Was your gpa mentioned in your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toomuch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read all these threads where people are worried about one C on their transcript and try to plan a reason for it during the interview. I've gotten a couple and no mention of Gpa in my interviews.

So out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many of you have had interviews where gpa discrepancies was a main question in the interview and not just a passing thought.

Members don't see this ad.

None of my interviewers mentioned my GPA, MCAT, or ECs. We basically talked about my personal statement, my graduate school experience, why I want to be a doctor, why I would go to their school and the general state of health delivery.

My gpa was mentioned along with my two mcat scores.

My gpa is a little above a 3.5, but I had a slight down trend in my jr. and sr. years---no C's, just a lot of B's.

The interview was a SLU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one C on my transcript, and I was (needlessly) paranoid about this as a liability on my application. I wasn't once asked about it, nor did I bring it up in interviews. If you get to the interview stage, you have the opportunity to showcase your interpersonal skills and motivations for being a doctor, and you can minimize the impact of a couple less-than-stellar things on your transcript.

I had an interviewer who asked for an explanation of every bad grade (2 W's and a D). That was kinda strange. Out of ten interviews that was the only one where my numbers came up.

i had one interviewer who asked me to explain every grade that was below an A-...

at another school i was asked why i took a certain class credit/d/fail

Originally posted by cmplaya
i had one interviewer who asked me to explain every grade that was below an A-...

at another school i was asked why i took a certain class credit/d/fail

Any grade below an A-?!! :rolleyes:

GPA only came up once at one of my interviews. The interviewer wanted to know why my GPA was so low in comparison to my MCATs (which was weird because it was a 3.62, not something I'd consider low)

I didn't have any interviews that ever touched my GPA or MCAT scores. There was a distinct difference in interviews if the person had read my application/personal statement or not. If so, there were a couple of things I mentioned that the interviewer wanted to talk about (positive things). If not, it was the generic "Why medicine?" or "Name a weakness" type questions.

Originally posted by Rendar5
GPA only came up once at one of my interviews. The interviewer wanted to know why my GPA was so low in comparison to my MCATs (which was weird because it was a 3.62, not something I'd consider low)

Was your MCAT 35+? Also, what was your major? I think that's an important issue many people omit when they post on this board.

None of my interviewers ever asked about specific grades in classes. I think as long as your overall GPA is fine, then you'll be OK.

Originally posted by gschl1234
Was your MCAT 35+? Also, what was your major? I think that's an important issue many people omit when they post on this board.

yeah, it was 35+. I was a chem major.

Originally posted by toomuch
I've read all these threads where people are worried about one C on their transcript and try to plan a reason for it during the interview. I have plenty of C's on my transcript, anyone with a 3.3 gpa or less probably does as well, but in my two interviews that I've gone to, my gpa wasn't mentioned unless I brought it up. I have my third interview next month and I still don't think my gpa will be the topic of conversation.

So out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many of you have had interviews where gpa discrepancies was a main question in the interview and not just a passing thought.

My grades and MCAT score has been brought up in about half of my interviews. It happens and gives you a bit to talk about (good or bad). Don't sweat it.

Coops

I had a 3.3 (2 Cs and 2 C+'s) and my one open file interviewer didn't care. I think he made some comment like "your GPA is (pause) okay." but then he kept talking saying my MCAT score was great, and he didn't ask me to comment on my GPA.

yeah i had a low gpa so of course it was mentioned in my interviews.

Originally posted by Rendar5
yeah, it was 35+. I was a chem major.

I was a chem major too and a 3.6-something isn't bad at all. Well, maybe the interviewer didn't pay attention to what kinds of classes you were taking.

I had to explain my low gpa in almost all of my interviews (upward trend definitely helps, though).