Wash U secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q: Have you had any personal experience or relationship with Washington University. (1800 char)

What's up with that? Do I have to say her why I like this school and so on or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
Do I have to say her why I like this school and so on or what?
Why not.

Try to work Nelly into your answer, I'm sure they would appreciate that. ;)

I do not knoq. I have never been in St. Louis but I know how good that school is. I want to say YES but I am not sure what I really should talk about since I have never been even on their campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I was being faceitous (sp?) before.

It sounds like this question is referring more to things like whether you have any relatives that went to Wash U or Wash U School of Medicine specifically, or perhaps if you or a member of your family were a patient at Barnes-Jewish or something.

I think it would be fine to leave this blank if you can't think of a way it applies to you.

Like this:

As my iterative relationship with the musical master known as NELLY has matured, I have grown to savour the artistic culture of the greater St. Louis area....in fact, the celebrated opus of NELLY has had a formative influence upon my college years...and to conclude, I owe my profound enthusiasm to spend the remainder my life in St Louis to NELLY.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
I do not knoq. I have never been in St. Louis but I know how good that school is. I want to say YES but I am not sure what I really should talk about since I have never been even on their campus.

Do you know Washington U. alumni? It might not even be medical people, but other professors you might have had. It's going to be really hard to BS this one if there's NO personal relationship, but you could write a really good essay if you ask someone who went there for a few highlights about the place.

Good luck!

My prof worked in Wash u for many years. I might ask him. I might also buy a bus ticket to Saint Louis for a weekend to tell that I have actually been on campus

I'll be attending Wash U this August, and I can tell you that they are not looking for any particular thing in that question. Just put NO if you've never had any personal experience or relationship (eg. a relatives who are students or alumni). About why you like the school, they don't really want you to answer that in that question. That will most likely come during the interview (unless they specifically asked for it in the secondary, applications change from year to year). Hope that helps.

While I think all open ended essay questions should be answered eg "In this space you may add any additional info you would like the AdCom to know about you" I think if a school asks a specific question "Do you have a connection to Wash U?" it's better to be upfront and say 'no' than write some BS essay about something other than what the question asked

Do you have a connection to Wash U

"Well, one time I saw St Louis on a map, and I've always wanted to see the arch - what is that made of by the way, cow hide? - and it is true that I "Wash me" every day...."

I think you'de just end up sounding stupid, like you can't read a question properly...

going along with what warpath said - I put "No." Last year - didnt get an interview for MD/PhD, but did for MD... so I guess that answers that - it doesn f-ing matter!

or you could always go with putting

"Yes, I am a future med school alum"....

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have any personal experience with the school so I left it blank. What's so idiotic about that?

dodger dog = idiot

=)

i applied to wash u!

i reallllllllllllllllllly wanna go there. its my dream school. born and raised in the ghetto streets of st louis

haha... it's all good. I know Dr. Kevin... he's just jokin around with me...

dodger dog and i r tight bikini princess!

would u mind showing us a pic of u in the article of clothing in ur username?

(ouuuch. dr kevin gets slapped) :)