Was I delusional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 174670

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swore I would keep a level head through this whole process, but I'm starting to get pretty antsy, and I'm wondering whether or not it's justified. My cumulative and science GPAs are 3.49 and 3.38 respectively, at an Ivy League school that I guess is generally thought to be competitive. My MCAT was 34Q (10 V, 11 BS, 13, PS), and my ECs include the following: hospital volunteer, free clinic volunteer, research assistant in 2 labs, and a significant and longstanding leadership role at a non-profit global health organization. My secondaries were received and completed mostly in August, with some in September. I'm a PA resident, and I've heard nothing from a bunch of schools:

NYMC
Jefferson
Mt. Sinai
Temple
UVa
NYU
Columbia (this was always a total crapshoot)
Drexel
GW (hold for re-review)

I've definitely made mistakes in this process--I know that my GPA isn't spectacular, I probably applied to too many schools that were just out of reach, and I should have pushed to get all my apps done before September.

So, should I be panicking? Or should I start seriously thinking about reapplying next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That GPA is just too low.

Next cycle you need to either bring it up by at least a couple decimal points, or try DO schools

If those were the only schools you applied to, then that looks like a serious mistake. Someone with a 4.0 and a 34 would probably be ill-advised to apply to only that school list.

Edit: I disagree somewhat with the above poster. Had you applied broadly with your current numbers you might have gotten some MD love somewhere, especially in the state where you have residence.

Members don't see this ad :)
If those were the only schools you applied to, then that looks like a serious mistake. Someone with a 4.0 and a 34 would probably be ill-advised to apply to only that school list.

No they weren't the only schools I applied to, they're just the ones that I have heard nothing from. I did get an interview invite from Tufts, and though the interview went well, my stats make me pessimistic. I also have an interview at TCMC coming up. But if I do need to apply next cycle, and I pray I don't but I'm being realistic, I will definitely do a much better job of selecting which schools I apply to. When I applied, I thought a 3.5ish GPA from a tough undergrad, where science averages are around C+/B- would be good--clearly not good enough.

I do seem to be doing better this year and could probably get my cumulative up to close to 3.6 by graduation--is that still too low? Should I think about post-bacs?

If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to have reach schools. You're talking about reapplying though... I hope you applied much wider than the list you gave us.

If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to have reach schools. You're talking about reapplying though... I hope you applied much wider than the list you gave us.

That's what concerns me so much--I've been getting the sinking feeling that I made a serious misjudgment about what a reach school was for me. I honestly thought I'd have a reasonable shot at Temple, Drexel, NYMC, UVa, and Jefferson.

I did get IIs from Tufts and TCMC, the other schools I applied to straight up rejected me post-secondary, so I didn't bother listing them out.

Like I said, if I do apply again, I expect to hit up some DO schools and really do my homework better in forming my list. I spent too much time thinking about which med schools I liked and not enough time thinking about which ones I could actually get into.

Next year I would add Tulane. Their class average last year was 3.4 and an MCAT a little above 33. Virgina Tech Carllion has similar stats but they like people with a lot of research so add them if you have the experience next year.

I agree though, your GPA is on the lower side. People get into MD schools with your GPA but it is definitely dragging you down.

Next year I would add Tulane. Their class average last year was 3.4 and an MCAT a little above 33. Virgina Tech Carllion has similar stats but they like people with a lot of research so add them if you have the experience next year.

I agree though, your GPA is on the lower side. People get into MD schools with your GPA but it is definitely dragging you down.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check them out.

So any suggestions on what to do about the GPA? Would pulling it up to a 3.6 be sufficient or should I think about a postbac?

Thanks for the advice, I'll check them out.

So any suggestions on what to do about the GPA? Would pulling it up to a 3.6 be sufficient or should I think about a postbac?

You're so close to getting your GPA over the 3.5 and 3.4 thresholds. That would only take a few classes to bump you up. 3.6 would be better but may not be realistic if you want to apply next year. Work out the numbers and see exactly how much of a GPA rise you can pull off.

A 3.6 with your MCAT and a broad range of schools is plenty.

Last edited:
That GPA is just too low.

Next cycle you need to either bring it up by at least a couple decimal points, or try DO schools
I disagree with this. People have gotten in with much lower GPAs. A 3.49 from an Ivy with a 34 MCAT is fine. If the OP applies very broadly and early, I think they have a good shot at MD

It's still early. You should never panic. Always consider worst-case scenarios.

I swore I would keep a level head through this whole process, but I'm starting to get pretty antsy, and I'm wondering whether or not it's justified. My cumulative and science GPAs are 3.49 and 3.38 respectively, at an Ivy League school that I guess is generally thought to be competitive. My MCAT was 34Q (10 V, 11 BS, 13, PS), and my ECs include the following: hospital volunteer, free clinic volunteer, research assistant in 2 labs, and a significant and longstanding leadership role at a non-profit global health organization. My secondaries were received and completed mostly in August, with some in September. I'm a PA resident, and I've heard nothing from a bunch of schools:

NYMC
Jefferson
Mt. Sinai
Temple
UVa
NYU
Columbia (this was always a total crapshoot)
Drexel
GW (hold for re-review)

I've definitely made mistakes in this process--I know that my GPA isn't spectacular, I probably applied to too many schools that were just out of reach, and I should have pushed to get all my apps done before September.

So, should I be panicking? Or should I start seriously thinking about reapplying next cycle?

I disagree with this. People have gotten in with much lower GPAs. A 3.49 from an Ivy with a 34 MCAT is fine. If the OP applies very broadly and early, I think they have a good shot at MD

While I largely agree with you, I think it's not the ~3.5 cGPA that's the problem, but the lower sGPA that's killing OP.

OP, I'd say if you don't get in this year work as hard as possible to bring up your BCPM grades and then apply again, albeit more broadly. Seems like you're plenty qualified and stand a good chance of getting an eventual MD acceptance.