.

You're going to have to find the right balance of work vs classes.

read this:

Members don't see this ad.

Before taking the MCAT, I would strongly consider a post-baccalaureate program. Two years of excellent performance in a post-baccalaureate program, even an a la carte one with undergraduate classes, would help boost your GPA and will be seen as a huge improvement. After that, I would suggest taking the MCAT. Right now, your cGPA is lethal for medical school application, so improving that needs to be your first priority.

GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR GPA REPAIR.

Don't even THINK about taking the MCAT at this point. You need a list of courses with great grades to prove to ADCOMs that you have changed and can succeed in your courses. When you get to a point where your last 2 years of courses have a GPA over 3.7, THEN you can think about taking the MCAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.