Wash U recruiting letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolate-e

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Congratulations on your strong showing on the April 2003 MCAT. Based on your terrific performance, I decided to write to make sure that you are aware of the outstanding opportunities for women in medicine at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis ..."

Does this flattering letter get sent out to everybody who checks "yes" to the promo question on the MCAT form (and, in this case, is female)? Does getting letters like these actually indicate that you might have good chances of getting in, or just that the school has a big recruiting budget?

Oh well. It's nice of them to make us feel warm and fuzzy, anyway ... and I'm sure the cost is more than covered by the $50 secondary fee. ;-)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Yeah, I got the same letter last year. It made me feel pretty special and confident. The rejection letter I got pre-interview didn't make me feel as special or confident.

--Vinoy

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, i'm female, and I got a 33, and I didn't get any letter... I also haven't gotten some of the secondary e-mails others have gotten (Cornell, GW)... wtf?

- Quid :)

Originally posted by popeyepete
wtf? I got a 38 on the mcat and got a packet from them, but nothing like what the original poster got! Maybe it is only for girls or maybe for URM's. Is the OP an minority?

Nope, Im a ORM with the same MCAT as you and I got the letter.

I dont think it means anything though to be honest. I wouldnt count anything that med schools send you as increasing your chances of getting in until you hold the letter of acceptance in your hand.

i got that letter last year with a 35R, i think most of the people who got it had 33+ mcats scores last year, but no it sure doesnt guarantee an interview if a school sends you recruiting mail (screw you, Penn :p). looking at their averages, i think i'd say the MCAT is a very big thing with Wash U's admissions committee ;)

Originally posted by iamhere
Did you guys get this letter before you applied or what? Maybe they skipped my 37!!! I also have not received any recruiting letters. I didn't know med schools recruited people. I just figured they had enough applicants the way it was without asking people to apply when they only accept less than 10% usually anyway.

patience, young grasshopper ;)

much like the sending of secondaries, i dont think its all sent out uniformally. besides, in the long run, those "recruitment letters" mean nothing. I think the reason why a place like Wash U might be compelled to send those letters outside of liking high MCATs might be partly due to their location. Its in the midwest and has to compete for top students at schools on the East and West Coast, boston, san francisco, new york city, etc. Plus, while most of us premeds know that Wash U is an absolutely amazing school, if you asked random college student without looking at usnews what are the top 5 med schools in the US, Wash U might not immediately come to mind....

but, thats just my humble opinion :)

Did you guys get this letter before you applied or what? Maybe they skipped my 37!!! I also have not received any recruiting letters. I didn't know med schools recruited people. I just figured they had enough applicants the way it was without asking people to apply when they only accept less than 10% usually anyway.

I'll be the cynic, and I will call the letter fundraising on the part of the school. They want to collect as much money as possible from people who may have the credentials to be accepted at their school

Originally posted by idq1i
I'll be the cynic, and I will call the letter fundraising on the part of the school. They want to collect as much money as possible from people who may have the credentials to be accepted at their school

well, i'll be cynical to your cynicism ;) If you're fortunate enough to interview there, you'll see if there's a school thats hurting for money, it sure as **** isnt Wash U. They enjoy one of the largest endowments (private and federal) of any medical school in the US, have some the sexiest classroom and clinical facilities of any school I interviewed at, and some of the best financial aid deals of any med school out there. even if every med school applicant out there applied to wash u and paid the 50 bucks, it would still be a drop in the bucket to them. ;)

I think premeds often fail to realize that it does in fact cost admissions offices lots of time and money to pour through several thousand applicants and accompanying paperwork it takes to decide on a class of 100-200 students. So while it sucks to pay for secondaries you really cant villify them for charging a fee (that is much lower than many other schools mind you) ;)

And you fail to realize the criteria for those letters to go out: a 32 on the MCAT. A person who has a 32 on the MCAT and a 2.9 GPA most likely has no chance at WU. Never the less, that letter may entice them to send in the secondary with the check enclosed anyway. I just think it is a bit dishonest.

I also think that an automatic secondary is not competely honest .

