Wash U vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adesua

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fortunate to have been accepted to the MD/PhD programs at these 2 schools but as the decision date draws nearer, I still can't let go of the good things both schools have to offer. In the future, I hope to specialize in infectious diseases and conduct research in the field of microbiology.

I decided to post this here in addition to posting it on the pre-MSTP forum in order to get feedback from actual medical students (who are more familiar not just with what happens in medical schools but also with what happens post-medical school). Any advice will be helpful.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

well, i'm not starting med school till august, but what the hell, none of these pple have been to both schools anyway. therefore, i feel as qualified as anyone else to say "there's no way in hell that i would go to st. louis instead of NYC to attend similar programs."

both are highly recognized. personally, i would pick washington U...it's got a slightly better reputation for research. i think this year washington U was ranked 2nd for best researched based med school...just behind harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
and by the way...congratulations...they're both fantastic schools

Don't fall victim to the idea that St. Louis is a boring city. Both the medical school and the WashU campus are in exciting parts of the city. Granted, while in NYC you will have 1000 things to do, in St. Louis you will have 50-100. But there are plenty of things to keep you busy around here.

Keep in mind the pricetag that things in NYC come with and what you can get for the same price in STL.

I moved here from NYC and i had a blast throughout my 4 years here. Although chances are i won't be attending WUSTL SOM, the medical school is great. Although i applied MD only (and interviewed at both WUSTL and Columbia), i have to say that i prefer WashU much more.

I am pretty sure MSTP people from both schools can give you more insightfull responses about the school they attend but if you want more info about the city, i would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

From what I've heard from WU MSTP friends, they are treated quite well by WUMS. I think WU has a better mstp program and a much larger program compared to Columbia. Also, WU like many other top schools is a research machine.

I realize this probably didnt help, so sorry about that.

Good luck!! Either way you really cant go wrong.

i dont know much about either, but it seems to be for MD/PhD you should go to the place with the better researhc program you are interested in. All i know is that Columbia is good for Neuro.

Thanks for the response everyone. I decided on Wash U!

Man, if I were in your shoes, I would attend WashU. The MSTP program seems like the crown jewel of WashU's curriculum. They get whatever residency they want, too.