Wash U in St. Louis vs. Yale for psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewPsych123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone who visited BOTH Wash U and Yale comment on which program they preferred and why? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. My interests are in academic psychiatry.

Both struck me as very collegial places, with extremely nice residents. I personally prefer St. Louis over New Haven. Wash U is more biological, whereas Yale appears to be more balanced between psychopharm and psychotherapy; however, this is not a big deal to me either way. While Wash U is research-heavy, my impression was that most of the research opportunities were in neuroscience (which is not my thing). Yale has plenty of research, but it is not a research powerhouse in the same way that a place like Columbia is, for example. It seems that while the Wash U name is very known in medicine in general, Wash U psychiatry is not as big as Yale psychiatry (Wash U psych's golden days seem to be over). Is this a misconception on my part? Meanwhile, Yale psychiatry produces more chairs than any other program in the country.

Also, there is a red flag I am aware of with the Wash U program. Apparently, a few years ago, a resident was asked to leave the program. I'm not sure how bad a resident he/she was. But it is something to note.

Does anyone have strong feelings as to which offers a richer/better education, or have any other things to add?

Members don't see this ad.

(Wash U psych's golden days seem to be over). Is this a misconception on my part?

That is a misconception on your part. Although WashU occupy a much more prominent position in American history, they are still a research powerhouse today. I would say they are one of the top places for psychiatric genetics. Often overlooked they have a good psychiatric epidemiology program, and health policy with a new institute for public health. I know I have put them on the list of programs to avoid but this is probably a bit harsh considering some of the programs that are also on that list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people always say "Wash U in St. Louis?" Is that just to rub it in? Everyone knows where it is, right?

Why do people always say "Wash U in St. Louis?" Is that just to rub it in? Everyone knows where it is, right?

I think some people add the St.Louis, because people outside of medicine often mix up Washington University and University of Washington....

I think some people add the St.Louis, because people outside of medicine often mix up Washington University and University of Washington....

I think you're wrong. The University of Washington is known around the world as "yoo-dub." If it were just a matter of clarification, then UW would be called "yoo-dub in Seattle."

I think you're wrong. The University of Washington is known around the world as "yoo-dub." If it were just a matter of clarification, then UW would be called "yoo-dub in Seattle."
Actually, Saluki is correct. Otherwise there would not be undergraduates at Wash U running around with school t-shirts that say "no, it's not in Seattle" on the back.

Also, perhaps people call it that because the full and complete name of the university is.... Washington University in St. Louis (see also: www.wustl.edu).

I've seen at least one article in a major news source where the two were mixed up, though it's been so long ago that I don't remember which one was mixed up for which.

The "yoo-dub" is a pronunciation thing that won't come across over text.... But you're right, people don't add Seattle to clarify University of Washington... And there may be some deep psychological reason for that, which I'm simply not aware of :p

Actually, Saluki is correct. Otherwise there would not be undergraduates at Wash U running around with school t-shirts that say "no, it's not in Seattle" on the back.

Also, perhaps people call it that because the full and complete name of the university is.... Washington University in St. Louis (see also: www.wustl.edu).

If that were true, then there would also be a "George Washington University in DC." Nah, I think there is just something strangely forgettable about St. Louis that is making the school have to remind people where it is.