Was it a bad idea that I mentioned research in my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HCW212

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was it a bad idea that I mentioned it was good to have research experience because it gave me a chance to explore the academic side of medicine? I D.O. schools aren't too fond of research (geared towards primary care) and it may sound like I don't fit the D.O. philosophy by giving a paragraph about my research. Is this anything to worry about?

Members don't see this ad.

lol don't worry! DO schools like research! Several offer DO/PhD's!

Was it a bad idea that I mentioned it was good to have research experience because it gave me a chance to explore the academic side of medicine? I D.O. schools aren't too fond of research (geared towards primary care) and it may sound like I don't fit the D.O. philosophy by giving a paragraph about my research. Is this anything to worry about?

I don't think it will be a problem at all, assuming you can thoroughly and accurately describe the research that you've participated in. It shows a strong interest in medicine and certainly will not hurt your chances. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
UNECOM is just about finished building their new bio-med research facility. So DO schools *do* have research programs.

I mentioned research in my PS and had 4 interview invites and two acceptances (I turned down two of my interviews). I did mention that while I enjoyed research it showed me I would like the clinical aspect better than research so I could work with people more directly. Anyways I don't think it will hurt you at all in fact it may really help you.

I think it was a good thing to mention research in your personal statement. It shows your continued commitment to a future in medicine and makes you a stronger/more attractive applicant. I put that information in mine and I had 7 interview offers (only went to 4 interviews) and had 4 acceptances.

I don't think having research in your PS is a bad thing. For DO schools, I personally don't think it will help or hurt but I know others will disagree. My personal experience last year was that most interviewers really didn't care about my research experience, which was pretty substantial, and chose to talk about other things. I didn't mention my research in my PS though.

Research gets overblown because the top 25+ allopathic schools really strongly push having it on your application. However, while it might not be as strongly necessary at all other schools (~26-125 allopathic, all DO schools) it's definitely still a positive thing and will never be a negative thing.

The first two years of science are tough in med school. Research shows an ability to problem solve, a committment to medicine, and an appreciation for science. Certain schools don't care quite as much about the diversity of specialities their class matches into (and would even push you towards primary care), but others (I know CCOM is an example) encourage their students to do research in their time at school both to buff their resumes for residency placement and to develop students who may become excellent researchers in the future.

No, I think it was a good move. I spoke heavily about my research experiences in my PS because they were critical to developing my love for science and medicine. Along the interview trail, adcoms were really curious about my experiences. Be careful, however, to make sure to balance yourself as a candidate for school - you want to talk about your research as much as you would volunteering or other extra curriculars which helped solidify your intent to be a physician.

I added research experience in my PS and never had any problems with it.

I mentioned research in my PS and had 4 interview invites and two acceptances (I turned down two of my interviews). I did mention that while I enjoyed research it showed me I would like the clinical aspect better than research so I could work with people more directly. Anyways I don't think it will hurt you at all in fact it may really help you.
I wrote something similar; what schools did you get interviews and acceptances at? I haven't chosen my schools yet.