Wash DC Residents, In-state out of state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty certain that about 4 years ago or so a law was passed that declared all Washington DC residents as in-state students when applying to all state schools in the country. I am not positive but have heard this from several DC residents when they were applying for their undergraduate studies. Now I am not sure whether they were given equal preference to schools that gave their state students preference, from an admissions perspective, or whether they were admitted as out of state students but just given in-state tuition rates when or if accepted. Especially considering the fact that all of the DC's schools are private and very expensive. Anyways, does anybody know of this law? and if so whould they be given in-state preference to all state schools in the country when applying to medical schools? If not what schools do give preferrence to DC residents?

Members don't see this ad.

i would love for someone to give a response to this... i have been wondering the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you had to pick either MD or VA for IS residency purposes.

Although not a resident, I am a student of DC...and also tired of homework, so i decided to do a google search:

"[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]DC Tuition Assistance Grant
The DC Tuition Grant pays the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition at public colleges and universities nationwide or provides $2,500 per year to go to private colleges and universities in the DC metro area and private historically black colleges and universities nationwide. Recipients must be residents of Washington, DC. If you have not graduated from high school in Washington, DC within the past three years, you must be able to prove that you have been a resident of Washington, DC for the last five years. Children of diplomats are not eligible."

The program, aka DCTAG, seems to be only for undergraduate institutions, but i would suggest you search
.[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA] www.tuitiongrant.dc.gov more than i did, if you have a vested interest.

i'm pretty sure it's only for undergrad institutions and it's only for tuition purposes, NOT for admission. i've lived in the area my entire life and i've never heard anything about choosing VA or MD for state residency.

It's only for undergraduate education, nothing past that.

only undergrad
only for tuition purposes ($10,000 per year rebate from the US taxpayer)
but ANY state school in the US, not just Md and VA

sweet deal. my sister goes to Berkley with a $40,000 rebate.

Yeah I thought that was the case. However, I guess in terms of med school admissions than living in DC would sort of put you at a disadvantage. You would have no state schools to apply to, other applicants would have a leg up on the admissions process at their state schools.

so, so, so true. welcome to my world. never minded being from here until now. huge disadvantage admissions-wise and tuition-wise.

allegedly GW and Georgetown give slight advantages to DC residents but i have seen no real evidence of that.

who knew?

only undergrad
only for tuition purposes ($10,000 per year rebate from the US taxpayer)
but ANY state school in the US, not just Md and VA

sweet deal. my sister goes to Berkley with a $40,000 rebate.

That is a good deal.