was anyone married while in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balmytigeress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was curious how many people have gone through vet school while they were married. And how they managed it.

I imagine it can be done (I'm guessing that it's not always easy though), but what factors go into that? What does a normal husband do about his wife "always" studying? :scared:

BT

Members don't see this ad.

I would estimate that 1/3 of my class is married (male and female.) Another 1/3 have live in partners.

We all manage it in different ways.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by a 'normal spouse' doing when their spouse is studying? What would they do if their spouse wasn't studying?

So, if a husband comes home and watches TV, he will probably come home and watch TV. If you have conversations over dinner, you will probably still have those many nights. If he travels for business, he will travel for business. If she works out at the gym...she will work out at the gym.

Everyone adjusts differently. My husband and I live apart. Some of my classmates husbands do some more chores than before. Some are sore sports about not being the center of attention or about not getting enough time. However, that is all dependent on you, your partner and your relationship.

So, think about what you would normally do with a partner after working hours, then think about how those specific things will be affected. Thta will give you a better assessment. For my husband, we both worked long hours professionally. Not much ofa change, except we maintain two households.

Im married and I have 3 kids so my husband is either working (to maintain a once 2 income family) or taking care of the kids while Im at school or studying. Its hard on him but he knows it will be worth it in the end. At our school we have a social club for spouses/ sig others to network so if your moving to an area where he doesnt have established friends or is working, they can help with the isolation that some spouses feel. If they dont need to work this is an awesome time to volunteer too at hospitals, community outreach whatever his/her interest lie.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm one of those people that graduated from college and didn't seriously consider becoming a veterinarian until their late 20s. I'm married now to sort of traditional guy and I'm working on the prereqs for vet school. I'm not sure how this is going to work, or if I'm going to have to give up on the idea.

Yesterday, for example, I got up, walked a neighborhood dog, went straight home to wake up the SO because he had an appointment at the rec center to set up his Fitlinx account, then we went straight to a new restaurant we've been waiting to open for business, then straight home - him to work on homework before his ESL class, me to write my animal hospital observation papers and study for the final exam of an animal class. The class was at 7, got home by 8:45, and when husband got home from his class at 10pm.....he asks if there is something to eat (translation, "Of course you made something, and I want it now."). When did I have time for cooking?

He says he supports me in my choice to go back to school. At the same time, he has the same expectations of how he gets food, who is supposed to cook. I don't think he understands what vet school entails. All I'm doing now is bio 101 and vet assistant class thru the county adult education program. I have been out of school for 5 years and I wasn't using good study techniques then, so I'm trying to learn that now. Maybe that's why I spend so much time studying. Vet school is more intense.

If I drop the idea of going to vet school, I'm definitely going to enter a vet tech program. If that is what happens, I would really like it to be a decision where my marriage was not the deciding factor.

I probably need to figure out how to prepare him for the amount of time I'll need to focus on learning, and figure out a way to show him that I am not exaggerating about the kind of effort vet school is. I'd like to hear about how other people have dealt with this situation. And if anyone knows any good websites, articles, or blogs on/strongly referring to this topic.

BT

I think there is a huge variation among schools. Here at Ohio, more and more of my class is getting engaged and married. We had like three married people in my class first year, and now we have probably 7 married people and probably 25 engaged people. And that's probably a conservative estimate.

I warn students when they apply that vet school can be stressful on relationships. Especially when the other person is not in a medical field, because as much as they try to commisserate they really can't understand what its' like to study all the time. The couples that I've observed that seem to do the best are those that are dating med students or other vet students. They really understand the pressures that you are under.

However that can also breed competition, but we have at least 6 couples in my class who are dating other vet students.

We have the Auxillary here as well, for those significant others of vet students. It's a great group but in the end, you have to decide whether your significant other can handle you being in veterinary school. I've seen a lot of couples break up because their SO didn't understand that they can't go and drink on a Friday night or party, because they have to study.

I wish them the best, but I always tell students to just be prepared, because vet school is hard on everybody, not just the students. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if my husband had those expections, we would be sitting down for a very detailed conversation about what roles each of us play and what reasonable expectations are. And my answer to 'dinner' would simply be 'you know where the PBJ stuff is.'

Actually, my husband knew my beliefs on equality and fairness before we ever married. There are days and even months where I have done the vast majority of the chores because of his career, and there are days when he does the vast majority because of mine. However, if he came home and asked for dinner, or laundry, or such and I shrugged, he would figure out something for both of us.

so the answer to that may be 'what did you agree to coming into the relationship and if you want to change that, how do you go about doing that?' To me, that is a lot of communications and flexabilities on everyone's part. Some people see no good reason to flex, and some people flex too much...but only you can determine what is best for you, and where relationships and roles and careers play into that.

Here, I think we have so many married folks because we have a really diverse class that includes a lot of non-trads. We also have a number of people who married the summer before vet school. There isn't a formal support system/groups for them, but there are friendships and commiseration among the spouses. Also, when things go awry (birth, illness, accidents) the entire class has taken to pulling together, cooking, offering rides, gifts, etc.

My husband isn't in medicine, but he does have a very demanding career of his own...and he certainly uses that experience to understand the time constraints I am under. There are still moments that are challenging (we haven't seen each other in a month because of finals and conferences.) It seems to work best when the spouses have independent interests and hobbies to occupy their time.

My husband and I share cooking, or eat out, or just have macaroni and cheese or PB&Js on the hard days. I'm trying to keep up with the whole "cook ahead and freeze" thing, and that helps. If/when vet school happens, he knows that he'll be fending for himself a lot, and he's probably awesome enough to make the food for both of us pretty often.

We also share other household chores, like laundry, cleaning, dishes, giving the animals some exercise...

As long as I pay attention to him sometimes, he'll be okay. He knows I'll be busy.

While Sumstorm and I do not share the same perspectives nor attitudes on this like many things:p, I will have to agree that it can be done with some accommodations on both parts. Such as what the previous poster mentioned about "personal bonding time". :laugh: If your SO is not willing to compromise on anything then there may well be problems developing in your future if you choose to follow your current attack plan. But then again, I should not speak. After 3 years of living 1300 miles apart while I did grad school, my wife came to her senses and decided she was better off without me. The day before I got my first acceptance, the poor fool! No seriously she is better off w/o me, and will make far more $ than I will, or did as well before my change of life decision. She simply was not willing to move in order to accommodate my wishes, nor give up the good money our former career made us.

Now, that said I would guess that almost 1/4 of my classmates are married (and almost all the cute ones), and more have long term SO/partners. Almost all of the non-trads except myself are married. They seem to be doing just fine so far. The ones that are having the problems are those with human children, much less those with even more on the way. Those poor lost souls I have much sympathy for. Human children are the ones who are not so understanding of your lack of time to spend with them in my experience, and that of talking to my fellow classmates. So if you can avoid those for the short term, I would imagine you would be OK as long as your husband is on board.

Hey listen, no one but yourself can make the very personal decision as to what is ultimately most important to you. Certainly not me nor anyone else on this forum. But remaining married and doing vet school can and is often accomplished successfully. Are you happy with a more traditional lifestyle and spousal roles? Is your husband in the end worth potentially sacrificing on some dreams for? Have you talked to him about this, and given him some time to fully realize that he as well is going to have to make some adjustments? It could well be that he really just did not think about it, or realize the implications of what he was saying -- he may well have meant no harm by his query about dinner that night. The other thing is, you are a long way off from having to face the true brunt of the vet school lifestyle, and both of you have plenty of time to adjust. Also, it is only 4 years out of your lives together, and while afterward he will also possibly have to deal with you working 50-60 hours a week, you might also be only working part-time too. Plus, the additional income might allow him to afford some better toys, which will make any little boy happier, trust me. ;) So he has to go to McDonald's every once in a while. You are worth it aren't you? And you can make it up to him in other ways. ;) You yourself might enjoy the "stress relief" almost as much.

Good luck on this very big life decision, and cheers to you for even attempting it! :clap:

While Sumstorm and I do not share the same perspectives nor attitudes on this like many things:p, I will have to agree that it can be done with some accommodations on both parts.

:D Why doesn't is suprise me that you would disagree with me about my stated belief in equality of roles in marriage?

My husband married a strong, independent woman. I have experience my share of hardships and tragedies. While that means I have really high standards for how labor is divided in our household, it also means when his life was shattered three years ago, I kept all the pieces tied together for both of us over the next two years. The year before that (our first year of marriage) I also took care of all the chores...he traveled so much for his career he was never home to help (the few days he was home he came in after 11pm and left by 8am the next day) whether that was shoveling out the cars from 4' of snow or cooking meals. Now, he gets to return the favor....he gets to do some of the extra work to keep it all working smoothly. For us, that included dealing with an $800 post tax a month pay cut, because I didn't have time to figure out where all we could cut corners, contact internet providers, cancel and reduce services, etc.

However, by focusing on what we both enjoy the most, what is most important for each of us each month/week, we can handle the stress of living apart, of visits, of family and friends swamping our together time, of drastic lifestyle and economic changes...because we share our goals and dreams and support each other in what is important to each of us.

In the long run, is it really important that I have dinner prepared and ready when he gets home? I use to all the time (I love to cook) and packed his lunches and prepared his breakfasts. But a decade from now, he won't remember whether I cooked the roasted chicken or it was picked up from the grocery.... and I bet within a month he won't remember who picked it up or served it. Now, I do other chores, ones he use to do, like cleaning the gutters at home over fall break, or changing car oil...the ones that I can fit into the chunks of time that I have available to contribute (and that he doesn't get around to because he visits up here on weekends). And when he is up here, he often cleans carpets, washes windows, and makes this home more pleasant for me. For me, that is what a relatioship is about, both partners giving thier best the majority of the time, embracing balance and exchange, prioritizing the most important things to each, and accepting and even disregarding the less important things.

Obviously, if we didn't share some core values, we wouldn't have married. He had other options, he could have found a wife who was raised in a different cultural tradition, who would have been happy without a career, but there are trade offs in that path as well. I had other options, I could have married a man who wanted every minute of my time, and did all the outside chores that I enjoy.

The people in my class with kids aren't complaining about lack of time for kids. Their children range in age from newborn (1 month) to older teenagers. OK, the newborn's dad isn't so happy about lack of sleep...but.... that would happen with or without vet school. I think all the spouses work. I do think one difference for a lot of them is that they have been in undergrad recently, so their kids didn't come into this experience without some pre-emptive experience. Also, I do think those students prioritize differently....they aren't shooting to ace classes, they don't stay around for study sessions, they study at home with thier kids, they don't participate in as many wetlabs. And thier spouses believe in their career aspirations as much as they do. One of my classmates has arranged volunteer trips with her two eldest kids, one to a pet rescue, and the other on a vet mission trip. These will give the kids a chance to contribute, share an amazing experience with their mother, and she will still get the experiences she needs. It takes creativity, flexability, balance....but it is possible, and it doesn't have to be a poorer exerience.

I'm a husband with a wife in pharmacy school right now. We began discussing it a couple years ago when she decided she was tired of what she was doing and wanted to follow her dreams. I told her that if she decided to do it, it had to be full force. I expect her to spend most of her time studying - I can find ways to entertain myself. I've always been pretty independent anyway. I do the cooking 70 to 85% of the week - we go out the rest of the time. If I get into school, that will probably change, or at least the prep time will have to decrease. The bottom line is that school is a commitment for both of you. Nothing happens in a vacuum when you're married (even buying flowers for her on a credit card, which forces a lot of planning and precision timing). This first year of school hasn't been very hard on me at least. I'm busy working 16 hour days, 8 time zones east. She's busy getting good grades and taking care of the dogs, house, cars, etc. Next year should be somewhat of a break for her.

:D Why doesn't is surprise me that you would disagree with me about my stated belief in equality of roles in marriage?

