Wash U vs Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you all compare these two schools? I was thinking about withdrawing from Baylor because, on paper, Wash U seems superior to Baylor in just about every respect. There was just something about Baylor that I can't put my finger on that I really liked when I interviewed. What do other people who interviewed at these two schools think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are great schools. Its pretty much a toss up between the two. I'd say the only convincing reasons to choose one school definitively over the other are based on subjective grounds that vary from person to person (i.e. location, proximity to home, etc).

Baylor has the TMC, but as much as the students there hyped it up I'm not so sure that it gives you a huge clinical advantage as some would say.

Baylor has a condensed curriculum which some people like, but again thats really a subjective criteria and lots of people dont like it either.

I'd say the cities they are located in are roughly equal. Neither Houston nor St Louis compares to NY, Chicago, LA, etc. St. Louis is a lot less humid and milder in general than Houston. In the immediate neighborhoods, I'd say Washu has the edge, but its pretty close. Neither school is located in a bad environment.

I'm choosing WashU because they gave me a full scholarship. If I was offered a full scholarship to Baylor, its very possible I might have gone there. You could ask 100 people about the comparison between the schools and possibly have a 50/50 split on opinions.

Baylor and WashU are both great schools; but I wouldn't loose any sleep over such a decision. I would choose WashU in a heartbeat. But that's specific to me. If you have some Texas ties or other such considerations, then it might be Baylor in a heartbeat for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by MacGyver:
•Both are great schools. Its pretty much a toss up between the two. I'd say the only convincing reasons to choose one school definitively over the other are based on subjective grounds that vary from person to person (i.e. location, proximity to home, etc).•••••I agree 100 percent with MacGyver, both schools are fantastic! Make a decision based on your own factors and personality fit with the school and city. As for me, I withdrew from WashU the day I was accepted to Baylor.

As other posters have said, you're not going to go wrong with either school. When I was deciding last year I went with Baylor. Personally, I thought that Baylor had a strong edge in clinical training, that they were comparable in research in terms of actual opportunities available to students, I preferred the condensed basic science curriculum, I liked Houston better than St. Louis, and I just got an overall better vibe at Baylor than at Wash U.

Go with your gut feeling.