Wash U Residents, how do you like it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Ivy

Miss Understood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Very general query--My fiance just got a job in STL and so I'm seriously considering ranking Wash U at the top of my list. I've been doing some research online but still don't have a good sense of the program.

Are there any Wash U gen surg residents out there? How do you like it? Any particular strengths and/or weaknesses of the program that you can comment on? Are you happy in St Louis? etc

Even if you matched elsewhere any impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Doc Ivy said:
Hey all,

Very general query--My fiance just got a job in STL and so I'm seriously considering ranking Wash U at the top of my list. I've been doing some research online but still don't have a good sense of the program.

Are there any Wash U gen surg residents out there? How do you like it? Any particular strengths and/or weaknesses of the program that you can comment on? Are you happy in St Louis? etc

:thumbup:

Even if you are the greatest med student ever, which I don't doubt, your post comes off a little cocky to me.

SLUser11 said:

Even if you are the greatest med student ever, which I don't doubt, your post comes off a little cocky to me.

Sorry you feel that way :( I didn't mean to sound cocky, just asking a question. Do I think I have a shot at Wash U? Who knows? Probably not. But I don't think it's arrogant to want to know more about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc Ivy said:
Sorry you feel that way :( I didn't mean to sound cocky, just asking a question. Do I think I have a shot at Wash U? Who knows? Probably not. But I don't think it's arrogant to want to know more about the program.

it didn't seem cocky to me at all - seemed like a genuine question and an appropriate one if yr fiance has a job there.
I would suggest writing to some of the residents if you can find their info online. also if you can, do an away rotation there. or at least research there. that experience will give you much more info than you will get from just reading websites or talking to people. it will tell you whether you fit in there, whether you like the residents, the attendings, etc. Also whether the residents are truly happy or not.
Good luck!

avgjoe said:
it didn't seem cocky to me at all - seemed like a genuine question and an appropriate one if yr fiance has a job there.
I would suggest writing to some of the residents if you can find their info online. also if you can, do an away rotation there. or at least research there. that experience will give you much more info than you will get from just reading websites or talking to people. it will tell you whether you fit in there, whether you like the residents, the attendings, etc. Also whether the residents are truly happy or not.
Good luck!

Agreed ... didn't sound cocky to me either.

I've heard good things. Nothing first hand. It's on my list. I know they are open to research ... even working on an MBA, etc.

What are you thought's on Yale's program ... on my list as well. Would you PM me?

Perhaps the interpretation of "cockiness" comes from the statement that you will rank Wash U at the top of your list, when in fact, you don't even know if you will get a residency interview there.

At any rate, I interviewed there and was quite impressed but hopefully we'll get some residents or students from there to comment for you.

Doc Ivy said:
Hey all,

Hi there,
The Wash U surgery department has a very detailed web page. You might e-mail the PD and ask for the e-mail of a resident or two to answer your questions.

What I know about Wash U:

1. Strong university program
2. Loads of emphasis on research and publications.
3. Fairly large program with both residents and fellows
4. Strong emphasis on academics

If you find this appealing and you are a strong candidate for a university general surgery program with strong academics, then you may be a good candidate for Wash U. You never know unless you do some research. You can certainly start with an e-mail to the department expressing your interrest in their program if you do not get any solid answers here.

The following folks interviewed there last year: Smoke This, avgjoe, cb131098, fishmonger69, rizz1431, HMS '05, geekgirl, doctan, Surg2b, ChiSoxMD, lilkidsurg

You might send a PM to a couple of these folks and see if they can answer some of your quesitons.

njbmd :)

SLUser11 said:

WTF??? :confused:

Kimberli Cox said:
Perhaps the interpretation of "cockiness" comes from the statement that you will rank Wash U at the top of your list, when in fact, you don't even know if you will get a residency interview there.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Anyway, I don't care, and I'm not judging the girl, I just thought that's how her statement would come off to the SDN audience....

It's audacious for 95% of med students to make that statement based on the combo of surgery and Wash U's competitiveness, and it can be interpreted as "if Wash U is lucky enough to get me."

Once again, I'm only defending my statement, not trying to attack the OP. I don't doubt her competitiveness, and overall I really....don't.....care.

SLUser11 said:
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Anyway, I don't care, and I'm not judging the girl, I just thought that's how her statement would come off to the SDN audience....

It's audacious for 95% of med students to make that statement based on the combo of surgery and Wash U's competitiveness, and it can be interpreted as "if Wash U is lucky enough to get me."

Once again, I'm only defending my statement, not trying to attack the OP. I don't doubt her competitiveness, and overall I really....don't.....care.

nice recovery

Thanks for all of the replies, especially to Kimberli and njbmd I appreciate the advice, you guys are great!

Agreed that my original post assumed a couple of things for the sake or argument 1) that I would get an interview and 2) that Wash U would rank me, but hey one has to think positively and be optimistic in the game ;) And I didn't think it was neccessary/appropriate to post my stats to substantiate the question

Thanks again, and keep the replies coming

You could consider Saint Louis U as well. Plenty of variety, trauma, and a much more lifestyle friendly program than WashU.

I am a Wash U 4th year med student. Residents seem quite happy here, the program has some outstanding attendings, and there is a real focus on teaching. Research and academics are also very strong. Work hour compliance is emphasized. Downside for some could be St. Louis; otherwise the program is terrific.

p.s. Let's give each other a break, OK, with the cockiness thing. The OP was just trying to ask a question.