Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2011
Status
Hey all,

I need some help deciding among these 3 amazing schools that I've gotten into. It's getting close to the deadline and I would like some more input from some of you who may have more exposure to these different schools.

UTSW - like it for its great reputation for preparing well trained docs, and they are giving me $5000/year.

BCM - no financial grant/scholarship, but it is in the Texas medical center (omg!), and like the 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum that affords more time for rotations and electives.

Wash U (St. Louis) - an amazing school and highly ranked (not sure how much weight to place on that though), seems like a traditional curriculum though, not too familiar with the medical center there nor the student-body and camaraderie amongst them.

Any thoughts? Would love any input to help me with the decision...I'm a Texas resident btw.

Thanks in advance!

Cinclus

Es un pájaro.
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Behind the waterfall
Status
Attending Physician
Hey all,

I need some help deciding among these 3 amazing schools that I've gotten into. It's getting close to the deadline and I would like some more input from some of you who may have more exposure to these different schools.

UTSW - like it for its great reputation for preparing well trained docs, and they are giving me $5000/year.

BCM - no financial grant/scholarship, but it is in the Texas medical center (omg!), and like the 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum that affords more time for rotations and electives.

Wash U (St. Louis) - an amazing school and highly ranked (not sure how much weight to place on that though), seems like a traditional curriculum though, not too familiar with the medical center there nor the student-body and camaraderie amongst them.

Any thoughts? Would love any input to help me with the decision...I'm a Texas resident btw.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have good finaid for Wash U? 'Cause they're ridiculously expensive. The TX schools would be super-cheap for you as a TX resident. I'm a Baylor fan for the reasons you mentioned above and because of the awesome people and atmosphere at the school. The way their curriculum is set up beats Wash U's very traditional curriculum to death, in my book. I did love Wash U when interviewing, but I personally felt more at home at BCM. I have no experience with UTSW, as I did not apply.

Full disclosure: I will be matriculating at BCM in July.

sliceofbread136

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2011
I'd say baylor over utsw based on feedback I've heard from med student friends (Baylor life is better and you have more step prep time). Don't have any input on Wash U except that it is expensive.

2010houston

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
These are all great schools where you will get an excellent education. Did you feel more "at home" at any of them? Do you know what area of the country you eventually want to live in? Congrats, you'll do great whichever you choose.

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I would go for Baylor unless you're getting tons of aid from WashU.

Aug 6, 2009
TX
Status
Medical Student
I'd say baylor over utsw based on feedback I've heard from med student friends (Baylor life is better and you have more step prep time). Don't have any input on Wash U except that it is expensive.
Disclosure : I am currently a 2nd year at UTSW

Agree with the WashU part. However, I've talked to some of my friends who go to BCM and she complains about her classmates etc... I've had nothing but positive experiences with my classmates here at UTSW even as we begin the ****show that is STEP 1 studying.

Also, UTSW is currently revamping its curriculum. They should have first 2 years P/F for your class and although it won't really effect you, I think they have a 1.5 curriculum in the works as well.

A lot of my friends and I were also between UTSW and Baylor and what swung it for us was the students that we met at MS0 (awesome) and the sense of family/camaraderie we got from visiting.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Apr 8, 2011
Status
can any current students comment about:
student life...is baylor more grad school like and utsw have a college feel? baylor seems to have more freedom choosing schedules, less class time, and maybe more non traditionals? whereas utsw has small groups and the colleges and study carrells?
ethnic diversity...seems like utsw has more minorities whereas baylor is primarily cauc.?

thanks for your help!

AWK87DOC

All or Nothing!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Disclosure : I am currently a 2nd year at UTSW

Agree with the WashU part. However, I've talked to some of my friends who go to BCM and she complains about her classmates etc... I've had nothing but positive experiences with my classmates here at UTSW even as we begin the ****show that is STEP 1 studying.

Also, UTSW is currently revamping its curriculum. They should have first 2 years P/F for your class and although it won't really effect you, I think they have a 1.5 curriculum in the works as well.

A lot of my friends and I were also between UTSW and Baylor and what swung it for us was the students that we met at MS0 (awesome) and the sense of family/camaraderie we got from visiting.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
hey, i've heard this curriculum revamping a couple of times, is it really true? I'm definitely set on utsw but P/F would be the cherry on top

Also to the OP, i chose utsw over baylor mainly because I got full funding from utsw whereas baylor gave me squat. I didn't go to MS0 so I haven't met a lot of my future classmates but I am a grad student at utsw and i can speak volumes for the student body:) The 1.5 year curriculum at baylor is sweet though, good luck:luck:

Reactions: Oceans12
OP
Sep 21, 2011
Status
thanks for all your input guys...i think im gonna stick with baylor...even though utsw had an awesome ms0 weekend! Houston and the med center seem to be calling to me :)

Nymphicus

kane o ke kai
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thanks for all your input guys...i think im gonna stick with baylor...even though utsw had an awesome ms0 weekend! Houston and the med center seem to be calling to me :)
You've got some great choices and you can't go wrong really.

maymay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
can any current students comment about:
student life...is baylor more grad school like and utsw have a college feel? baylor seems to have more freedom choosing schedules, less class time, and maybe more non traditionals? whereas utsw has small groups and the colleges and study carrells?
ethnic diversity...seems like utsw has more minorities whereas baylor is primarily cauc.?

thanks for your help!
Hi Beck! I can't comment on how UTSW students feel as a whole - I have one friend who just graduated and was pretty happy there, and that's the extent of my knowledge about it.

Baylor felt a lot like undergrad in terms of freedom for the first 1.5 years - sure, there were classes every morning, but since attendance wasn't required and almost everything was streamed, my schedule was really flexible. Clinicals, obviously, are very scheduled. On the other hand, I appreciate a weekend at home a lot more now!

In terms of diversity, I've been incredibly impressed over and over by the range of experiences my classmates have had. Looking up the numbers for ethnic diversity, but I see that in 2006, URMs made up 28% of the class. I don't think that trend has changed, and even before checking the numbers, wouldn't have been inclined to say we were predominantly any ethnicity. If you're interested in reaching out, too, Saturday Morning Science is pretty popular program sponsored by the Office of Diversity (and there are more programs that aren't officially affiliated with the office).

Status
Not open for further replies.