Wash U Merit Scholarship Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dalo0228

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for that scholarship this year, and I'm trying to figure out how many people were invited to apply.

Anyone who has been accepted so far, but not yet sent a scholarship app?

I'm thinking maybe they base it on MCAT scores, considering the school's reputation. For those who have been invited, what is your MCAT?

Mine is 39S.

I hope to see some of you on May 1st!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think everyone who is accepted to WU earlier in the year is given the application. I think it is based on your interviewer. Basically, if they like you a lot then they'll recommend you for the scholarship. I am not 100% certian about this information, but that's what a WU med student said.

Congrat's and good luck on the scholarship.

hey dalo-I PMed you about this

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dwahl
hey dalo-I PMed you about this

Karen44 and I both applied for this. At least I haven't heard back yet, I don't think she has either,but you could PM her and ask. Good luck!

CCW

Not to worry that you haven't heard yet. From looking at last year's thread, you get invited for the interview weekend around mid-April - a long ways away!

I also was asked to apply. I had heard about the scholarships ahead of time so I asked my interviewer about the chances - he said he thought "about 100" people applied. Take it with a grain of salt, though, since he didn't seem to know too much about them.

Originally posted by ify
not sure it's based on mcat because i got invited, and have a 33. My guess, is that it's the entire application package, because there's nothing special about 33, especially for WashU.

We gotta get rid of that other duplicate thread. That was my bad.

I think 100 is overinflated. I think the answer is more like 45-50, at least the Dean of Fin Aid told us this the day I interviewed.

I am certain the scholarship process is a holistic one. This whole idea about them only caring about MCAT scores is absurd. Just like any of the top 5 schools, Wash U uses a holistic process. And they look at everything, yes, including your academics and MCAT score.

Karen and I both did well. I am sure that everyone applying is a great candidate in every respect.

CCW

I just heard back today about the Olin scholarship (the one for women across all of Wash U, not just the med school)...I got an interview for mid-March, with all expenses paid (phew...that's a relief on my budget!)...it would be so cool not to have to worry about loans in med school...

But I know that the "regular" (med school-specific) scholarship interviews are held later...so I guess you would get notified later as well. I applied for one of those too...but if I get the Olin scholarship, of course I would be taken out of consideration for the med school one.

Good luck to you all!

Oh, and Coops, your PM box is full...

Count me in on the scholarship app. I haven't sent mine in yet though. Too many other things to write. Man, I thought I was done writing these stupid self-evaluative essays! Arrrggghh.

karen, how did they let you know about the olin interview?

as for the scores they look at, i'm sure mcats are a factor, but definitely not the sole reason to invite you to apply. i scored well but not incredible, but i think i had some other things going for me.