Was this OMM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rendar5

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer in an ER and one of the doctors showed me how to pop a dislocated shoulder back into its socket. But he didn't use any drugs, didn't shove the shoulder into place, and there wasn't any sudden burst of pain for the patient. All he did was pull the arm straight down (slowly) and when he pulled it down far enough it suddenly popped back up into the socket. So was that an osteopathic technique?

Members don't see this ad.

No, that was a closed reduction technique that all othopedists and many ER docs have to know and use for dislocations and fractures.

It does bring up an interesting question: should osteopathic schools teach only manual medicine that's traditionally osteopathic, or teach other sorts of useful manual medicine also?

Or another way of putting it, which I think is the same question as the OP: is osteopathic technique comprehensive, or part of a wider array of useful techniques?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are certain things you learn on rotations, like central lines, shoulder reductions, etc. that you would never learn during pre-clinicals. I think we would agree that reduction of subluxations is 'manual medicine', it is not unique to OMM, and even though it is taught at some level, it should not be taught during pre-clinicals, just as you would not be taught how to do a central line, even though we started IV's on each other this year.

Okay this may come to a shock for most of you but a great deal of manual medicine taught in your OMM courses are not sole property of the DO's

My very first clinical rotation was in IM by and MD, he used trigger point therapy and swore by it and he gave me tips on how to succesfully treat trigger points better than any DO I ever met (okay throw your tomatoes now). Newsflash, physical therapist, massage therapist all use trigger points, this was not some DO invention.

All those little test you learn in OMM Apleys's test, Yergasons, Psoas sign, McMurrays, Straight leg raising, etc., guess what, these are all diagnostic manual musculoskeletal techniques that MD's do too. Its amazing! When you are in DO OMM lab, the profs act like these things are "our little secret", you get out on rotations and find out that these things, e.g. the reduction of a dislocated shoulder mentioned above, have been standard in medicine for many years and are not property of the DO's

What is ours? Cranial, HVLA, muscle energy, and counterstrain. And even though I know nothing about chiropractic medicine or natural medicine, I am sure experts in those fields can argue they do the same things with different names and slightly different theories on how the techniques work.