Was your medical education/training extended or interrupted? Sick leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atethesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was put on sick leave for 1 month for health reason. Should I say that my training was interrupted?

Members don't see this ad.

I was put on sick leave for 1 month for health reason. Should I say that my training was interrupted?

Not an authority, but what I take that to mean is if you won't graduate with the class you matriculated in.

Actually, you raise a good point and one that I probably should have thought of before I submitted ERAS. I technically was on a one month LOA when I did research at another institution but I never thought for one second that it would count as my training being "interrupted".

Well, I didn't report mine. I vote you don't report yours...

They want to know whether it took longer than the planned 4 years for you to graduate and, if so, why. Nothing more.

So if you took 6 years to graduate and it was because you did a couple of years of research...yes, your training was interrupted, and that's cool.

If it took you 6 years to graduate and it was because you were in prison for two years...yes, your training was interrupted, and that's going to be a bit of a problem for you.

They want to know whether it took longer than the planned 4 years for you to graduate and, if so, why. Nothing more.

So if you took 6 years to graduate and it was because you did a couple of years of research...yes, your training was interrupted, and that's cool.

If it took you 6 years to graduate and it was because you were in prison for two years...yes, your training was interrupted, and that's going to be a bit of a problem for you.

What about residency training? I took a 1 month sick leave due to health reason and I am reapplying to a PGY1 position. Does that count as "interrupted"?

What about residency training? I took a 1 month sick leave due to health reason and I am reapplying to a PGY1 position. Does that count as "interrupted"?
Yes, that counts. Just say you took medical leave. Expect to be asked to explain (at least generically) at interviews

You could say jail gave yourself more "life experience" and as a result grew as a person. :laugh: