Was I right in not disclosing this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostmisdemeanor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been accepted, just got the email for the Certiphi check. Up till now, I've stated No to all the questions asking if I had pled guilty, not guilty, no contest to a misdemeanor, etc. etc. and felt pretty comfortable about saying no. I'm decently sure that this isn't going to be a problem, but it's that pre-med neurosis that's making me doubt myself.

Basically, a few years ago I was pulled over for driving on a suspended license. I'd gotten a speeding ticket a few months prior, and I'm not entirely sure why, but I must have underpaid it. I sent the money in by mail but perhaps they got it late and the ticket was given a late fee, which went unpaid. I thought it was all taken care of, long story short my license is suspended and I get pulled over. Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor charge in FL, where I live.

I went to court and pleaded no contest. The very generous judge reduced the charge to a violation of driving without a license on my person, so I just had to pay a small fine. According to the AMCAS manual, I have to disclose if I was convicted of, pleaded guilty or no contest to a misdemeanor, excluding convictions as a juvenile, those expunged by courts, or convictions where probation was completed and the case dismissed.

I did plead no contest, but I was not ultimately convicted of anything except a minor traffic violation. So, was I right in not disclosing this? Am I just ****ting bricks for no reason? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Been accepted, just got the email for the Certiphi check. Up till now, I've stated No to all the questions asking if I had pled guilty, not guilty, no contest to a misdemeanor, etc. etc. and felt pretty comfortable about saying no. I'm decently sure that this isn't going to be a problem, but it's that pre-med neurosis that's making me doubt myself.

Basically, a few years ago I was pulled over for driving on a suspended license. I'd gotten a speeding ticket a few months prior, and I'm not entirely sure why, but I must have underpaid it. I sent the money in by mail but perhaps they got it late and the ticket was given a late fee, which went unpaid. I thought it was all taken care of, long story short my license is suspended and I get pulled over. Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor charge in FL, where I live.

I went to court and pleaded no contest. The very generous judge reduced the charge to a violation of driving without a license on my person, so I just had to pay a small fine. According to the AMCAS manual, I have to disclose if I was convicted of, pleaded guilty or no contest to a misdemeanor, excluding convictions as a juvenile, those expunged by courts, or convictions where probation was completed and the case dismissed.

I did plead no contest, but I was not ultimately convicted of anything except a minor traffic violation. So, was I right in not disclosing this? Am I just ****ting bricks for no reason? Thanks.
You walked into a court for a misdemeanor charge and please no contest......then lied on a form that said have you ever plead no contest

I'm not sure what's so confusing. (Whether or not you get caught)

Was it or was it not a misdemeanor? If it was not, you were correct in not disclosing it on AMCAS, because they ask specifically about misdemeanors and felonies, not traffic violations. However, the Certiphi check is a different story. You may want to check with admissions at the school you're attending to see if you need to officially disclose traffic violations. They may want to know about everything so that they don't find out from somebody else; even if it's not a serious offense, you don't want them to be blindsided.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding (and you should ask a lawyer, because your question is a technical one), you pleaded no contest, but were not convicted of a misdemeanor. Instead, you were found guilty of a traffic violation. IMO, you should be okay and this shouldn't come up on your Certiphi. I'm not a lawyer, but when you plead no contest to a misdemeanor charge, the judge still has to find you guilty or not guilty. In this case, it seems as though he found you not guilty of the misdemeanor, but found you guilty of a lesser charge (driving without a license on your person).

Last edited:
Were you a juvenile? Was it expunged by the courts? Did you complete probation and was the case dismissed by the court?

The answer to all those seem to be no, so the answer to your question is also no. It's a rather stupid thing NOT to disclose, it's at most 1-2 sentences in a secondary or interview to explain it away.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the state you live in. You may not have had to disclose it per the AMCAS instruction manual.

Were you a juvenile? Was it expunged by the courts? Did you complete probation and was the case dismissed by the court?

The answer to all those seem to be no, so the answer to your question is also no. It's a rather stupid thing NOT to disclose, it's at most 1-2 sentences in a secondary or interview to explain it away.
If it's not a misdemeanor or a felony, you don't disclose it on AMCAS.