QUOTE]

Because if the two of us ever agreed on anything I think everyone else here on the list would die of shock! :laugh:

Actually, I have to agree with what you said here -- it is a partnership. Besides, I kind of like to cook, and usually did when I was married.

You have to have a very understanding spouse and you must go into it knowing it will be different. We look forward to grocery shopping together because it is the most during the week that we are together. The weirdest thing for my husband is the approximately 2 times per semester that I have my freak out break downs and get super stressed and cry. That was hard for him to get used to :D
You do have to make some sacrifices. Could I be a straight A student if I did nothing but study? Probably, but I make time for my husband and am happy with my B's (and sometimes C's!)- But it is totally worth it for me.

However, I do know of people who get divorced because of the stresses of vet school. And probably half of boyfriend/girlfriend relationships don't last (at least not in my class). On the other hand, though, about a half a dozen classmates got married this past summer!

Im married and I have 3 kids so my husband is either working (to maintain a once 2 income family) or taking care of the kids while Im at school or studying. Its hard on him but he knows it will be worth it in the end. At our school we have a social club for spouses/ sig others to network so if your moving to an area where he doesnt have established friends or is working, they can help with the isolation that some spouses feel. If they dont need to work this is an awesome time to volunteer too at hospitals, community outreach whatever his/her interest lie.

LVT2DVM!! Its been so long! Hows vet school treatin ya? It so exciting to post on the DVM forum, can you believe it was only a year ago we were on the pre-vet side with our fingers crossed? Good luck! Let us know how it's going in GA!

Concerning cooking...go to Sam's Club or the regular grocery store and pick up some of those frozen meals where all you have to do is heat them either on the stove or in the oven. Most husbands can figure them out and if they are big enough, buy lots of food containers (the glass Pyrex ones are my fav) and do your best to save what you can and re-heat the next day for lunches.

i never quite understood your fascination with reproduction . . . and then we had a directed learning session on AI and IVF in cattle, horses, and pigs last week. i must have read about 10 issues of Theriogenology. still don't think it's something i'd want to focus on, but i can at least now appreciate how complex it is and why you'd want to learn so much about it. :)

on-topic: i'm not married, but i've been with my gf for 8 years (in october), and it's certainly been odd being on the other side of the atlantic. in some ways, it makes things easier - i can stay up until 1am studying, and she doesn't even know (mostly because she's just getting home from work when i go to bed!). on the other hand, we also don't talk much . . . maybe once a week? sometimes less. it can be very stressful, and it can lead to misunderstandings. if the conversations we do have seem off in any way (e.g., if i'm stressed, or she's stressed, and we're not fully focused or involved), it can be devastating. usually leads to lots of very tentative and "flirty" emails being sent back and forth, just to make sure that we're still "ok."

we've discussed the possibility that she'll move over here after my 2nd year, which would certainly make things easier in terms of regular communication.

in the meantime, i'm just looking forward to going home in a week and spending three weeks time with her and our cats.

I am not in vet school yet, but will be starting at LSU in the fall. I am on deferment from last year. I have been married for 4 years, which is most of my undergrad time. My husband knew well before marrying me that it would be tough and that getting into vet school was my #1 priority. Granted, I don't think he really knew how tough it was going to be, but his support throughout undergrad and 2 application cycles has been amazing. We not only have that to deal with, but we are both military in seperate branches with different deployment cycles. When I start LSU, he will be deployed (while I am deployed right now) and he will then be in NC for most of my vet school. We just learn to cherish the time that we do get to spend together and know that in the end the 8 years of hell will all have been worth it. Love, trust, and understanding as well as sacrifices by both parties all go hand in hand and make our relationship work.

I've been married 4 and a half year, and school was definitely a change. I went from working part time and being home to make dinner and clean when necessary to eating Lean Cuisine, letting the dishes wait until he takes care of them, and vacuuming being a "special event". I won't lie and say it's easy but my husband is incredibly supportive and understanding (lord only knows why!) and he pulls his weight. He actually pulls my weight a lot of the time too... sure there are sacrifices but I wouldn't change it (except perhaps have already graduated)!