Was there anyone in your class that annoyed the hell out of you and others?

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
They're either arrogant, loud, ditzy or just plain rude? Have you called them out for it too?
Were they damaging to any group work?

Personally, one person sticks out in my mind. Nobody called her out but after she spoke, you'd hear half the class whispering and see them roll their eyes all at once. Working with her on anything was hell. :/

Pharm47

Just keep running...
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Portland
Status
Pharmacy Student
ethyl said:
They're either arrogant, loud, ditzy or just plain rude? Have you called them out for it too?

Personally, one person sticks out in my mind. Nobody called her out but after she spoke, you'd hear half the class whispering and see them roll their eyes all at once. Working with her on anything was hell. :/

For me, it was the pre-med students. In fact, pre-med students at my college are one of the main reasons I decided not to go into medicine. Here's my favorite example:

O-Chem professor (excited): ...and this molecule blah blah blah...its so cool...blah blah

Pre Med Student (raising hand impatiently): Um, is this going to be on the MCAT??

O-Chem professor: Probably not

Pre Med Student (put-out): Well, then, why are we spending so much time on it?!

This is one of just many examples of why I hated most pre-meds.

ageldred

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pharmacy Student
Pharm47 said:
For me, it was the pre-med students. In fact, pre-med students at my college are one of the main reasons I decided not to go into medicine. Here's my favorite example:

O-Chem professor (excited): ...and this molecule blah blah blah...its so cool...blah blah

Pre Med Student (raising hand impatiently): Um, is this going to be on the MCAT??

O-Chem professor: Probably not

Pre Med Student (put-out): Well, then, why are we spending so much time on it?!

This is one of just many examples of why I hated most pre-meds.
And ugh how even the professors seemed to cater to the pre-med students. "When you go to medical school..." etc. Excuse me, everyone in a science major is not intending to go to medical school.

Unfortunately I think this happens in all aspects of school, work etc. I think we'll all have to deal with those type of people in many different situations. I have them in my science classes, had them in my business classes, and I've faced them at work and in clubs. Ehh we just have to deal with them!

About the Ads

Requiem

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
ethyl said:

Personally, one person sticks out in my mind. Nobody called her out but after she spoke, you'd hear half the class make whispers and see them roll their eyes all at once. Working with her on anything was hell. :/

Yes, several in fact. Because i'm recognized as being, well, me, people often turn to me to drop a comment or crack a joke right after the stupid question is asked - which i've done repeatedly, to no avail.

I've actually made people cry laughing so hard right after *******#1,2 or 3 asks their question but they are oblivious. Some great ones: "Can you fax paper" (reference to faxed Rx's) "Is making this glycerin compound like baking a cake" (I screamed out BETTY CROCKER SAYS HELL NO) or "Can you burn water??" One actually started noticing I'd crack jokes and would always turn to watch me after she'd make a comment, but still kept going.

We have a formal christmas dinner and in that we give out class awards - I was chosen to come up with the awards (they're supposed to be a joke.)
So what I did was I made a giant question mark and called it "The Riddler Award" (a la batman) and presented the worse one with a giant question mark for all her class contributions. In front of the whole school. Flawless plan right? Couldn't go wrong right?

She asks just as many if not more since the award. I just go numb as soon as she speaks. It's the only way.

luckyPharmD.stu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Status
Of course...all of us know at least one person who is so annoying. After finishing the exam, the knucklehead left the room for awhile, then came back. This bonehead then asked the professor, " Oh professor! Can I get my exam back? I have to correct something...". During the lecture, this other person asked whether we have to memorize all 100 molecular formulas and its pKa value for the next quiz...OH MY GOBRINO!!!!

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
This happens in every class. Every year it seems like we have one "class idiot." Don't worry, you get used to them and pretty much it helps give you a little laugh to break the monotony :)

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Funny thing.. this girl in my plant bio class ALWAYS asks the dumbest questions (in an one hour lecture she would average 6 questions and she always sat in the front).

So me and my friend found it hilariously annoying and everyone around me would always sigh and/or roll their eyes.

During my communications class we had to give a presentation about 5 kinds of people we relate to and 5 kinds of people we don't relate to and one of the students said they didn't relate to people who always ask questions in class and she told a story about a girl in her bio class who always asked the dumbest questions... and I raised my hand and asked if she was talking about plant bio lecture at 3:10pm.. and she was!

Anyway I thought it was funny.. perhaps you had to be there.. I mean thats how annoying this girl was.. :laugh:

imperial frog

Pharm.D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Outside your bedroom window.
Status
Trancelucent1 said:
This happens in every class. Every year it seems like we have one "class idiot." Don't worry, you get used to them and pretty much it helps give you a little laugh to break the monotony :)
Damn it...I told you to stop talking about me!

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I have had the same chem professor for Gen C-1, Orgo-1, and Orgo-2. His teaching style is to lay out all of these interesting concepts that seem like nothing more than mere tangents. Then at the end...he ties them together with a simple bow. The guy is the best freaking teacher I have ever had. That being said...as he is telling his story he gets asked "Well then how does this..." and "What about...". He repeatedly says, "I am getting there", but Miss Doe just keeps asking away. You can see that he is obviously getting perturbed. When Miss Doe finally lets him finish she gets this odd look, as if farts smelled good. Next chapter, the ditz acts the same way..she just doesn't get it. Meanwhile, I am searching through my pack to see if I have a pencil to replace the one I just lodged in her neck.

woosah!

foroneaudience

Foroneaudience
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
There was a guy in my Organic I and II class that would ask the prof. questions that didn’t apply to the topic we were going over. He would raise his hand and everyone would let out a small groan. We might have been going over chair flips or something and he would ask a question that went above and beyond the subject and the prof. would say something like, that’s too advanced for this class. If the prof. didn’t teach it we don’t need to learn it!!! And this would happen at least once a week! :mad:

Lurkerkat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
There was a pre-med student who I had in a handful of classes. The guy could not handle listening to a lecture and would always interrupt the professor. Teachers began out right rolling their eyes when they saw him raise his hand because he usually had some off topic question. In Physics II he would argue with the professor. Yeah... I'm going to trust the guy with the PhD and not the know-it-all pre-med student.

The worst though was how he'd introduce himself. If he recognized you from another class the first things out of his mouth was how he got an A in the class and he would inquire what you got. He did this to everyone. I really wish I would have called him on it.

ageldred

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pharmacy Student
Lurkerkat said:
There was a pre-med student who I had in a handful of classes. The guy could not handle listening to a lecture and would always interrupt the professor. Teachers began out right rolling their eyes when they saw him raise his hand because he usually had some off topic question. In Physics II he would argue with the professor. Yeah... I'm going to trust the guy with the PhD and not the know-it-all pre-med student.

The worst though was how he'd introduce himself. If he recognized you from another class the first things out of his mouth was how he got an A in the class and he would inquire what you got. He did this to everyone. I really wish I would have called him on it.
I had a guy like that in my physics class too. During the quizzes he would try and argue with the prof, as if that's a good time to argue with someone! At least that guy was smart......it's worse when those people think they're smart and they really aren't!

About the Ads