At this point, what's done is done. Sounds like there's at least a chance it won't show up. I would go ahead and complete Certiphi. If it does come up, I would immediately contact the school before releasing the report to them! (Keep in mind, the report will be automatically released after 10 days.) I would explain the situation and tell them that you misunderstood the wording on AMCAS since, although you plead no contest, you were ultimately given a lesser charge than a misdemeanor. Apologize for the misunderstanding and hope they won't see it as a big deal. (I assume they won't.)

No use in freaking out now, though. Wait to freak out until you see your Certiphi results. ;)

When completing certiphi, the misdemeanor and the felony part said:

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Felony/Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, or 2) convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court (in states where applicable)?:

You need NOT disclose any instance where you:
  • were arrested but not charged;
  • were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped;
  • were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury;
  • were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, but the conviction was overturned on appeal; or
  • received an executive pardon

Yours falls somewhere in the vague line of "were arrested, charged, but charges were dropped". Technically speaking (now I'm no lawyer so take it's my 0.02), your charges were dropped to a violation so you would in fact fall in the second category. But this might not be a correct interpretation at all haha.

Reactions: 1 users
From my understanding (and you should ask a lawyer, because your question is a technical one), you pleaded no contest, but were not convicted of a misdemeanor. Instead, you were found guilty of a traffic violation. IMO, you should be okay and this shouldn't come up on your Certiphi. I'm not a lawyer, but when you plead no contest to a misdemeanor charge, the judge still has to find you guilty or not guilty. In this case, it seems as though he found you not guilty of the misdemeanor, but found you guilty of a lesser charge (driving without a license on your person).

I agree with this. You could also run your own Certiphi depending on the deadline and see if it comes up. Not sure what the turnaround time/cost is though. If something does come up, you could get ahead of it by explaining the confusion to your dean of students/admissions.

I've decided to let the dean of admissions where I've been accepted know about it. I'll update this thread with their response.

I also have a few other interview coming up pretty soon. Should I notify these schools before the interview or after they've made a decision to waitlist/accept?

I agree with this. You could also run your own Certiphi depending on the deadline and see if it comes up. Not sure what the turnaround time/cost is though. If something does come up, you could get ahead of it by explaining the confusion to your dean of students/admissions.
Certiphi does not necessarily offer the same check
I've decided to let the dean of admissions where I've been accepted know about it. I'll update this thread with their response.

I also have a few other interview coming up pretty soon. Should I notify these schools before the interview or after they've made a decision to waitlist/accept?
Were you convicted of a misdemeanor, or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Certiphi does not necessarily offer the same check

Certiphi does offer the same exact check, for personal viewing.

FYI, turn around is 3-5 business days, costs $60

No, I was not.
Then you have done nothing wrong. I think it's a smart move to contact admissions at the school you're planning to attend regarding this, because they can tell you if you even need to disclose this officially. You only need to tell other schools if their secondaries ask you about "other offenses" besides misdemeanors and felonies. Otherwise, don't mention it because you were not asked about anything less serious than a misdemeanor conviction.

You walked into a court for a misdemeanor charge and please no contest......then lied on a form that said have you ever plead no contest

I'm not sure what's so confusing. (Whether or not you get caught)

read carefully. convicted of a misdemeanor is not the same thing as walking into court for a misdemeanor. OP wasn't charged with a misdemeanor based on what he said. If it is true that "driving without a license on person" is simply a violation and not a misdemeanor, I think you're in the clear. especially considering..

"excluding convictions as a juvenile, those expunged by courts, or convictions where probation was completed and the case dismissed."

No contest means you are not charged and will ultimately have the charged dismissed in the event you successfully complete what is asked of you. you should be okay.

read carefully. convicted of a misdemeanor is not the same thing as walking into court for a misdemeanor. OP wasn't charged with a misdemeanor based on what he said. If it is true that "driving without a license on person" is simply a violation and not a misdemeanor, I think you're in the clear. especially considering..

"excluding convictions as a juvenile, those expunged by courts, or convictions where probation was completed and the case dismissed."