Originally posted by idq1i
And you fail to realize the criteria for those letters to go out: a 32 on the MCAT. A person who has a 32 on the MCAT and a 2.9 GPA most likely has no chance at WU. Never the less, that letter may entice them to send in the secondary with the check enclosed anyway. I just think it is a bit dishonest.

Obviously I know the criteria :rolleyes: uhhh.....ok....well seeing as though these letters are sent entirely on the basis on your MCAT score alone, how do you conclude that Wash U is targeting this 2.9 gpa 32 MCAT crowd or whatever for exploitation? Does the 3.8-9 gpa 32 mcat student have a chance at Wash U? Anecdotally, yes, I know two people from my undergrad who didnt have 34+ MCATs who were admitted there.

If someone has a 2.9 and a 32+ mcat, well its at their discretion to apply there, and I'm thinking most premeds in that situation would be dissuaded from applying there even if wash u sent them a platinum watch with "apply to wash u" etched on it after the MCAT. I honestly dont think Wash U would sit there and expect for students to not see their averages as a 3.8 and 36+ mcat and apply anyways to fill their coffers. And way more often than not people who have a 32-33+ plus mcats will have a GPA competitive for Wash U :rolleyes:

WashU is doing this for 3 reasons:

1. Increase $$ thru application fees

2. Get a higher student selectivity ranking for US News (MCAT)

3. Get a lower acceptance percentage for US News

WashU is tied with Hopkins this year for the #2 spot. They are trying to move up to the sole #2 spot next year (nobody will ever beat Harvard, they have too many hospital affiliates who jack up their NIH funding)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, to the OP, I got the same letter, and it was identical except it said "Based on your terrific performance, I decided to write to you to make sure that you are aware of the outstanding opportunities for developing your career at Wash U..."

I was happy to receive the letter, but now that everyone sayz that it's primarily a money making scheme, that sucks...and I agree that it probably is sent out to those around the midwest...

Originally posted by DW
Obviously I know the criteria :rolleyes: uhhh.....ok....well seeing as though these letters are sent entirely on the basis on your MCAT score alone, how do you conclude that Wash U is targeting this 2.9 gpa 32 MCAT crowd or whatever for exploitation? Does the 3.8-9 gpa 32 mcat student have a chance at Wash U? Anecdotally, yes, I know two people from my undergrad who didnt have 34+ MCATs who were admitted there.

If someone has a 2.9 and a 32+ mcat, well its at their discretion to apply there, and I'm thinking most premeds in that situation would be dissuaded from applying there even if wash u sent them a platinum watch with "apply to wash u" etched on it after the MCAT. I honestly dont think Wash U would sit there and expect for students to not see their averages as a 3.8 and 36+ mcat and apply anyways to fill their coffers. And way more often than not people who have a 32-33+ plus mcats will have a GPA competitive for Wash U :rolleyes:

I am not arguing with you over your knowledge. What I am saying that sending out secondaries to EVERYONE is not the most ethical thing to do. I had a school that sent me a rejection letter a week after I sent them a check. Obviously, this school thought that I wasn't a good fit for them. Therefore, I believe it was unethical of them to send out a check request if they had absolutely no plans on even granting me an interview.

Washington U is worse. They solicit applications without even knowing the applicants' profiles. In my opinion, this is no better than the Publishers' Clearinghouse sending out "YOU JUST WON 1 MILLION DOLLARS" letters

i got the exact same score as you and received the recruiting letter the same day i received their secondary in teh mail! This was about a week after i was processed

no; i received two packets...although both packets had the same brochure in it. i have been processed since july 14th (or 16th...i forget)..

Originally posted by DW
but no it sure doesnt guarantee an interview if a school sends you recruiting mail (screw you, Penn :p).

Screw you WashU :p

I got the letter, and then after I applied I got a huge book with every PI at WashU so that I could choose who I wanted to interview with. The MD/PhD program then declined to give me an interview.

In their defense, the MD program decided to interview me. After looking at the AMSA Student Surveys (http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm) I knew it would be a waste of my time.

BTW, it is very strange that Harvard's affiliates all get counted for the NIH funding, but Penn's don't. Though US News claims to use the information that they are given by the schools. Hmmmm, I guess that's for another thread...

