Was this illegal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ironman322

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While shadowing a few years back, a doctor allowed me to administer a vaccination to a patient (specifically Zostavax for shingles). I was just writing this in a secondary app regarding my shadowing experience, when I realized this might have been illegal. Should I even mention it? I thought it was very cool, and sounds better than "I watched him fill out paperwork and took some vitals", but I don't want him to get in trouble either- I AM filling it out with his name, telephone number, and the clinic he works at.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't include this. I don't think your having done this will make/break/effect your chances at all...on the flip side, it might put that doc in a compromising position...

would definitely NOT include. Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
"It is a negative (and unethical) when untrained applicants tell us about performing clinical procedures" -from the Michigan admissions twitter

While shadowing a few years back, a doctor allowed me to administer a vaccination to a patient (specifically Zostavax for shingles). I was just writing this in a secondary app regarding my shadowing experience, when I realized this might have been illegal.

Whether or not it is allowed is completely dependent on the state in which this occurred. The spectrum ranges from states where there is formal certification for non-physicians/PA/NP/nurses administering vaccines to states that allow vaccines to be administered by anybody sufficiently trained and observed by the physician.

That said, I think it is more appropriate to just be vague and say "assisted as appropriate in vaccine administration (or simple in-clinic procedures)" . . . because, really, vaccinating a single person didn't revolutionize or concretize your desire to be a physician. The point of shadowing is to illustrate that you understand what doctor's do and still feel like it's a good fit, not for you to gain a leg up on your competition by racking up skills you're going to learn in med school.

do not mention it. as an emt, docs and nurses have let me do a few things outside of my scope of practice with extreme supervision and direction (no surgery or "skilled" procedures, or i wouldn't have done it) but these things usually follow the: "what happens in vegas, stays in vegas" mantra

Whether or not it is allowed is completely dependent on the state in which this occurred. The spectrum ranges from states where there is formal certification for non-physicians/PA/NP/nurses administering vaccines to states that allow vaccines to be administered by anybody sufficiently trained and observed by the physician.

That said, I think it is more appropriate to just be vague and say "assisted as appropriate in vaccine administration (or simple in-clinic procedures)" . . . because, really, vaccinating a single person didn't revolutionize or concretize your desire to be a physician. The point of shadowing is to illustrate that you understand what doctor's do and still feel like it's a good fit, not for you to gain a leg up on your competition by racking up skills you're going to learn in med school.

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I'm gonna go with being vague, and not risk getting him in trouble for being "the cool doctor".

I wouldn't include it... But oddly, had this been done in a free clinic, I think people posting here would be singing a different tune. It's a strange double standard.

Generally, when doing clinical ECs, pre-meds get into the mindset thinking "MORE IS BETTER." This is why so many flock to free clinics, EMT work, etc... But ADCOMs just want you to familiarize yourself with the clinical environment. Not become a doctor so you cango to medical school.