No contest means you are not charged and will ultimately have the charged dismissed in the event you successfully complete what is asked of you. you should be okay.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that you can only enter a plea after being charged for a crime. OP admitted that he was charged with a misdemeanor, and that this charge was later reduced to something that is seemingly not a misdemeanor.

You may want to check with admissions at the school you're attending to see if you need to officially disclose traffic violations.

One of the schools I applied to asked about any outstanding moving violations. I disclosed a ticket I got back in July. Certiphi didn't ask about anything of the sort, so I didn't write it.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that you can only enter a plea after being charged for a crime. OP admitted that he was charged with a misdemeanor, and that this charge was later reduced to something that is seemingly not a misdemeanor.

Either way, when you enter a plea of no contest you aren't convicted of said charge as long as you successfully complete the terms Its dismissed. It may come up as dismissed on your record. If you had it expunged it wouldn't be an issue for non federal background checks. If it comes up just explain to the school.

What's the link? Their website is confusing as heck :(

It's worth a shot, but Certiphi told me the one for personal use is not the same as the one my school ordered.
One of the schools I applied to asked about any outstanding moving violations. I disclosed a ticket I got back in July. Certiphi didn't ask about anything of the sort, so I didn't write it.
It seems to vary by school as well as by state. I called Certiphi directly to ask about a (very old) traffic offense because my school asks about "other offenses" in addition to more serious ones. Certiphi said that the background check they do for "personal use" only covers the county of your residence, whereas the school asks for a state police background check. So in my case, Certiphi definitely did not offer the same background check for personal use, although you can see the results of the one the school runs after you consent to it. Since I work in healthcare and all hospitals do that check, I knew I would be okay, but I contacted the school anyway to make sure they knew I was not hiding anything.

There are "traffic" violations and "criminal" violations. Most states distinguish pretty clearly between the two. See which yours was, then disclose now in an abundance of caution.

What are the rules if a misdemeanor has been expunged? Can I legally say that I've never been convicted or plead guilty to one? The question on the app is rather straight forward and it seems as though I have to answer yes either way. I don't know if i should even bother getting it expunged.

What is exactly meant by outstanding? Just that you haven't paid the fine yet, or that its associated with a charge?

Last edited:
What are the rules if a misdemeanor has been expunged? Can I legally say that I've never been convicted or plead guilty to one? The question on the app is rather straight forward and it seems as though I have to answer yes either way. I don't know if i should even bother getting it expunged.

If it's expunged, you don't have to ever disclose it again.

If it's expunged, you don't have to ever disclose it again.

Based on the recent street racing thread, my understanding is that the residency background check will be able to see absolutely everything; meaning I will have technically lied by saying I have never been arrested.

I think even if what you say is true, it seems fuzzy at best from an ethical standpoint to answer 'no'.

Based on the recent street racing thread, my understanding is that the residency background check will be able to see absolutely everything; meaning I will have technically lied by saying I have never been arrested.

I think even if what you say is true, it seems fuzzy at best from an ethical standpoint to answer 'no'.

Are you OP or are you piggybacking this thread with a similar situation?

You realize that what you report on AMCAs and what you report on secondaries is different, right? That most schools require you to disclose all arrests (not just charges) and convictions, even if those convictions were overturned, you were not charged post-arrest, or the case has been expunged? Were you arrested? That's a big thing. Did the school ask about arrests? That's another. Were you officially charged with a misdemeanor, even if those charges were lessened?

This could go bad for you, but that remains to be seen. It really depends on what your school specifically asked of you during your secondaries. Good luck.

Are you OP or are you piggybacking this thread with a similar situation?
Please don't quote

? Im just asking a similar question. I just haven't formally inquired about these matters yet because I'm not that close to applying.

I got arrested twice about 10 years ago. Once as a juvenile and the charges were dropped; once as an adult and I was charged with the misdemeanor. Once 10 years passes I can get it expunged. Thats why I was asking

Last edited:
You realize that what you report on AMCAs and what you report on secondaries is different, right? That most schools require you to disclose all arrests (not just charges) and convictions, even if those convictions were overturned, you were not charged post-arrest, or the case has been expunged? Were you arrested? That's a big thing. Did the school ask about arrests? That's another. Were you officially charged with a misdemeanor, even if those charges were lessened?

