Wash U Committee meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rgroov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the next one?

Members don't see this ad.

I think they meet once a month, and since the last one was Nov 17th, I would guess the next meeting would be sometime next week. I wouldn't mind an early Christmas present from Wash U.... :rolleyes:

Kazazzle12 said:
I think they meet once a month, and since the last one was Nov 17th, I would guess the next meeting would be sometime next week. I wouldn't mind an early Christmas present from Wash U.... :rolleyes:

ditto! they don't have to wrap it up or anything ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kazazzle12 said:

I also heard the rumor that they meet once a month. Has anyone heard this from a reliable source, or is it just a guess?

unicorn06 said:
I also heard the rumor that they meet once a month. Has anyone heard this from a reliable source, or is it just a guess?

with how many people they interview, there's no way WashU's committee would meet less frequently than once a month. If once a month is not accurate, I'd guess they meet more than once a month, which is even better.

But yes, I have it from a reliable source (former adcom member) that they meet once a month. It might get a little crazy this month since that meeting date would fall really close to the holidays.

ahumdinger said:
with how many people they interview, there's no way WashU's committee would meet less frequently than once a month. If once a month is not accurate, I'd guess they meet more than once a month, which is even better.

But yes, I have it from a reliable source (former adcom member) that they meet once a month. It might get a little crazy this month since that meeting date would fall really close to the holidays.

I was in this process last year... will be up again next week. Yes, they meet once a month. Last year, it was every 3rd Thursday. Looks like it this year too (Nov 17th was the 3rd Thursday). In Decemeber/January, they change up the schedule slightly to accomodate holidays. Most likely the next adcom meeting will be on the 15th (3rd Thursday of the month)...

So now you guys (and I) have a schedule to go crazy every month - for the entire week following the 3rd Thursday. Cheers!

chanjurban said:
I was in this process last year... will be up again next week. Yes, they meet once a month. Last year, it was every 3rd Thursday. Looks like it this year too (Nov 17th was the 3rd Thursday). In Decemeber/January, they change up the schedule slightly to accomodate holidays. Most likely the next adcom meeting will be on the 15th (3rd Thursday of the month)...

So now you guys (and I) have a schedule to go crazy every month - for the entire week following the 3rd Thursday. Cheers!

YES! Thanks for fueling my neuroticism. You are my enabler :laugh:

Yeah, talk about a scheduled nervous breakdown! This month, I am up for review again at the three schools where's I've interviewed. They are in order: This friday, UW excom meets. Next thursday, WashU adcom meets, the following friday, UMissouri adcom decides. I mean jeez, it's like a f*cked up Advent calendar.

ahumdinger said:
Yeah, talk about a scheduled nervous breakdown! This month, I am up for review again at the three schools where's I've interviewed. They are in order: This friday, UW excom meets. Next thursday, WashU adcom meets, the following friday, UMissouri adcom decides. I mean jeez, it's like a f*cked up Advent calendar.

yeah seriously, xmas has the potential to suck a little... :oops: *crosses fingers oh so tightly*

Are they meeting todaaaaaaaaaay?

I was just at WashU this weekend and a couple guys I was interviewing were talking and MCAT came up. I don't really like to say what I got because it's pretty high and I feel like it's bragging so I just answered kind of vaguely. Then one guy is like, "43." And the other guy who asked had a 40! So much for being secretive about my score because of how high it was. There are some freaking geniuses up there.

They are meeting today. I interviewed there on Monday and we were told the next full committee meeting would be today, and that the next one would be three weeks later. They also told us that acceptance packages get sent out the day of the meeting. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wahina said:
I was just at WashU this weekend and a couple guys I was interviewing were talking and MCAT came up. I don't really like to say what I got because it's pretty high and I feel like it's bragging so I just answered kind of vaguely. Then one guy is like, "43." And the other guy who asked had a 40! So much for being secretive about my score because of how high it was. There are some freaking geniuses up there.

Barf. If you're at an interview day and the best thing your fellow interviewees can come up with is a penis...I mean MCAT...measuring contest, that's sign 1 that the school is too dorky.

ND2005 said:
Barf. If you're at an interview day and the best thing your fellow interviewees can come up with is a penis...I mean MCAT...measuring contest, that's sign 1 that the school is too dorky.

Someone didn't get an interview....

Justjokes.

ND2005 said:

actually, that just means that the people applying are too dorky. I can't believe that actually came up in conversation. I mean, everyone knows that those who apply and get interviewed generally have such astronomical MCAT scores that the differences don't matter much anymore. Besides, WashU claims that once you get invited to interview, you are on an equal playing ground, so they can flex their MCAT dicks all they want, but if they accidentally flex them during the interview, they're done for.
Wahina, I'm glad you were trying to be modest about it.

ND2005 said:

How is this a sign that the school is dorky? Sure, the applicants that day were pretty lame, but I was very favorably impressed by the students when I was there, which seems like a much better measure of a school.

I'm leaving tomorrow- how am I going to find out if I got a packet or not? Guess I should call?

Yeh, I'd like to know as well, because I will be gone for the next month. If they send them out on the same day of their meeting (today - Nov. 15th), then when should we expect to receive them? Anyone (who's gotten in already) remember how many days later you received it?

Seona said:
Yeh, I'd like to know as well, because I will be gone for the next month. If they send them out on the same day of their meeting (today - Nov. 15th), then when should we expect to receive them? Anyone (who's gotten in already) remember how many days later you received it?