Originally posted by MacGyver
WashU is doing this for 3 reasons:

1. Increase $$ thru application fees

2. Get a higher student selectivity ranking for US News (MCAT)

3. Get a lower acceptance percentage for US News

WashU is tied with Hopkins this year for the #2 spot. They are trying to move up to the sole #2 spot next year (nobody will ever beat Harvard, they have too many hospital affiliates who jack up their NIH funding)
My naivete would have initially told me to dismiss this as worry mongering if I hadn't seen this first hand in the last couple months. Between my interview and 2nd visit at OSU, the new rankings came out in which OSU moved up 7 spots. Every staff/student that I came across in that 2nd visit mentioned the new ranking and how much focus the new dean has on it.
There's no question that the deans of schools are better businessmen/gamers than they are physicians. Just like holding/moving inventories to make volume/profit targets look better at the end of a quarter, it's little things like this that show how medical schools play the Rankings game...
Just like CEO bonuses, I'm certain that a dean's effectiveness is in part measured by movement in the rankings. To think otherwise is just gullible.

Does "Great place to go if you want to be a cog in the machinery of the academic medical establishment" [AMSA website] tell you anything about WashU?

:idea:

Originally posted by Neuronix
BTW, it is very strange that Harvard's affiliates all get counted for the NIH funding, but Penn's don't. Though US News claims to use the information that they are given by the schools.

I disagree. The following is a list of all hospitals/clinics affiliated with Penn:

University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
Phoenixville Hospital
Presbyterian Medical Center
Pennsylvania Hospital
Penn Medicine at Radnor
Wissahickon Hospice
The Chester County Hospital
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Children's Seashore House
Chestnut Hill HealthCare
Englewood Hospital
St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network of Bethlehem
Veterans Affairs Medical Center
York Hospital

Now, there are only 2 hospitals on that list that garner significant NIH funding: Upenn medical center and CHOP. If you look at the NIH rankings below, you will see that US News must have included both CHOP and UPenn in the NIH money, otherwise they would not have beaten out Hopkins in the overall money slot (US News uses an average of 2001 and 2002).

Harvard, on the other hand, has all of the following affiliates:

Dana Farber Cancer
McLean Hospital
Mt Auburn Hospital
Cambridge Hospital
Mass Eye & Ear Infirmary
Spaulding Rehab Hospital
Schepens Eye Research Inst
MGH
Boston Childrens Hospital
Joslin Diabetes Center
Mass Mental Health Center
B&W
Brockton VA Medical Center
Beth Israel Deac

On Harvard's list, there are 5 NIH giants--B&W, MGH, Dana Farber, Childrens, and BI/Deac

US News includes all hospital affiliates for Penn in its rankings. If you look at the latest US News rankings, you'll see that Penn is rated above Hopkins. Look at the NIH rankings below. The only way thats possible is to include CHOP and the other hospital affiliates in Penn's total, because otherwise Hopkins beats out Penn. US News uses an average of 2001 and 2002 NIH funding.

2003 US News rankings (based on FY 2002 NIH data):

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/premium/main/mdrrank.php

FY 2002 NIH rankings:

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/trends/rnk02all1to100.htm

FY 2001 Hopkins NIH money:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/2002/MARCH/020321.htm

FY 2001 Penn NIH money:

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/mar02/NIH.html

Penn and Hopkins (among others) are organized such that they report NIH funding in terms of med school + university hospital affiliate.

So when US News lists Penn's research funding as 431.4 million for 2002, that includes the School of Medicine + UPenn Hospital + CHOP (and other affiliates)

Hopkins is comprised of Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Bayview. Baltimore is a small city relative to Philly and Boston so they dont have nearly as many clinic/hospital affiliates.