This could go bad for you, but that remains to be seen. It really depends on what your school specifically asked of you during your secondaries. Good luck.

This is true, OP. If you were arrested, have been asked if you were arrested by a school in their secondary, and failed to say so - you could be in trouble.

@ProspectiveKidd

You'll need to report those arrests, despite them being potentially expunged, in both the primary AMCAS app and secondaries. Getting your record expunged might be worthwhile for other reasons, though.

Speeding tickets shouldn't factor into the equation unless: you have so many outstanding tickets that there is a warrant for your arrest, these moving violations include misdemeanor(s), a school also requests that you report moving violations you have had.

While we are on the topic...

AMCAS-facilitated Criminal Background Check Service, through which Certiphi Screening, Inc. (a Vertical Screen(R) Company) will procure a background report on applicants with certain types of admission actions.

Does this process include our credit reports as well? Can any adcoms chime in? Thanks!

Oh, I agree. I have zero legal expertise, but I do believe that expungement means it's as if the offense never happened. That said, I would still discuss any offense with the medical school/ residency program in question. It seems like the ethical thing to do, and I wouldn't want to appear to be hiding anything. However, formally disclosing something (in writing) you do not have to disclose can create a hassle, so IMO it's better to just ask first.

Wouldn't schools see that you previously ordered this check on yourself? Would they see that as sketchy?

https://students-residents.aamc.org...ol/article/criminal-background-check-service/

Im sure there is a way they would know thats its been checked previously. I don't think it would be an issue; It can only help you prepare if something is there.

If you're checking it you probably have some concern, but they will see anything if its there anyways, so if anything/nothing comes up its not going to matter either way.

https://students-residents.aamc.org...ol/article/criminal-background-check-service/

Im sure there is a way they would know thats its been checked previously. I don't think it would be an issue; It can only help you prepare if something is there.

If you're checking it you probably have some concern, but they will see anything if its there anyways, so if anything/nothing comes up its not going to matter either way.

So you don't think they'd wonder why you checked previously, even if there was nothing there?

Why would it matter if they checked it also and found nothing? I don't even see a reason for them to speculate if your arrest and criminal record comes back clean.

I was thinking maybe if you had something expunged from your record, and you chose to not report it, then you wanted to check to make sure it wasn't on the background check. They would wonder, What if she is trying to keep something secret from us?

I was thinking maybe if you had something expunged from your record, and you chose to not report it, then you wanted to check to make sure it wasn't on the background check. They would wonder, What if she is trying to keep something secret from us?

If they ask if you've been convicted unless its been expunged, etc. You can say no. But if it plainly states in the secondary or whatever that you have to disclose everything, expunged, adjudicated, or whatever, then you're going to have to say it anyways. I get what you mean but to mean its a non issue due to the safeguards that they have IMO.

If they ask if you've been convicted unless its been expunged, etc. You can say no. But if it plainly states in the secondary or whatever that you have to disclose everything, expunged, adjudicated, or whatever, then you're going to have to say it anyways. I get what you mean but to mean its a non issue due to the safeguards that they have IMO.

I was under the impression that someone could have something expunged, and then lie about it on the application (this is probably a bad decision, because there is a lot at stake if they find out about it). Though I guess that would still show up on the background check, even it was expunged.

I was under the impression that someone could have something expunged, and then lie about it on the application (this is probably a bad decision, because there is a lot at stake if they find out about it). Though I guess that would still show up on the background check, even it was expunged.

my understanding is that residency background checks will see it even if its been expunged anyways.

I think this is rather clear. If they say you have to disclose everything, then do it. If it says disclose everything unless its been expunged, don't. From what I get, Amcas excludes things that have been expunged, whereas secondaries may ask for everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't schools see that you previously ordered this check on yourself? Would they see that as sketchy?

Also, it asks for an AAMCID? Don't only applicants have these? So wouldn't you not be able to order one until you apply?
Lol why would it be sketchy? It may seem silly but I have never been in trouble and I still wanted to check for peace of mind. And no they can't see if you've ran one. It explicitly says that the personal check is confidential and private. There's a federal act protecting information not required for release. The personal check is separate from the official one.