WARNING -- Detroit Mercy is TERRIBLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UDM H8tr

Anyone considering going to UDMSD, consider this your warning ... It is NOT a good school. You will not enjoy your educational experience.

I have read many comments in the forums from people suggesting that UDMSD is a very strong clinical program. I heard that myself as I headed into dental school there. Having been through the program i am still left wondering how that can possibly be. IMO, it is no stronger a clinical program than any other school. I ask you, what makes it a strong clinical program? Please offer some examples. UDMSD's requirements are the same or LESS than most other schools. Detroit has terrible medicaid coverage ... that means it is difficult to fulfill your requirements. So what makes it a better program. The teaching is terrible at the school. Students end up having to learn everything on their own because the teaching is so bad!

The educational experience is terrible. You may not enjoy dental school elsewhere but you are sure to hate your experience at UDMSD. I am not alone in this opinion. Most students, if they are honest with you, will admit that they share the same feelings.

Your experience on a tour or interview at the school should not be indicative of the educational experience. Again, consider this your warning.

The facilities ARE better than the old clinic. But it is still the same crappy school. Nothing has really changed. The new clinic is less crowded, has higher ceilings, and all around feels more open. But it's the same crappy school, same crappy policies, same crappy equipment. Don't be fooled.

They could care less about the students. You are a tool in their hands and you will do whatever they want. They are the epitome of rigidity! So many of the policies have little to no regard for the students.

UDMSD is mind numbing, boring, irritating, etc. I don't see why anyone would want to go to the school. I also don't see why they have such a good reputation for being a good clinical school. Sure you graduate with many clinical skills. But that is the same for any dental school. There is a standard that a student must meet in order to graduate from ANY dental school. UDMSD is no different. I can tell you that you will graduate with no more skills from UDMSD than from any other school!! Again, don't be fooled!

The school is disorganized, unprofessional, and simply a terrible program from a student's perspective. I strongly advise you to chose elsewhere!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the curriculum in most dental school is overwhelming, so you basically you had to study by yourself. The professors are not going to hold your hands and walk you through the courses. Any grad school is suppose to be extremely difficult, that's why you get paid big buck after graduation. I read other stories about how students were dissastified with the curriculum, and the school as a whole. You need to suck it up, and get by the remainder of the school years you have left. Dental school admission competition is so fierce right now that countless people would trade in anything to be in your place right now. Your feeling is well heard, but if that's the situation, just try your best until graduation day. I hope you the best.

You could throw many a school into your generalized critique. The classroom stinks because they're teaching to the boards. The clinic is a difficult thing for d-schools to operate because they need to (a)make $$$$ (b)not hemorrhage $$$$ like no other (c) provide service to underserved (d)teach a bunch of rookies how to be competent. Sorry to tell you but you basically described why dental school sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.