I didn't get in last month, but I remember reading on another thread that at least one person got a notice on saturday because the letters were sent via express mail.

GOod luck all.

as for me, I'm just hoping for a spot on the waitlist.

BoogieGnome said:
How is this a sign that the school is dorky? Sure, the applicants that day were pretty lame, but I was very favorably impressed by the students when I was there, which seems like a much better measure of a school.

I don't know. If I went to an interview, and all the applicants sat around and just compared stats, especially MCATs, that would leave me with a pretty poor impression of the day. I know that not all of those kids are going to get in (though let's face it, the kid with the 43 probably is, unless he's some sort of social ******), but it would just leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

ND2005 said:
I don't know. If I went to an interview, and all the applicants sat around and just compared stats, especially MCATs, that would leave me with a pretty poor impression of the day. I know that not all of those kids are going to get in (though let's face it, the kid with the 43 probably is, unless he's some sort of social ******), but it would just leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

The interview process must be doing a good job screening people because the students that eventually get in and attend are NOT like that at all. The group I interviewed with was very small, with about half washU undergrads. But there was still a little bit of showing off between a couple of the interviewees, mainly over what interviews they've gotten so far, since it was still so early in the season (october). But there's no numbers competition within the class that gets accepted. But who knows, maybe this year's class will be like those barf-inducing interviewees.

ahumdinger said:
The interview process must be doing a good job screening people because the students that eventually get in and attend are NOT like that at all.

I sure hope not. I don't want to be in an environment where I'm surrounded by tools who just want to prove they're smarter than everyone by comparing test scores.

ND2005 said:
I sure hope not. I don't want to be in an environment where I'm surrounded by tools who just want to prove they're smarter than everyone by comparing test scores.

Well, as you probably know (or hopefully), the first year is pass-fail. So no one is comparing with anyone else. Where do you think this is, SLU?

ahumdinger said:
Well, as you probably know (or hopefully), the first year is pass-fail. So no one is comparing with anyone else. Where do you think this is, SLU?

I actually had a classmate who, as a junior in college, still liked to brag about her SAT score, and talk about how she could have gone to an Ivy League school.

She annoyed the crap out of me, so this is something of a hot topic to me.

ND2005 said:

Hi. I'm a second year at Wash U and I can personally assure you that I don't know the MCAT score of a single one of my classmates. Our class works hard to foster a supportive, collaborative environment. We make review notes and ppts that are distributed to the class, we share old exams, and we drink together...a lot...that probably helps the most.

anyway. You can't judge a school by an anecdotal run-in with some applicants trying to flex nut. Best of luck with your applications.

Glad to hear that, velocypedalist -- WashU is a school I'm definitely excited about.

I think I gave kind of the wrong impression. WashU was a really cool interview because most of the applicants stay in the same dorm the night before. So we had been hanging out all night and talking about different stuff. It wasn't until later that the MCAT was brought up, and it was in conversation. The interviewees at WashU were actually probably the chillest out of any I've been to, although I got a much better chance to meet them too. So that's what happened, it wasn't like a bunch of applicants on interview morning who didn't know each other and someone decided to start a pissing contest. It was just interesting to me because I didn't want to say my score because I figured I had the highest score, but in reality I had the lowest. Which, in that room, was nothing to be ashamed of. :laugh:

Wahina said:
I think I gave kind of the wrong impression. WashU was a really cool interview because most of the applicants stay in the same dorm the night before. So we had been hanging out all night and talking about different stuff. It wasn't until later that the MCAT was brought up, and it was in conversation. The interviewees at WashU were actually probably the chillest out of any I've been to, although I got a much better chance to meet them too. So that's what happened, it wasn't like a bunch of applicants on interview morning who didn't know each other and someone decided to start a pissing contest. It was just interesting to me because I didn't want to say my score because I figured I had the highest score, but in reality I had the lowest. Which, in that room, was nothing to be ashamed of. :laugh:

well i'm glad that convo didn't come up at my interview day...i would have cried a little! ahaha

random question...any idea about what percentage of applicants get in at this point? some current students told me that when they interviewed in january/february, they were told that all the slots had been filled and that they were just interviewing for the waitlist. so does that mean we have better than the overall 30%-ish chance of getting in since we've already interviewed? :oops:

To answer your questions, I'm pretty sure they met today. I got a call from my interviewer this afternoon. My first acceptance!!!! Official letters are being sent out today.

congrats to student student! Who did you interview with?!

For the record, when I was there the students I met impressed me because you could tell they were smart, but they weren't in your face or pompous about it. Maybe the applicants are just showing a little bit of insecurity because they're still applying, and once kids are in they settle down a little bit? And that P/F the first year probably helps a bunch, too.

ND2005 said:

To backup what some other people have said, I interviewed there a couple weeks ago, and I didn't hear anyone in my interview group talking about MCAT scores or the like. In fact, the other applicants I met were the coolest people I've met at any school so far. There was one somewhat obnoxious/pretentious guy, but that's the point of the interview - to screen out tools like him. All of the students I met were surprisingly sociable and fun to talk to. Wash U has enough applicants with amazing scores. They have the luxury of being able to turn down anyone, regardless of MCAT score.

Don't take one isolated incident (especially of an applicant, not even a student) to form your opinion of a school.