Was anyone every told this lie about Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was little, I was told (I forgot by who) that if I went to a college that was affiliated with a medical school, that I wouldn't have to apply to said medical school if I maintained a high GPA. I held on to this belief for a long time, until my sophomore year in high school when I began to research the path to becoming a doctor, and I found this to be absolutely ludicrous.

Was anyone ever told this growing up?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was little, I was told (I forgot by who) that if I went to a college that was affiliated with a medical school, that I wouldn't have to apply to said medical school if I maintained a high GPA. I held on to this belief for a long time, until my sophomore year in high school when I began to research the path to becoming a doctor, and I found this to be absolutely ludicrous.

Was anyone ever told this growing up?

Well many schools have early assurance programs, and it probably was just misinformation from that.

These programs are a lot more difficult than what you heard (much more than just a certain GPA and are crazy competitive) but the lie you heard didn't just come out of no where.

No, because I didn't even know how to apply to med school till 5 months ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are schools with programs like this - try looking a little harder. I found USC, UConn, New Mexico. I'm sure there are others.

You ought to lighten up a bit, little kids get told a lot of things. Are you bitter there is no Easter Bunny?

op doesnt sound that bitter to me, sounds like hes just sharing a story...

There are schools with programs like this - try looking a little harder. I found USC, UConn, New Mexico. I'm sure there are others.

uhh, no you didn't. you found BA/MD programs, which as Barcu just told us, are committed tracks that one applies to from high school, and are usually contingent on both GPA and MCAT minimums (not to mention astronomical SAT scores). These programs are indeed extremely competitive and nothing like what OP appears to be describing, which i took to mean just a "show up and get a 4.0-bang!-accepted to your alma mater" system. s/he was under the impression that s/he wouldn't even have to apply.

OP, my heart goes out to you if this information in any way informed your choice of undergrad. hopefully you can still make the best of it.

Yes, there are programs that will admit you right out of HS to undergrad & med school all-in-one. There is a minimum gpa to remain in the program. An AMCAS application is required in the year before heading to the med school but is just a formality (so that AMCAS can keep track of you for statistical purposes). Some schools require MCAT but some do not.

uhh, no you didn't. you found BA/MD programs, which as Barcu just told us, are committed tracks that one applies to from high school, and are usually contingent on both GPA and MCAT minimums (not to mention astronomical SAT scores). These programs are indeed extremely competitive and nothing like what OP appears to be describing, which i took to mean just a "show up and get a 4.0-bang!-accepted to your alma mater" system. s/he was under the impression that s/he wouldn't even have to apply.

OP, my heart goes out to you if this information in any way informed your choice of undergrad. hopefully you can still make the best of it.

Well there are some programs at some colleges, not just BA/MD. At my school, you could apply Sophomore year of undergrad for the early assurance. You would automatically get into the med school if you met certain gpa and MCAT requirements. However, there were very few spots, and it was really competitive. It wasn't just maintaining a certain gpa, but it was only open to students at my school. So, some schools do have these types of connections with the med schools.

Well there are some programs at some colleges, not just BA/MD. At my school, you could apply Sophomore year of undergrad for the early assurance. You would automatically get into the med school if you met certain gpa and MCAT requirements. However, there were very few spots, and it was really competitive. It wasn't just maintaining a certain gpa, but it was only open to students at my school. So, some schools do have these types of connections with the med schools.

Tufts? yeah, but as you say, there's always more to it than GPA.

the programs in Musclemass's post are all BA/MD

Not at all, I'm a Biochem major..