Hopkins 2001 NIH: 334 million
Hopkins 2002 NIH: 510 million

Hopkins Avg: 422 million

Note: US News must be using some kind of weird NIH numbers, because according to them, Hopkins avg was only 372 million

Penn 2001 NIH: 327 million
Penn 2001 CHOP: 54 million
Penn 2002 NIH: 418 million
Penn 2002 CHOP: 63 million

Penn Avg (no CHOP): 372.5 mill
Penn Avg (w/ CHOP): 431.4 million

Harvard is different, because there is no such thing as "Harvard University Hospital." Therefore, Harvard reports its med school funding in discrete units for its med school and for its hospital affiliates (17 total) separately.

Harvard Med school gets "only" 273.1 million for its med school alone, putting it at #12 on the NIH list. However, when you include the 5 powerhouse hospital affiliates with its total, it skyrockets to almost 1 billion dollars. The next closest med school + affiliates can only come to 1/2 of that amount.

The bottom line is that all med schools include their hospital affiliates in the US News calculations, except for Stanford, UT Southwestern, UColorado, UVirginia, UMaryland and some others. Look at the US News link above to verify this.

I have often stated that part of the reason that Harvard does so well is that every hospital in Boston wants the "Harvard name" attached to it. Whether thats fair or not I leave to you to decide.

"It's expertise is like needle-nosed pliers - all basic science research and subspecialties"

I like the needle-nosed pliers bit best ... :laugh:

Reading everyone's posts I am getting completely bummed about WashU. What was I thinking applying to this school?? I guess I just threw it into my shopping cart when I was going up and donw the grocery aisles but now that I am at the checkout counter I am having second thoughts.

Fifty bucks is no small chicken feed for me and I am working my *ss off to make the money for these secondaries. I think these are very valid points and I am incredibly mad about the increasing applicant pool inorder to decrease the acceptance rate. Very sleazy if you ask me. I would rather apply to a nice place like East Virginia MedSchool (rural medicine!!) where at least I have a better chance of acceptance and my $75 might actually go to some use.

I didn't get a letter and I did not score in the 35 range. I think I am just going to get my nose wiped by this school....

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I got the recruitment letter after I had submitted my primary, and Wash U was not on my list. I added it at the last minute, and everything went like clockwork. Two weeks later I got the info for the secondary. Two weeks after that I got the invite for the interview. Three weeks after my interview I got the acceptance. I think it's highly ironic that the one school I didn't even think of applying to is the one that I'm going to end up at.

For you guys that haven't finished up this application cycle yet, don't write yourselves off yet. While it's true that Wash U has crazy average MCATs and gpas, you have to remember that these are AVERAGES, as in some are higher and some are lower.

As DW pointed out, Wash U is like the last school in the world to try to make more money through applications. This school is bleeding money. It's ridiculous. As for selectivity ranking, Wash U already has the highest selectivity rank according to the US News and World Report blah. The only one I could see is perhaps trying to decrease the acceptance percentage.

I also checked out the AMSA website with student opinions when I was trying to decide between Wash U and other schools. I also noticed some rather negative comments with trepidation. However, I also noticed that the number of surveys filled out was a measly 10 . To me, that was hardly representative of the whole school. What was more important to me was seeing first-hand what the students were like. Luckily I got this chance twice, once when I interviewed and once when I returned for Revisit Weekend. Needless to say, I was suitably impressed and I'm excited to start this fall. Of course, every person is different and what might suit one person may not suit another.

So basically all I'm trying to say is not form these opinions about a place till you've gone to see it yourself. Just go in to EVERY school with an open mind and you'll see good and bad things about every school. Don't bother with prejudging things till you get a first hand look and get to form your own opinions - not going off those of someone else.

Good luck to you all!

In response to those espousing the money raising theory... Wash U put me up for a night for free, provided a complementary breakfast, and far and away the best spread for lunch I encountered at any school. The school really is DRIPPING with money (apparently the students pop up with an idea for a project and the school throws money at them to put it into action). It is a great a school and i think most of you would find it to be a treat to interview there. The only downside I found was the student body (3-4 years seemed cool, but the underclassmen seemed liked hypercompetitive bubbles just waiting to burst once ranking began 2nd year). The school and faculty, however, seem superb. Don?t write this school off too quickly (who in their right mind would write off the 2nd best schhol in the country?). I really believe the recruiting is completely due to their location, which they seem to be very conscious of.